Saturday, August 2, 2008

Luncheon with Leeza



We had a wonderful day today with lil Miss Leeza!!! After a good night’s sleep, and A DELICIOUS breakfast (Kazakh style) at our hotel (free included with the hotel…and better than Comfort Inn!!!) Tatiana picked us up to go visit Leeza. We were all very excited to see her again. Our “blind date” was so brief, with everyone staring at us and a scratchy dress to boot, I was ready to get down and play and check our Leeza’s “mad skillz”.

The kids were outside in their lil “hut”. They hang out and sleep out there and play in the summer. It was naptime so I felt bad that we had to wake her up, but she woke up pretty happy and her caregiver changed her, washed her face, and handed her over. We camped out under a tree in the shade. I could not ask for more perfect weather. It’s gorgeous out-it feels like a fall Florida day with zero humidity. The mornings are chilly (sweater needed) but afternoon is gorgeous. Leeza was in a few layers, and after about 15 minutes, her caregiver came out and gave us another layer to put on. It was kinda hard getting it on, and then in process of getting her other arm in, we saw Rustam and Tricia nearby in the stroller. I was talking to Tricia asking her to come over, and poor Leeza’s arm was stuck in her shirt like a sling. Joe made me stop talking and focus on Leeza’s stuck arm. She is a trooper though and she barely fussed.

When we first sat her down, she didn’t cry, but she started rocking back and forth. Oh my goodness, it broke my heart. Sean thought she was “rockin out”, but I explained that that’s what babies do, often in orphanages, when they are scared and need to soothe themselves. I quickly scooped her up, and we found some toys she liked. She loves toys that make that crinkly noise. Then, Joe stepped in. Joe has always had a way with babies, and it was hearwarming to watch Leeza who was not immune to that “Joe Serra charm”. He got her laughing and giggling. When she laughs, she crinkles up her perfect lil nose, it’s SO CUTE!!

Shortly, the caregiver came out with her lunch! I remember Tricia always telling us weekends are much more relaxed at the baby house. The caregiver brought the food over, and let us feed her!! We didn’t even have to wear the notorious white doo rag on our heads. I could not believe the size of the lunch. I know, everyone talks about it, but it’s something else to see if with your VERY OWN REAL EYES IN REAL KAZ TIME! Sean was like “WHOA, she is gonna eat that?? That is not baby food!” I had her on my lap trying to feed her with this big spoon and it was so hard because I couldn’t really see her mouth. It was rather comical. Charmer Daddy Joe stepped in and I had her on my lap and she gobbled it up. She drank this tea looking stuff out of a teacup. I remember people talking about the kids are always thirsty. I can see why-they don’t get very much when they are trying to drink that way. She did great and ate over half of her lunch. I was afraid we might get in trouble, but they didn’t say anything.

Our time went by MUCH TOO QUICKLY. Man, I can already tell I am going to be greedy. Sean was so cute, he said “wow, Mom, she really likes us!! She is attached to us already!!!” He thought she looked very sad to see us go. It was incredible to witness the change in this lil blue eyed pixie though. She really relaxed and opened up with us and just had fun playing! She can definitely sit up, but I don’t think she can crawl yet. We are still checkin out her “mad skillz” but I’m not gonna fret. I think what lil Leeza needs is lots of time and love from her family. I think we’re UP for the challenge. Leeza also loves “bling”. She loved my “bling bracelet and the beads on my shirt. I think Leeza and her momma are gonna have some big time fun shopppin!!! She has such gorgeous piercing blue eyes. Up against Joe’s blue shirt, they just ‘pop”. I don’t think I have anything blue for her, so we will have to find “just the right shade”!!!

After our visit, we went with Tatiana where the Wiley’s (the other couple from our agency that is her now) was being interviewed for the paper for the playground they installed at the baby house. It was really interesting hearing them talk about it. They are very nice people and I enjoyed getting to know them. Their have a 4 year old they adopted from the Delphin baby house, and a biological son who is 3. We all went to lunch. I had the same pizza I had yesterday. I need to get more adventurous but the pizza is good and so far I’ve had zero stomach issues.
We move into an apartment tomorrow. In fact, it’s the same apartment that Sarah and Andy stayed in when they adopted Zach and Addie. We are only staying there thru the 9th, because then another aparment that is half the price of that one is coming available. I believe we can get high speed internet at the 2nd apartment, but just dial up at the first. We are on dial up at the hotel, so I have to do my blog in word, and limit my skype time. I am sure that I spent a fortune last night but Joe fell asleep and I am a “webneck” as Joe calls me.

The day goes by really fast. Before I knew it, it was 4:00. I got tired this afternoon, but tried to take a powernap but sleep did not come. We are meeting Eugene for dinner tonight at 7:30.

All in all, I have to say our experience in Kostanai is a wonderful one. Sweet baby girl, perfect weather, and I feel very well taken care of by Tatiana and Eugene. Sean has been a real trooper.

Kaz connection on Joe’s blackberry has been spotty at best. I will also not be checking emails much until we can get high speed internet. I haven’t even read my blog comments!

Thank you so much for everyone’s prayers. I feel very very blessed thus far, and I realize we have a long road ahead of us, but I am up for the challenge. This isn’t a sprint, but a slow marathon, one that will yield a much bigger prize then qualifying for Boston!!

ps. I have 176 pictures. I realize I would not post ALL of them, but it keeps crapping out on me. I will do my best and keep trying to post more.
There are some great ones!! The difference in her lil personality after spending time with us was really incredible. I see the differnce in blogs, but again, to see if "real life, Kazakh style" is truly a miracle.
I keep praying and thanking God for this lil miracle bestowed upon us. My heart is full and we are LOVIN LIL LEEZA! She is a lil doll!!!

48 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

It is so good to be able to feel how happy and how good things seem to be going for you. After all of this time and the wait it sounds like things truly are falling into place. Leeza sounds like a perfect fit, she certainly is meant to be in your family. I loved the 'she likes bling' line :) You are right, it is a marathon and not a sprint. But you all have the endurance for it and whatever comes up along the way.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Serra Family!! Little Leeza sounds fantastic, and we are SO happy for you. It makes all of the "other stuff" seem so irrelevant at this point, doesn't it? Susan, I love that you are planning your shopping trips!:) Wonderful, wonderful news. Enjoy your time together. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

So wonderful to hear of your explorations into each others' worlds

w!,kjjvvvvvvvvvvvvvfrve 3333333333333333333333332 bdddd3wvv c ````````````gdggsgsaM A

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandi said...

So happy to read your update. I can't wait until you can post some pictures. Sounds like your having the time of your life and that is great. Leeza is going to love shopping with mom.

You know how to run a marathon so take your time and enjoy your new life.

Sandi

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Sorry, Tougy hijacked the computer to send a secret coded message to Leeza apparently.

I now see two photos up as well - Susan she is simply Beautiful. We are so happy for you all.

Isn't it amazing how a trip to the baby house can not only fill much of the day, but can leave you wiped out as well. All the best to you four. Take Care.

Steve

BabyKazfan said...

Finally a picture! I have been checking the blog every hour! She is just precious! Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time. So happy for you! Give her a kiss from Aunt Stacey!

dnd82001 said...

I have been checking for this update since 5:30 and so worth the wait!!

She is a beauty and it sounds like you guys are perfect for each other!!
I am so excited for you and I am happy to hear that so far so good with everything happening nice & easy and you have met up with blog friends - you guys have everything going so well and it couldn't happen to a better family.

Get some rest and keep us updated!

Susan I am truly very very happy for you.

Darlene

Joby and Marla said...

She is beautiful!!!

It sounds like she is a perfect match for the Serra Family.

Congratulations!!!!!

Marla

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Hooray! She is a doll baby, and those eyes are just amazing. You look sooooo happy, Susan and we are so happy for you. We are so excited to settle in and read about your adventure over the next few weeks. Who needs the Olympics when you are blogging every day?! LOL I must admit I will be a tad bit jealous if you end up with high-speed Internet! HA! But, that means more photos and maybe even e-mail, so it's all good. We are thrilled that you are all there as a family. Settle in and enjoy the journey. You will love it.!

Angela said...

Thanks for posting the photos. She is just lovely! It sounds like everything is going so very well. Again, I am so happy for you! I love your narrative. May you fly through the process and be home with you new baby girl before you know it!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

She's beautiful! I am so glad your visit went well. Yes, feeding a baby huge portions of adult food from a giant spoon is difficult, but you'll get the hang of it. Even more difficult, as you ave discovered, is leaving after such a short visit. This doesn't really get easier, I hate to say; the good news is that every time you have to leave Leeza, you're one day closer to bringing her home!

Monica said...

PRECIOUS baby!!! I am SO happy for you and thankful that you have taken the time to share her with us.
Continued best wishes to you!
Monica

Jennifer said...

What a beauty!! The little button nose and big blue eyes. Just beautiful!

I'm so happy you're doing well and settling in. It's so great to have othe people to hang with in your off time.

You are absolutely right- this whole process is a miracle!

Alysa said...

Leeza is beautiful! What a doll. You sound so incredibly happy! I'm thrilled for all of you.

It is surprising how full your days will be just visiting your darling girl. Enjoy your time and your pizza!

Gretchen said...

I am tearing up. She is beautiful! What a sweetie pie! Austin was rocking no stop when we first got him. If he was sitting it was front to back, if he was laying down it was side to side. If you held his body he would rock just his head. He does not rock anymore! Just keep giving that wonderful mommy love. Sean is too cute. I'm so overjoyed for you. Have a great time, you will miss it once you are home!

Sandi said...

Susan
Thanks for posting her pictures. She is absolutely gorgeous. Those eyes have such a sparkle to them, you can see such a sweet soul.

That smile on your face is worth a million dollars.

Hugs to all of you,
Sandi

Jeannine said...

Leeza is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how you know she is your child. God is in the details. Looking forward to hearing more as her personality emerges.

traceylynndel said...

She is Beautiful!

demarest6 said...

There are no coinsciences! God knew all along that he was going to give you this perfect little angel. The whole Demarest clan is in love and can't wait to learn more about her. Susan, Joe, and Sean you are truly blessed. Little Leeze you are so loved! Susan you are glowing.xoxo

Karen said...

Again I'm mirroring everyone's words when I say Leeza is a beautiful, sweet baby. She looks so healthy and you're just beaming. Can it be any more perfect? I am SO happy for you and Joe--and especially for Sean. He sounds like he's fallen in love with her. Definitely, defintely worth the long wait. Yaay!!!!

Karen

Tricia said...

Glad you had a great visit with your baby girl today. It is amazing how that much food fits in their little bellies. Seeing you four together brought happy tears to my eyes. :) Tricia

Patrick & Eileen said...

My goodness she looks so sweet!! Of course we're all hungry for more photos.

It does sound like you're all having a good time there so far. I'm glad it worked out that Sean was able to come with you. It's an important time in all your lives!

Can't wait for the next update!
Eileen

Anonymous said...

Susan she is just adorable! Sounds like you have a good future shopping buddy ;-)

Enjoy getting to know her!
Shannon

Tina said...

She's gorgeous - the two of you together brought tears to my eyes. She's your dream come true - and SO MUCH BETTER than running Boston could ever be.

I can't stop scrolling back up to her picture!! POST MORE!!

Brody's gonna be a happy boy! :-)

Sarah and Andy said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you. So cool that you are in our old apartment. Great location!!! Email me if you want me to tell you where to run from there.
Be careful w/ washing machine in that apartment; it turns your clothes grey :). Other than that it's so nice.
Enjoy Leeza and all your time there! Glad to hear the weather is good so far.

Matthew Ruley said...

OMG she is soooooo sooooo cute! Even Figaro is dancing on my desk! Congratulations! We are so thrilled and cant wait to meet little Leeza. What a cute name to match the cute face!

The Cook said...

She is gorgeous. Congrats again.

Amy said...

What a dollface!!!!! Congratulations to you all. Very good news to read!!!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Wow a match made in heaven, for sure! She is the perfect addition to the Sierra clan. Her eyes are beautiful and her lips are adorable! You are most radiant yourself..hmm wonder uwhy? These pictures are wonderful and thanks for posting so soon. You are a Super Blogger! Gena,Jaimie and Berik

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Leeza is BEAUTIFUL! Truly a gorgeous little girl. She sounds like the perfect addition to the Serra family. I am so relieved that she loves bling. What on earth would you do with a little girl who didn't love bling, Susan?
PS- Only for YOU would I be blog stalking while on vacation!
Take good care of yourselves. I'm glad that you feel comfortable and settled and are getting taken care of well in Kaz.
XOXO

Kim said...

Look at those cheeks! How adorable Leeza is! Congratulations again.

Julian and Sara said...

What a doll!! She is beautiful. Period. I can tell that your blog is going to be SO much fun to read while you are in Kaz. :) Looking forward to more....

Sara

BabyKazfan said...

Congrats! Leeza is perfect and so beautiful! Can't wait for our walks in the park with her. I will write more tomorrow--you know me I am in tears from the pictures and reading your blog. Have fun with your new family member and tell Joe and Sean Congrats too. Told you it would all work out PERFECT.
Lisa

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I have goose bumps reading your blog. She is so beautiful and I can tell how much you are already in love with her. Sean does sound cute with her. Can't wait to hear more.

Bill & Khadine said...

She is ansolutely beautiful! Congratulations to the happy new family!

Khadine

Bill & Khadine said...

Oops..I meant ABSOLUTELY, of course! Sorry about that!

Khadine

BabyKazfan said...

Hi Susan Its Gina Kamp. Lezza is soooooooo cute!! You are so lucky to have such a beautiful little baby girl. See you soon!

kristen said...

wow!! how wonderful! i am so excited for you and leeza! she is GORGEOUS! i can't wait to keep reading about your adventures in kaz and with leeza. yeah!!

Trudi said...

Leeza is sensational! There is something about that little face that grabs one's heart immediately. Congratulations! I look forward to following you as the four of you bond and Sean becomes the ultimate big bro.

Regina said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!! She is just precious and my heart is overflowing with joy and excitement for all of you!

I'm so glad you're enjoying your time in Kaz. It IS totally surreal at first, huh?!?!

Gotta go chase down Milo.

Unknown said...

Leeza is such a beautiful baby! I love those blue eyes and big, puffy cheeks. You sound so happy and relaxed (or is it happy and tired?). :-)

marsrob said...

Oh SUSAN! Aila, Marshall & I are all sitting here looking at your photos of you and of Leeza! ADORABLE GIRL!!! What a doll!!! You arrived, you met your baby-to-be, and you are happy and safe and sound! JOY of JOYS! We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you all!

XOxOOOXOXOX

Tracy said...

SHe is lovely. Congratulations to all of you. I enjoy the pictures.

Keep it all coming!

Tracy

Chris & Christy said...

She is just beautiful Susan! Leeza's eyes ARE indeed piercing and her little button nose is precious! I am so happy to hear that your trip has been blessed!

Christy

Anonymous said...

She is just beautiful Susan, what a wonderful addition to your family and you made my day dear with those sweet feet pictures.....but now everyone will know I'm a little disturbed.....not really though, I don't like all feet just pretty baby feet....and Leeza's is perfect!

Melinda Techler said...

I finally found the area where you can post a comment, CONGRATULATIONS! She's so adorable and you all looks so happy. Sending happiness and well wishes to you all. We miss you.

The 4ms

Jstar said...

It's amazing reading this post years later. Leeza was an amazing girl with an amazing family then and now :)