Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pre court jitters and COURT DATE SET!!
























Hello!!! It's a gorgeous Tuesday in Kostanai and the Serra's are happy indeed. Pre-court went very well (although I was nervous) and our court date is set!! It's 3 weeks from today!!!

Sept 17th, at 9:30 am!!

We got all dressed up and went to visit sweet Leeza Grace. She was happy to see us, and we were sure happy to see her! She did a good job with lunch and didn't spill any on Mom's pre-court "duds". She was very vocal today. As each day goes by, we see more and more changes in our lil Leeza. Sean says, "she was very chatty" today.
However, she was a bit miffed that our visitation was cut an hour short. We had to take her back at 1:30 (instead of 2:30) as we had a court date at 2. Daddy had to say by cuz he won't be back for three weeks. At least she won't go into total sadness since Sean is staying, but I know she will wonder where her fun Daddy is!!
We are still working on Joe's return to Kostanai, but Eldo (at Golden Rule Travel) isn't at work yet, but we are thinking Joe can catch the Friday direct flight to Kostanai from Frankfurt and arrive back here on Saturday, September 13th. He and Sean will plan on leaving the 18th.

I was a little nervous today about pre-court. It took me awhile to fall asleep, and I didn't have much of an appetite for breakfast this morning. I knew it would be ok, because I feel incredibly guided by faith in this journey, so while in my heart of hearts I KNEW it would be fine, I was still a bit anxious.
We met the judge in her office, with just ourselves, Dr. Irina, and Tatiana. She was VERY nice!!! The questions were not difficult, and it's so very obvious that they have the BEST interest of the children at heart. She asked why we chose to adopt from Kakakhstan, why we chose to adopt, and what our plans were for taking care of Leeza. She asked about our families reaction to our adoption plans, and asked Sean a few questions, too. She asked him if he helped us choose Leeza as the child for us, and what his reaction was to having a lil sister. He answered the questions really well,and Dr. Irina said "Malla Dietz" (which means good boy). Dr. Irina spoke and said that she really liked our family, that we are very nice and Sean is very well behaved (Ha ha, he has her fooled). Dr.Irina liked Sean right away, from the very first day that she met him, she said he was a strong boy with strong eyes and that he would very successful. Dr. Irina said that Leeza responds very well to us and is always very excited and jumps up and down in her playplen when we walk in the room.

The judge explained about Leeza's birth parents, and showed us a picture of her birth mother, and will give us a copy. I don't feel right divulging that information, as it is Leeza's private information, but I will say that my eyes filled with tears. I am so sorry for what Leeza has lost, and for the rough start she had from conception to birth, but I can guarantee that this lil girl will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loved and so cherished by our family and our friends that I hope we can take her hurt away. I know that kids are incredible resilient, but it just breaks my heart to think about it. I am so glad that Leeza's mom did the right thing to give her a chance at a happy and fulfilling life.
The judge said that by looking at our dossier pictures, we looked like a fun family full of life, and that there were a lot of children in our family. We said yes, there are, and she will be VERY loved. She asked if I was aware of the issues that we could have, and I said, yes, we will get Leeza any kind of help she needs, just like we would with our biological child, and we have many resources available to us.
She asked us if we were staying until court, and we told her that Sean and I were staying, but Joe was leaving. She asked if Sean was missing school. We told her that his teachers and his school were very supportive of Sean's journey to Kazakhstan, and that he is going to get his work that he is missing, and he is going to do his research paper on Kakakhstan. The judge looked at me and asked I was staying the whole time and I answered yes, and she said "you cannot bear to leave Leeza even for one day?" EXACTLY!
I really did feel that she saw how much we love lil Leeza Grace.
She thanked us for choosing Kazakhstan and adopting from Kazakhstan. It was very heartfelt and sincere. I feel so unbeliavably honored and blessed to be adopting a child from this wonderful country. I really love it here. Kostanai is a great city. Everyone is friendly, and Tatiana and Eugene have taken such excellent care of us.
Despite all the problems with the agency we chose, I would NOT CHANGE ONE SINGLE THING!! All the tears, worry, sleepless nights, and crying jags the last 15 months were just part of the process. I can't really discount any of it because of the incredible miracle that led us here, now. I am soooooooooo happy and grateful and overjoyed, I really cannot even put it into words.

So, a lil over 3 weeks down, 3 weeks to go until court, then another 3 weeks or so before we leave for Almaty. I know it will go by quickly!!
I will miss Joe for sure, but it will give Sean and I chance to rely on each other.
My heart is full.

28 comments:

BabyKazfan said...

So unbelievably amazing, kinda like a really neat book that you just can't put down...as days unfold and dates approach...it's just amazing how things really do work out for the best!! I think Leeza is gonna LOVE pumpkin muffins!!! (especially with whipped cream) Well is there any other way to eat those signature muffins of yours?? Good Luck! Johnny, Gina and Brooke all say hi!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Congrats on your sucessful Pre-Court day! Today's pics look especially happy and radiant to say the least! Leeza is beaming as if she knows everything is just clicking along as it should. She is beautiful :) I bet all of Sean's friends are talking about how lucky he is to be on a big trip and to miss school. He will be the big hit when he gets back! Ttyl. Gena

The Cook said...

yeah pre-court is done. I love the pictures and am so glad the jusdge seemed to understand our heart. I love reading your blog everymorning before work. Warms my heart.

Sandi said...

What a great post and I woke up with the biggest smile on my face knowing that all would go well. 3 weeks will fly by and Joe will be back and you'll be 2/3 of the way through the process.

The Serras had a wonderful day to day and Ms. Leeza is just beaming in her pictures, just fabulous.

Hopefully you ate a nice big meal after court?

Talk to you soon..

Sandi

Karen said...

So happy for you—pre-court made me very anxious. Good luck in court and just think soon you'll be a family of 4!!!! Woo-hoo.

KazAdventurers said...

What a heartwarming post! I am so glad your pre-court experience went so well and that you are enjoying your time in Kostanai so much with Leeza and the rest of your family!

Lisa

BabyKazfan said...

Wonderful! The judge sounds lovely.

So happy for you.

Love,

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it went very well!! It's wonderful that the judge talked to Sean and that they have concern for him.

Having a picture of Leeza's birth-mom is a priceless memento. My mother was adopted when she was 9 months old. She has a picture of her birth-mother holding her and embracing her in a hug. The photograph had to have been taken within days of my mother's adoption. As I recall the photo was given to my mother when she was an adult (she's 69 now). I do know she cherishes it deeply.

MM said...

Hey Chickpea! Congrats on pre-court. I knew you guys would pass with flying colors! I'm surprised they aren't trying to load you up with more kids from Kaz because you are such an awesome family. I am glad to know you & Sean have DSL and are safe behind a steel door while Joe travels back to the US. I can understand why you wouldn't want to leave Leeza. That is great Sean is able to stay with you and get school credit. It is an experience of a lifetime to live in another country like that. Tell Sean we are very proud of how well he did in pre-court.He is a smart and sweet guy! And good job to you and Joe making all of this happen! Leeza is a fortunate ilttle girl to join the Serra clan. Keep up your great attitude and Sept 17th will be here in no time. Miss you and love you!

Kim said...

So glad pre-court is over and things went well. I love love the pictures you post each day. You can see the love in your eyes and the happiness in your smile. I am so happy you are having a great experience in Kaz. Praying for your court date!

Kim

PS - DSL - seriously!

Aaron and Julie said...

Pre-court sounds like it went well and we are so glad you have a court date! I shed a few tears on this post - from the mention of Leeza's birthmom to the conversation you had with the judge to Dr. Irina's comments about Sean. We wish Joe safe travels home. Take care Kostonai clan - the joy in your voices continues to be heard and we wish you continued good times!! Enjoy every minute!!!

BabyKazfan said...

Hi Susan,
Just wanted to let you know that Nicole has shared your blog with me and I have been praying for you and your family! This is so amazing and your blog is WONDERFUL, makes me cry. Leeza is adorable and beautiful. Best of luck!
Love,
Joy

Maryann said...

Your INCREDIBLE faith has brought you the fortitude you've required thus far.....what a WITNESS you are giving us ALL!!

I feel SO blessed to continue MY journey through Kaz and adoption NOW with the Serras....even though the Hoffas are home safe and sound now!

ALAS!! THE DREAM CONTINUES!!! Aunt Mam

Matthew Ruley said...

Congrats!

Wow I won't forget that date cause its my Bday!

Do you have appeal and wait for passports after court? This is a very long trip for you. But one you will never forget.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

:-) Isn't it amazing how so quickly, all of the tears and frustration become totally worth it. That you wouldn't change ANYTHING! It all had to happened just as it did so that you could find Leeza. Remember my cheesy post from when we were in Kaz about fate. See.... it is so true :-) I'm glad you found Leeza and Leeza found you.
XOXO
Did Joe tell Baheet that we say hi? Hope so!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm glad that pre-court went well and that you learned a little bit of Leeza's background. It's great that you received a picture of Leeza's mother!!

I know it was hard for Joe to say bye to Leeza today, as it will be for him to say bye to you and Sean. I hope that his trip home and back are safe! I'm glad also that you have the high-speed internet working now so that Joe can see lots of pictures of his beautiful family while he's gone.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

What the heck, I am sitting here trying to work and you are making me cry! :-) What a beautiful post, and congrats on an amazing and positive pre-court experience. You are going to be so happy that you blogged about it as you can look back on it and remember all of the precious details that are leading to your final adoption decree. Your dates are really starting to fall into place, and on this end, it seems like time is flying. We hope the same is true for you, although we know you are loving it there, so enjoy that nice long "vacation" while you can! LOL. Godspeed to Joe. He's going to miss you all so much (and vice versa, but you get to see Leeza every day!), but he'll be back before you know it. So, upward and onward for the next three-week stint. Big hugs from all of us!

marsrob said...

WOOHOOOOOO!!! Court date is set and you are on your way! What a joyous day! You are, Susan, ABSOLUTELY amazing. Seriously, I have never ever ever met someone (and I haven't exactly met you, but you know what I mean) as positive and upbeat as you! HIP HIP HOORAY!

BabyKazfan said...

I can't wait to hug that sweet little girl! So glad all went so well today at pre-court. Time will fly!!! Love the Fady's

Monica said...

Such GREAT news! Sooooo happy for all of you! Continued best wishes!!!
:)
Monica

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, I "go away" for two days (Gigi has strep- ugh!) and I come back to find lil Leeza grew up! She looks so much older than just a few days ago. And her hair is longer!

Congratulations on getting through pre-court AND getting an earlier court date than you were expecting!

The rest of your post put me in tears. :-) I am so incredibly happy for you. My heart just over flows.

The picture is a gift! Wow, what a gift.

Kristen (and Cary) said...

Yeah. You are through a huge milestone. I'm so glad it went well - although I had no doubt it is always nice to get though it.

demarest6 said...

That picture of her birth mother is like gold. You are her mother, however, some day she will want to know-and you being the insightful person you are-will have answers and OF COURSE pictures! I'm so glad you and Sean are able to stay-especially with her birthday coming up-I gotta say, I've never had the pumpkin muffins mentioned today...I thought you said you don't cook--the truth is coming out.LOL The pictures today are so beautiful. All of you look so happy. Enjoy everything my friend!!!xoxo

Anonymous said...

Aw Susan, that was a beautiful post. What an honor to have seen Leeza's birth mom, because now you will have a little more information for her. I'm sure it was tough but you all sound like you are doing so well!

I'm glad you are enjoying your stay and are making the best of it. I'm thinking of you and counting down the days until you come home! Just wish I could meet her in person sooner....

Love, Shannon

Tricia said...

That is all terrific news! I have to tell you that I see a huge difference in Leeza's face. She looks so much happier, relaxed, and content as she sees you every day. It is so great to see the change in her from early on to now with her forever family. How great that Sean is able to stay with you. I think this is one of the best learning experiences that he could have. He'll catch up on the book work. Enjoy your time there. I will try to catch up with you when Rustam is feeling better.

Tricia said...

Congratulations, your family is growing!!! Just remember that those three weeks are filled with quality time with that little cutie!! Great that your son is staying, he'll have memories that will last a lifetime. Hope Joe is 100% recovered, He'll need the energy to get the house ready for those little inquisitive hands!

Give her a kiss from the three of us.

Chris Trish & Rustam

Trudi said...

beautiful family, insightful judge, lucky baby. it doesn't get better. I agree with you - as hard as the 15 months were, it was the process. and the process ultimately showered you with blessings! Congrats!

Joyce said...

Awesome Susan! We do have a Great God, and he is watching your family grow. You will be a wonderful family for Lezza Grace. Kepp up the good times!
Love,
Kaz Grandmama Joyce