Thursday, August 7, 2008

Totally "Kazotic" experience!!!
















We are livin it large here in Kazakhstan-and I figured out why it took our laundry hours and hours to finish washing….we don’t have any cold water!!! It’s SCALDING hot, so….no washing machine, no toilet flushing, no showers. That’s the beauty of it not being so hot here, and taking a bath with baby wipes! We first noticed it when Sean announced the toilet wouldn’t flush. Then, Joe noticed when you turned the faucet on cold…nothing came out. However, you would like some nice scalding water, it works just dandy! It was a nice shade of brown, but it’s kinda light muddy color now. A big water truck was outside and all the babushka’s were carrying large buckets with water. We were like, hummmmmmmmmmmmm….I wonder how long this lasts?
Of course, I kinda think it’s cool….I have seen and heard so much about brown water and no hot water or no cold water, I was feeling left out that we hadn’t experienced that yet. However, now we have. We figured out how to “flush”, you just pour water down the toilet. Joe figured that out, but I remember when we visited my aunt Jane and Uncle “Hunk” in Oakland, California before we came to Kaz, that that’s what they do in the water shortage they are having.

We had another totally “kazotic” experience last night at dinner. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, in fact, it’s never happened to anyone we’d been with, including Tatiana and Eugene who live here. We went to the “Bamboo Garden” for dinner. It was a really cool open air restaurant and they were going to have a show later, with dancers, etc. We were sitting around, with Joel, Laurie, and Neil (the other couple who just arrived), and Ivan and Eugene had walked outside to smoke. I had almost finished my beer, when all of a sudden, these guys, with guns drawn, in black masks with holes for the eyes and mouth, and wearing military fatigues run past us. Now, me, being the dumb American, said, “Oh how fun, the show must be starting!!” My back was toward the masked armed men, so I couldn’t see. Loree said, “I don’t think it’s a show…there are people lying on the ground.” I got scared-we were there without Eugene and Ivan…so I grabbed my purse and got UNDER THE TABLE to call Eugene. I didn’t even notice that I was under the table. Sean asked me why I was under the table. LOL
Today, Sean told me that I dropped a couple “F bombs” too, which he didn’t approve us since we were with a 5 year old (Neil, Joel and Loree’s son is 5). As the phone was ringing, and I was cowering under the table, Eugene comes walking back in and tells us “Let’s go!” I was very happy to oblige!! Joe gave Eugene money for the beers and we drove away. The waitress told Eugene it would probably be “several hours” that they would be there. It was apparently the “Kazakh swat team” and there musta been some bad guys. I guess it’s good I didn’t whip my camera out and say, “Hey, stop, say cheese, I need this for my blog!!!!”
So, I did not get to have my chicken ka-bob for dinner. We went instead to this coffee house where I had a really yummy omelette. I love the food here. It’s really good and my tummy has been fine. I guess I am out of luck on getting skinny in Kazakhstan.

So…that was all last night (Wednesday night). Today its Thursday, and while we still only have scalding hot water, we haven’t had any men in masks or guns yet today. We did have a very sweet lil girl to play with though. It was warm today, probably our warmest day here. It’s warm in the sun, but there is always a breeze and it feels nice. I still didn’t break a sweat. I guess that’s fortunate since I am doing baby wipe baths for now. I'm glad I have low maintenace hair too....cuz NO shower for us today! We still don't look nearly as scary as we did after flying for 2 days then going straight to meet Leeza. I look at those pictures and shudder...we looked horrendous. No wonder Leeza cried when she met us....YIKES!
Since it was warmer out, we took Leeza inside the visitation room today. I really liked it. We were in there just with our family, and I recognized the plaid couches from Khadine and Bill’s blog playing with Dylan. I took off Leeza’s pants and socks and let her play in her shirt and diaper. I got to see her sweet feet. I love baby feet! (Doris…I am going to download baby feet pictures JUST FOR YOU!!)
Shannon-sorry, but I was a big 'copycat' and got a pic of my tan feet next to Leeza's white feet. :) I loved that pic of you and Alexa so I had to be JUST LIKE YOU!!!
Poor Leeza was a bit “gassy” today. You could just tell at times her tummy hurt. It would get very tight and then she’d “make some gas.”. It brought back memories of Sean at that age. She was comforted in Daddy’s arms though. She is really opening up with us…she is doing better at “snuggle buggling” with us than she did when we first met her. Every day we are here, I feel her ‘opening up’ more with us. We did finally hear her babble today. The caregivers told us she did, but we hadn’t heard much of it.
I wore some “new bling” today and she was happy. My girl really loves her bling!!!
I also noticed she has some strong abs!! The caregiver was changing her and she was lying down and lifted her head and neck up and her legs too…kinda like the “v sit” in yoga. I am thinking she will really like some “mommy and me yoga classes” and her abs are stronger than her mother’s!!! My girl has a strong core!!!

After we had to say “Paka Paka” and we spent about 15 minutes playing with all the kids in her group, we went to this restaurant called Kit Katz or something like that. It was REALLY good. I think I had my favorite meal so far. It was called “Chicken with sizzling mushrooms”. It had chicken, cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes. It was FABULOUS. Sean had spaghetti Bolognese and that was good too.
Tatiana took us to the market…which is only a 5 minute walk from our Kostanai crib. We got some salami, cheese, and the “salty cheese that is good with beer.”
Also, we are getting hooked up here with HIGH SPEED INTERNET, so we don’t have to move!! YAY! We are just getting our bearings here, and we can finally lock the door on the first try. I don’t want to move, as we are so centrally located. I just really wanted high speed internet. Eugene said they told him it takes 2 weeks, but he doesn’t think it will take that long. Of course, “he knows a guy” who works there and said he will see if we can’t be put to the top of the list. So, I am happy, as we like it here a lot.
We feel very safe, the apartment is full of other families. Plus, hopefully,Loree and Joel will also be staying in this apartment.
I am really paying attention to how to do things on my own (figuring out our bearings, locking the door myself, etc) because the more I stay, the more I don’t want to leave.
At the market today, I saw tons of jackets I can buy when the weather turns colder. I just don’t think I can leave Leeza. Plus, with the demise of our agency stateside, I don’t feel that comfortable leaving anyway. Again, this is not a “for sure” thing, but I’m feeling pretty strongly about it. Joe would come back to bring us home, plus I left all the embassy paperwork at home in Leeza’s room so he’d need to bring that. He could also bring some warmer clothes for Leeza, bottles, puffs, etc that I didn’t bring with me the first trip.

33 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Oh wow.....a Kaz Swat experience! Muddy scalding waters...oh and great food! You are having a very colorful experience my friend!

Wonderful that Leeza is opening up more and more.

I don't blame you for wishing to stay in Kaz! Very understandable.

Take care,
Eileen

Sandi said...

Ok your experience Wednesday night, OH MY. That is one for the books.

So great to see all the pictures, it puts a smile on my face to start the day.

Keep enjoying your time and loving Leeza.

sandi

Monica said...

OMGosh! But atleast the masked gun men were official police because at first I was thinking they were armed robber people which would have been much scarier.

I do hope that you do get to stay with Leeza. She's so precious! Continued best wishes to you!

Tricia said...

That photo of Leeza and Papa smiling at eachother is so sweet and I love the photo of you and Leeza. You can tell that she is really opening up with you all and is very happy. Glad you enjoyed the little room, it is nice and private and a good place to hide. Holy moly about the swat team. I was laughing so hard out loud when I read about you thinking about asking them to stop for photos to put on your blog. Thank God you were all safe. I am just picturing you under a table with your camera. Your apartment is in a primo location. I would stay there, too. You can walk to everything downtown. Hooray for high speed internet! It might be hard towards the end (I am feeling it now), but it will be so worth it for Leeza to stay. And Sean will be a strong big brother at home.

BabyKazfan said...

I love the pictures today! They are good every day- but these were a little different b/c you could see her hair a little more. Wow-you guys are having such an exciting time- good for you. We are leaving town on Sunday- so I may not be able to check the blog:(. I will have my cell phone though. why is it soo hard to lock the door?? are there ATM machines there?

Love, Stacey

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Okay, first of all, yikes! And, ummm, why were you under the table while Sean was still in his chair?! LOL! You have the perfect 'tude, Susan, regarding your hot water, etc. It is what it is, and you just have to go with it. The photos just keep getting better and better -- she is making such great eye contact and she must have LOVED being in her bare feet. I don't think we ever saw Max's feet -- they were always covered in 4 or 5 pairs of socks! You know we'll help state-side any way that we can if you decide to stay -- and we will keep the comments coming.

Bill & Khadine said...

Boy did this post bring back a flood of memories!

First the thing with the swat team. We actually encountered them one day when we were taking the other family home after visitation. There were men with guns and masks surrounding her apartment building and waving our car away. It was all kinda scary...and we were in the relative safety of the car! I would have fainted if I had been you in that restaurant!

The other thing that brought back lots of fond memories (other than the visitation room, of course!) was the sizzling chicken and mushrooms at Knick Knacks. I LOVED it! Except I hate mushrooms, so I always made Eugene order it for me without them. He hated having to do it, since the waitresses would get all confused and argue with him about changing the dish. Hee, hee! The stuffed chicken breast is also really good there, as are the au gratin potatoes. Ok, I have to stop thinking about that yummy food now...

I can't blame you about wanting to stay with Leeza, especially with all that's going on over here. I hope you are able to work it out so that you are able to stay.

Khadine

Angela said...

Well, Dorothy, you are not in Kansas anymore. In all my hundreds of hours reading blogs, I have not read about a SWAT team busting into a restaurant. That had to have been something! And, yes, it seems you don't have the complete adoption experience unless you lose water and/or have the brown water.

I can understand staying. You will figure stuff out.

It is so funny how the bonnet changes Leeza. She goes from looking like a little adult in the hat to a tow-headed baby without. She looks happier and happier everyday!

The Cook said...

I am totally with you...you should stay for sure. It is too scary with your agency closing. I could not leave my Sophie either so i totally understand. She is gorgeous...I love the little feet.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Man, you're having lots of adventure already! (I think you need to flush out your potty mouth with some scalding brown water. ;) I am glad that nothing happened to you!

Please...you are already skinny. Besides, I'm sure you'll be walking all around town (especially since you're so close to the market) and will burn off that tiny omlette you ate. We never went to Knick Knacks. Sounds good!

Your foot picture is the inverse of ours: Roxana was the tan one and I was the really, really white one. Leeza's got cute little feet and legs. She's just cute all around!

I hope that you'll be able to stay in Kazakhstan for the duration of the adoption. I would feel uncomfortable leaving, too, considering what's happened with Commonwealth. Plus, I know it has to be difficult to leave a child after having fallen in love with her! Though it was tough being in Kazakhstan for so long, I'm so glad we stayed.

Joyce said...

Dear Susan,Joe, Sean and Lezza,
You all sound so happy, and like you are really enjoying your time in Kaz. Keep up the good feelings regardless of the little problems like no cold water. Leeza is just beautiful, and I sure wish you all of the best, and will continue to pray for you!
Kaz Grandmama/Joyce

Alysa said...

You are having an incredible and memorable trip already! The SWAT Team?! Scary and exciting both! Sounds like Sean was taking it all in, your potty mouth included! ;)

That water is just nasty looking. Hot and brown. Ugh. I've only had the hot water go out here, not the cold. And the rust would dissipate after a few minutes of letting it run when it came back on. But you do have a great attitude!

What a fun story to follow! And a sweet one, with Little Leeza the cupie doll!

Sarah and Andy said...

She is just beautiful and I love the pictures where you can see her hair! I am sooo jealous of your high speed internet, I would have killed for that. I'm glad you are staying in the apartment, it is so weird to think about (and see that toilet which looks the same with the gross water). Keep up your good attitude and have fun going to the open air market!!!

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness what a dramatic story! Guns and masks!!!!!!!!! SCARY! Seriously, you are brave! I would have freaked!

Leeza is beyond adorable. This is such a happy time - and we are enjoying reading your posts SO much. We are so happy for all of you. And, yes, given what is going on in the US with your agency, I TOTALLY understand why you'd stay. Also, I understand why it would be hard to leave Leeza. In any case, good thinking.

YUKKI WATER! You have such a great attitude!!!!

Thinking of you all!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow, masked gunmen!! I think your Kaz experience tops that of EVERY other blog I know! Dang Susan, when you do it up, you do it up big! :-) (Not that the masked gunmen thing is all that highly rated as a 'must see' in Kaz of course.) LOL!

In all seriousness though, I'm glad you guys are safe and it was a SWAT team as opposed to horrible people who care nothing for innocent lives.

I'm loving the pictures! The one of Joe and Leeza smiling/laughing at each other is priceless!

Tracy said...

OMgoodness... I can only imagine the frieght... I do not ever say any type of ...bombs... but may have at that point!

Leeza is so beautiful. I can totally understand that you will not want to leave her there with out you.

I love how she is opening up to all of you. How she looks into your eyes. WOnderful pictres.

Sorry about the water. I guess it is all just part of the Kaz experience.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Holy cow...all in a day in Kaz! I love that you go right on to talk about the coffee shop. I have been thinking about you constantly, and didn't actually know if you were even aware of the situation. I agree, I would try to stay if you can. Leeza is really starting to show her personality in the photos! I love the one of her and Joe smiling at each other. It looks like you all are really bonding. Thanks for your support and sweet post. It has been a long week for us. Who is Ainur? Do you know? I have a phone date with Maegan VanSant tomorrow, though I am not sure if she has any advice for us. I will keep you posted. Keep enjoying your time. No worries!


Heidi

Kim & Jamie said...

I am a bit behind in catching up on my blogging - but CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is beautiful and I am so happy for you and your family:) I am so glad you are having fun in Kaz (minus the SWAT team incident of course). I can't wait to read more about your journey:)

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Oh my , what an adventure you are having! I would have been under the table too! lol! I love the cute pics today and the one of Daddy and Leeza smiling at each other is really adorable. I think it would be smart for you to stay with Leeza. I wouldn't want to leave either. Sean looks smitten with lil' sis! I will be sending you an email at princess asking you to ask Eugene for an address for us..watch for it. Thanks, Gena

Our Family of Bloggers said...

What a crazy story! I loved that you thought the show was starting :-) Classic...
Leeza is adorable as always. I'm so glad she is starting to open up more each day. It is amazing the quick progress they make.
As far as wanting to stay- I can completely understand. I couldn't and wouldn't leave despite our coordinator advising me to leave and come back. You do what you have to do, but especially with CAI collapsing, sounds like a good plan.
Take good care of yourselves!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

My goodness --she is so beautiful. That smile is so enchanting.
Wow - a Kaz swat team --- I would of defintiely been under the table. (and cussing like a sailor.)
We have dinner tomorrow with Suz/Matt to find out more about Ust.

BabyKazfan said...

hi susan ,joey and shan i am at john and karen's and just saw the pictures of your beautiful family.. what a joy.. she is beautiful and i am very happy for all of you. can't wait to meet her. donna

BabyKazfan said...

Hi Susan its Gina. Lezza is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO adorable! You are so lucky to get such a cute baby! Brookie is looking forward to seeing Lezza and we miss u and can't wait till u come home!

Gina and the Kamps

BabyKazfan said...

Hi Sean its gina hey have u seen a ranbowl latley? cuz i saw one and it reminded me of u. So, we can't wait till u guys come home and Lezza Too!!!!!!!

Gina and Johnny

Anonymous said...

I recognized the "feet" picture for sure, but Alexa's feet were a tad closer to my color feet than you and Leeza ;-)

That SWAT thing would have scared the CRAP out of me. Yes, a few F bombs may have slid out of my mouth as well.

Of course you're staying..... I figured you would
Shannon

Unknown said...

Suz!!
I'm so enjoying your wonderful adventures that I can't wait to read your blog before I go to bed...it used to be our book club, but now it's the Serendipitous Serras!! and now it's the swat team!!! Remember when life was so easy, it was just to get to the soccer field without hyperventalating???? She's so gorgeous and Joe and Sean look serene! Sending you multiple good vibes and looking forward to seeing you soon...for now the pictures are absolutely phenomenal!!! With all our love, the farnells :)

Karen Harrison said...

She is so beautiful! I'm glad to hear she and Ryan are going to be BFF's. Actually, the other day I pulled up the photos and Ryan was completely taken by them. The child who never sits still sat on my lap and goo-goo'd over all of her pictures. They are meant for each other!

Jeannine said...

Hi Susan,
Hope you recieved my email that I sent a couple of days ago. You certainly are having an adventurous time. I don't know if Joe is able to keep up with NFL news. Bret Favre is not coming to the Bucs, he is going to the Jets. That's been the talk of the town. Looking forward to reading about your adventures tomorrow and of course the pictures. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great story about the SWAT team!! I laughed picturing you under the table and Sean asking "Um...mom? Why are you under the table?" LOL! I'm glad to see that traveling to another country has not dampened Susan Serra's spirit! Keep on keeping on, my friend. We're praying for you guys. You can do this. :-)

MM said...

Chickpea! Be freaking careful out there! Sheesh... LOVE the pictures of she and Joe looking at each other & the one below it where she is looking at the camera and you are kissing her. Lucky Leeza :) Please all of you be careful, we want you back in one piece. Good luck with the water situation, hopefully it is already fixed. How fun for Sean to get to see the market, try the new foods, etc! Love to all of you!

Karen said...

You're experiencing everything aren't you? Sounds like you're taking it all in stride (including the SWAT team episode). So many adventures—what great stories they make.

Leeza is blossoming right before our very eyes. It's such a joy to witness. Please keep the pictures coming!

karen

Chris & Christy said...

Holy Moly - The Kaz SWAT Team? Yikes!!!! F Bombs are totally appropriate at a time like that! :) What a crazy experience!

I totally understand your yearning to stay with Leeza, it is such a tough decision. If staying is at all feasible, it sure is a blessing to be able to do. Either way, you both will be okay, but for all of the reasons you mentioned, including the agency concern, I would lean the same way!

It is fun to read that Leeza is connecting to her daddy! These babies just aren't around men all that often, so having that male 'snuggle bug' time is so amazing! And to have a BIG BROTHER is a dream!

I love reading about your journey! You too are so positive and you seem to just be making the most of every experience! That is because you too have a light in your heart!

Christy :)

Patito said...

Hey SusieQ - love the latest pictures! Your posts are so amuzing and so was Sean's! Hope you're taking pictures of all these places at which you are eating and shopping so you can show me when you get home. Miss you!

Patti