Friday, August 8, 2008

8/08/08..One Week of Bonding Complete, and the Olympics!!



Leeza waving "Paka Paka" to us as we ended one week of bonding with her. Eva is on the left, then Leeza, then Aigul. These women are amazing. Aigul is really sweet, and she's the one who said I was "fashion forward".


See what I mean about Daddy's girl?


Sean and Rustam having fun playing!! I am so proud of Sean. He is really great with kids. It's so incredible to see him play with all the children. He asked if he can adopt when he's older, like in high school. I told him, in high school, he is not old enough or mature enough to take care of a child. He said, well,when i'm in college then, will you help me adopt?? i want to come back here!!!


Lots of love for baby sister Leeza!!!
A beautiful sight to see walking around the baby house. Tricia and Rustam have been here, what, almost 70 days? Their bond is a strong one. I loved seeing them together. I may have wiped a tear from my eye!!8/08/08 One week of Bonding and the Olympics!

So sorry for the late post today! It’s almost 10 pm Kostanai time and we JUST GOT HOME, after being picked up at 10:45 this morning! After spending 11-1 with the lovely Leeza, we went over to the Wiley’s for an Olympic celebration since the opening ceremonies started today. We were told they started at 2. Then, we got a call (after we had all arrived there ) that said, “Oooh, they start at 6” but all 3 families were already there. So, we had a long afternoon and evening but it was a lot of fun! The boys all had fun playing with each other. Joe and I were proud of Sean, he was really good with the younger boys. We walked to the market and got cake and ice cream, and beer, and we ordered pizza to go from Dolce Vita and Tatiana was our delivery girl! It was a fun! Sean sat there and wrote down EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY in the Olympics!
It took him 2 huge sheets of paper. Honestly, I had no idea that there were that many countries represented, some of which I hadn’t heard of.
The other 2 families here are bonding with their children at the baby home in Rudney. It’s so awesome to see how each child ended up with the perfect family for them. I am always in awe of how this works. Everyone is very happy!!! I really like the families we are here with. They are really neat people!!!
Yesterday was hot, but it rained last night and got down right chilly! Today was just gorgeous, if even chilly in the shade!! When we got to Leeza’s hut, all the kids were still sleeping. There was a cool breeze, and the kids looked so SNUGGLY all in their beds. I felt bad waking lil Leeza up. She always wakes up so happy though! We each took turns walking around the baby house with her. Joe holds her, Sean pushes her in the stroller (fast!!!) and Mommy holds her in the ergo. She loves being outside and just loves looking around. Today, I snapped a picture of a lovely "mother and son moment", Tricia and Rustam snuggling under a tree. It was such a precious sight. You can see it in the pictures, but, it's even better "Live from Kaz!" Tricia is just glowing and Rustam is just such a content baby. It's awesome!!!
It was my turn to feed Leeza lunch today, and I am proud to say I am getting better and less messy. They didn’t give me extra “covers” for her, and she did not end up with food all over her! Practice makes perfect, I guess. Well, not perfect, but at least an improvement! After lunch, I set Leeza on the potty. Yesterday, we didn’t and she seemed so uncomfortable. The kids are so cute on their potties. She was sitting there and I was making her laugh, and she lost her balance and fell back and hit her lil head. I felt so bad!! However, she cried for one second, and then she was fine!! After she “did her business”, we bundled her back up and went into the visitation room. We shared with Rustam and Tricia today—it was a lot of fun. Rustam seemed excited to see new people (he has the BEST temperament—what a sweetheart!!) Rustam liked playing with some new toys, and grabbed a few from Leeza. Sean, being the protective big brother, got it back for her. Rustam and Sean were cute playing together too. We all had a good time. When it was 1:00 and time to clean up, Leeza started bawling! I am talking big tears. I wasn’t sure what was wrong, except maybe she knew it was time to say “Paka Paka” for the day and she wasn’t ready to go yet. (That’s what I tell myself at least!!)
Leeza is going to be a DADDY’S GIRL! She just lights up when Joe plays with her. He gets the best giggles out of her. I love seeing Joe with kids—he just has such a way with them!! I can already tell she is gonna have him wrapped around her lil finger!
I only got a few pictures today. She was moving all over the place. Notice her lovely mismatched outfit. Her and Rustam had matching shirts on!!

Our cold water is back on, so we got to take showers today! All is going well, and the Serra’s continue to be happy in Kostanai. We hear we should have DSL sometime next week. Yippee!!!!

15 comments:

Tracy said...

It does look like she will be a daddy's girl. I love seeing daddy's with their babys.

So sweet.

I am sure she has those mommy moments too...I know mine "need" mommy still.

Tracy

John & Jenny Morgan said...

She looks so happy with her daddy! I bet those tears at the end of your visit were because you had to go. So sad.

I can't believe it's been a week since you met her already! Times flies when you're halway across the world following someone else's blog. :) I hope the coming weeks go by quickly for you!

Trudi said...

I sound like a broken record but I am charmed and thrilled at how beautiful Leeza connects with her family - and you with her. And Sean and Leeza - the best sibling duo ever. Your blog is THRILLING!

Tricia said...

I thought I saw you wipe a tear away. Didn't I tell you to pack lots of tissues!? :) The waterworks will continue during your journey with Leeza. We had fun sharing the visitation room with you all today. Rustam seemed to really enjoy playing with Sean. Sean will be such a great big brother to Leeza. I can't wait to see how you dress her up. She is so beautiful and will be even more so when you have her stylin out of the baby house clothes. Her smile is so precious and it gets bigger every day now that she is with you, Joe, and Sean.

Angela said...

Congratulations on finishing week 1! Sounds like you had a busy yet fun day!

Great photos - Leeza looks more and more relaxed everyday. It looks like she does love her Daddy - I am sure Mom & Sean get a lot of smiles too.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Through a week already! Wow, that is amazing, and we are just so happy for you. If we had DSL, I could have stayed for months without any worries. Now we're cheering for DSL for you! :-)

Jennifer said...

She looks like such a happy baby!

Congratulations on 1 week down. It's hard to believe as time seems to be going to fast.

That is awesome about Sean wanting to adopt when he gets older. I never thought about seeing the process through the eyes of older children. Know what? That says a lot about your parenting skills that he is loving it and wants to come back (as opposed to whining sullenly about wanting to go back home like some pre-teens I know!). Kudos to all three of you (almost 4!) on being such an awesome family! What a blessing you are to other people!

Karen said...

Your little girl has the prettiest blue eyes--I think she already has Joe wrapped around her little finger.

Congratulations on your first week of bonding. And for the record, your Sean is the best. So happy he's there to share in all the love.

Tricia said...

I'm jealous. All those people having fun in Kostanai, I want to come back. This time I'm bringing a bus to take as many of the little ones as possible.

Great to see Leeza laughing & smiling with you. She is a very lucky girl, lots of loving in store for her.

Great pictures of Sean with Rustam & Leeza, he's got a gift of caring for the little ones. Very nice to see that.

Enjoy Kostanai & the Delphin house!! Give Leeza a kiss on the forehead for me.

Chris

demarest6 said...

Love covers everything. It is amazing to look back at all the pictures. Leeza is beautiful from the first day, however you can see that she is happier each day. It is visible in her smile and in her eyes, and her body language, she looks so relaxed with you. I am so excited to watch what the future holds for all of you. Each day is a present and the way you unwrap it is fun to watch! Thanks for continuing to keep us all in the loop! Miss you like crazy, but I'm elated that you are enjoying Kaz and all of its little treasures!xoxo

Kristen (and Cary) said...

She is so beautiful. I love reading about her and seeing her smiling face. I've been thinking of you.

Maryann said...

Hey guys....Looks as if all is going according to plan...HIS PLAN!

YUP!! DEF a Daddy's girl in the making!! We have/had a Daddy's girl & for 21 years.. it brought such a joy to my heart to witness her with "HER" Daddy. Like he didn't belong to anyone else, the 3 brothers were def OUT of THAT picture!!! AND, she was, like Leeza, the baby to boot!! Now that her Daddy is an angel, it warms my heart so to once again witness that special bond. Ahhhhhh!!!!!
All the while, she & I had our OWN special connection which only grows stronger to this day!! And so shall it be with you also, my love......
And, "the brother", what can I say?? AMAZING MEN, they become, the older brothers of a little sister!! They are, early on, the great protector, a role that only intensifies with time!! I can attest to that personally!!

Tricia's Dad was MY big brother!!

And now I witness the role each of our daughter's, Joy's, brothers play (played, she's 27) in HER life, each as unique and varied as the individual himself!! AHHHHHHH!!

NOW.... thanks for the "intimate" photo of Trish & Rustam!! Had to wipe a tear myself!! BLESS YOU!!

I'm just so pleased you got to share that time with them in the visitation room! How wonderful for Rustam & Leeza to get to experience "alone" time away from the chaos of a full room of babies, and just have a little "one on one" PLAYDATE!!

We too spent the evening watching the opening ceremonies, which I might add was quite impressive.

CHILDREN AND THEIR WORLD!!!!

Doesn't get any better than THAT!!

We all 3 were anxiously awaiting Kazahkstan to see their "style", but unfortunately they came through on a commercial break. The tv did a catch up on who we missed in the interim, and we saw them briefly.... Herbie was SO disappointed that the cheer he was anticipating to give was shortened!!
Impressive head-dress the flag bearer had on though!!

Interesting how here we all were waiting for Kazahkstan......a country we had NO idea even existed short while ago!! hmmmmmmmmm?????

DELAY IS NOT DENIAL!!....Aunt Mam

ps. Pleae ask, for me, our tender-hearted Sean to STOP anticipating the future...it gets in the way of the NOW!! Why? Because the "best is yet to come" ANYWAY!!!! ;=)

Chris & Christy said...

What an amazing experience this has been for Sean! I am so proud of him too! To ask if he can come back to be a caregiver and / or to adopt when he is older is absolutely amazing to say it lightly! I can only imagine that this journey to adopt Baby Leeza has impacted his life more than we will know! You have so much to be proud and thankful for Susan, but you know that! ;)

I am really loving catching up on your journey! :) It seems that you are really 'experiencing' Kazakhstan and just soaking up the entire journey! :)

xoxo from MN,
Christy

Melinda Techler said...

Nice updating of your blog...Leeza center stage. You all look so happy and settled in with your naps and relaxed play periods. Hope Leeza feels better soon. Your depictions of Kaz and your experiences are priceless. My mother-in-law would love to join the blog. Can she get on? I tell her bits and pieces, but it's nothing like the Susonian accounts!

BabyKazfan said...

Hey Susan its Gina. I have a question... How do they give the babies a bath?