Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wonderful Wednesday!!!








Wonderful Wednesday everyone! It was a wonderful Wednesday for us because Joe’s fever went away and he got to visit Leeza today with us! She was HAPPY to see her daddy too!! We didn’t get to go see her until noon, because she was taken to the hospital today for her “medical checkups”. So, we spent from noon until a little bit after 2 with her today. She got a bit fussy, because she missed her 10 o’clock nap, so she slept on Daddy again for about 40 minutes. It was so sweet! I changed her into another outfit today…she looked PRECIOUS! Today, Leeza donned some pink “yoga pants” from Old Navy, and a long sleeve onesie that has a pink Platinum visa on it that says “Ivana Spends A lot” on it. She looked quite cute! The pants were 6 to 12 months, and fit great, and the top was 12 to 18 months and also fit her well. She was READY FOR YOGA!
We had good play time, but then she really started getting fussy and we could just tell she was so tired. It didn’t take her long to settle onto Daddy and fall asleep. We are going to ask Dr. Irina if we can start spending more time with her, since she is awake until 3. Our 2 weeks bonding is up on Friday already (yes, it’s gone by really fast for us too!!) so hopefully we can start spending from 11-3 with her. Dr. Irina wasn’t in her office today so we didn’t get a chance to chat.
I asked Tatiana if at the medical checkup, if Leeza jumped from the nurses arms and said “I CAN WALK NOW..WATCH ME!” I am now speaking English and walking and even doing gymnastics since I met my family! Then, did she do a double back hand spring and say…”I AM READY TO GO TO FLORIDA NOW!” I need a tan, and I’m anxious to see what other cute outfits my mom has picked out for me!!!”


When are we coming home??? NEVER! (just kidding!)
Several people have asked what the next steps are. As of Friday, we will have completed the mandatory 2 week bonding period required by Kazakhstani law. We will apply for court on Friday. In Kostanai, they have pre-court first, which basically is a hearing with the judge, etc present to make sure all our paperwork is in order, and a court date is set at that time. Typically, pre-court is about a week after bonding is over, and court is about 3 weeks later. Apparently, the judge is on vacation until the 23rd, so we don’t have pre-court or anything until then (I think?!). So, if that is our timeline, it would mean our court date would HOPEFULLY be the week of Sept 7th or 8th…or maybe the next week, the week of the 15th. We don’t know yet. The plan WAS that we would all try to stay thru court, and then leave after court, to wait out the waiting period. After court, there is a 2 week waiting period before Leeza is “officially” Leeza Grace Serra. After that, her visa and passport can be applied for. This takes a couple weeks, and then we have to take her to Almaty for her “exit interview” and medical exam at the embassy, then we can come home. Yes, it’s a very long process. However, one that is totally worth the wait plus some. Leeza is certainly our dream come true! Now, the plan is that Joe and Sean will hopefully be here thru court (if it’s not too drawn out), then they will leave after court. Joe will come back when Leeza is ready to go to Almaty for her embassy appointment. Joe has to come back because I left all our embassy paperwork at home. I felt SURE I was coming home after court too. However, I just feel strongly the need to stay and spend time with Leeza. Plus, I am so happy here and I Love it! I do feel safe and taken care of, and if I have high speed internet, then I’ll be even happier! The food is fabulous, the beer is good, and the weather could not be more perfect!!! I don’t really want to think about Joe and Sean leaving. If Sean didn’t have to start 5th grade on August 20th, I would let him stay here with me. He is having such a good time and he’s so entertaining. Today, the caregivers told Tatiana that Sean is a good caregiver and he always helps at keeping the kids happy. Sean was BEAMING! It was really sweet, and it’s really true! Today, when Leeza was “having a spaz attack” because she was just so tired, Sean started dancing for her and goofing around and she’s just staring at him., mesmerized, crying halted in mid-sob!! Tatiana even said that Leeza will never be bored with Sean around!! Sean is already saying that he needs to come back with Joe when we bring her home. He really does love it here too! Today, after a delicious lunch at the “Pancake house” (they had the YUMMIEST CREPES! I had chicken and cheese, and ham and cheese, and chocolate and whip cream one for dessert), we went to the market. I got nesting dolls for Leeza, a small purse that I can carry that goes across my body for money, and passport only, and Sean got a green Kazakh hat. He looked pretty cute in it!!

It’s a nice day today. It’s overcast and warmish, but not hot. Joe is feeling a lot better, but still declined the shopping trip and came back after lunch to take a nap.
It was a wonderful Wednesday for all of us today!! I know Leeza was glad to see her daddy back-he’s a good snuggler! I also think she will like yoga, and shopping.

19 comments:

Joyce said...

Dear Serra Family,
Well, it sure sounds like you are having lots of Fun! Jen and Jim enjoyed themselves also. Little Lezza is a doll, and your are right....this wait is well worth it! Have a Totally awesome Thursday!
Kaz Grandmama Joyce

BabyKazfan said...

Hi Susan! When your blog time says 4 a.m., what time is it there? Is it +10 hours from your post time? Have you noticed Leeza getting a little heavier? She really looks like she's getting bigger! So darn pretty!!!

Monica said...

It is a long process but you're certainly in the home-stretch now! and it's soooooo worth the interruption of what a normal August-September would have been if you were all just at home getting ready for school. Sean will be fine even if he misses a BUNCH of school in my opinion. What a LIFE experience he's having. I think it's worth even missing a whole SEMESTER of school.

Leeza looks precious in the outfit you had her in. She's so darling and I can't wait to see pics of her living her Florida life at home.
:)

Patrick & Eileen said...

First of all, I'm glad to hear that Joe's fever broke and he made it for a visit. Great news!

Secondly....you guys are having FUN! The laughs, good food and shopping (who doesn't like that)!!

I can't believe your 2 weeks bonding period is almost up. Time really does pass quickly.

Sean is really having a life experience there. It would be so awesome if we could take our 14 year old nephew Zach (we've taken him on trips before). One thing we've learned though...don't take the kids out of school to go on a trip. The amount of homework Zach had (even for choir and gym) was amazing when we took him to France for 3 weeks. We couldn't believe it. But in Sean's case this is a life changing experience.

Leeza does appear to be changing a little. Filling out some as someone else noted.

Take care,
Eileen

Sandi said...

Another great post. Glad Joe is feeling better. Sounds like you had a wonderful day, and you are at your first countdown :)

I hope that your court date comes quickly and you get the nice judge.

BTW it is a wonderful Wednesday, I am heading out to VEGAS....

Miss you guys

sandi

Tricia said...

It is funny to see the baby house outfit in the first photo compared to the one you put her in. The platinum card outfit was so cute today. Kostanai really is a great place to be if you have to stay so long. My experience is that it just got a little bit harder after Chris left because I miss him and his companionship here. It will be great if Joe and Sean can stay as long as they can. But any homesickness you might experience will be worth the time you are spending with Leeza. And it will help to see Joe and Sean on video Skype when you are half a world away.

Angela said...

Sounds like another great day even with a little crankiness. It is so awesome that Sean is loving all this - definitely a once in a lifetime experience. As we said all along, he is a GREAT big brother.

May you have pre-court very, very soon. I just can't believe bonding is done at the end of the week. It has gone by so fast on this side of the globe.

I just set-up Skpe last night. I would love to practice at some point. I don't see your Skype name on your blog anymore. Mine is areinoehl.

Aaron and Julie said...

Is is possible to hear the smiles through your blog posts?? Even at the long wait ahead you are still smiling! Wow, bonding is nearly over - it goes so fast. Hopefully the time for pre-court & court goes the same way. Glad everyone is going to stay until court. I'm a bit late on this, but your post was awesome, Sean :) Even if you only post once a week, that is more than Aaron did :) It is great to hear things from your perspective!

You are all doing awesome.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm so glad Joe is well! Leeza looks cute in her new clothes!

Alysa said...

Glad to hear that Joe has recovered. I too cannot believe your bonding period is nearly over! Mine simply disappeared on me. No other way to put it.

It sounds like you are having a total blast in Kaz. What a wonderful experience for you all, but especially for Sean. I hope you do get a quick court date!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that Joe is feeling better. I've been reading along everyday. I'm also happy to know that I'll have a compatriot for at least a portion of my long stay in Kazakhstan. Crossing my fingers, still, as we get closer and closer!

Matthew Ruley said...

Whan an angel. Wow I cant belive that 2 weeks will be over soon. How time flies!

Hope court is sooner rather than later.

Glad Joe is feeling better. Nothing yuckier than feeling terrible and being in unfamiliar territory and without access to a dr.

Did you know Shannon is moving to anther state? Our Tampa crew is getting smaller...

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

It's hard for us to pick out a favorite picture this time! I love the baby house outfit, with the pants pulled up to the armpits. The caretakers were always so loving as they bundled and dressed the kids up tightly. And, there is nothing sweeter than a baby girl napping on her daddy. But, she sure is pretty in pink, too! You are going to have so much fun with her outfits! I don't blame you at all for staying the entire time. Seriously, if you can do it, and if you are safe, you will undoubtedly feel so good to know that you are not leaving Kaz without Leeza in your lap. And high-speed Internet?! What a bonus that would be!!! Glenn is taking Max and Tyler to the Bengals training camp tonight. Max is going to look so cute in his jersey! :-)

Here's to a process that keeps speeding along!

Jennifer said...

She just keeps changing! I can totally see her becoming more animated and just more open. She's beautiful and you all look so happy.

I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to hear that you're having a good time over there. Maybe when the girls are teenagers we can plan a trip back there and go on a couple week tour of Kaz. Oh wouldn't that be fun!

I'm glad Joe is feeling better.

Lovin' the posts!!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

Wow you do have a long process. But she is so worth it. We have not heard anything yet. I'm so excited to read how much you're enjoying the trip. I can't wait to go!!!

Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I can't welcome miss Leeza home! We'll have to figure something out. Congratulations! Wow, the time flew by.
Shannon

Kelly and Sne said...

Glad that Dad is feeling better. It stinks to be sick so far from home. I was always the one that caught the "BH cold"! Sounds like Leeza is healthy as a horse! And doing backflips already - she'll be ready for the Olympics soon enough! And she's as cute as ever - but you'll have to cover up that delicate skin against the sun...

Chris & Christy said...

Oh how I understand your yearning to stay with Leeza now that you have met her. :) Sounds like another crazy Kaz mom that I know. :) ME!

I am so glad to hear that you, and your family, are continuing to love Kaz and soak up the culture and your time there.

Congratulations on your graduation of the bonding period!

xoxo,
Christy

BabyKazfan said...

I just figured out how to post!! FINALLY!! Pictures are A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!! She is an ANGEL! Everyone is looking at the blog and talking about your amazing adventure! I love the pictures of Leeza (and you, sean, and Joe) all laughing! It just makes me smile!! LOVE YOU TONS!! XOXOOXOX, Aunt Nicole- can't wait to meet my little niece!