Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lovin Lil Leeza--xoxoxoxo


{warning: very long post--this is a journal for our family too, so I don't want to bore my faithful blog stalkers,but I want to write down my thoughts as they come for Leeza...just explaining my rambling up front)

So sorry for the late post……we moved into our first apartment today and Eugene just came over tonight to show us how to use this internet card we got the from phone company. It’s slightly frustrating not to know how to do simple things like read a phone card, but what’s a gal to do who isn’t versed in the Cyrillic alphabet! I also have no clue how to figure out this washing machine either….

In other news (and I know the only news you REALLY care about), we had a great visit with lil Leeza today. Her group was inside today, and when we walked in, she was getting changed from her nap. She saw us and gave us a huge SMILE! This lil angel has certainly melted our hearts already. It sure didn’t take her long!! We played inside while they fixed lunch. While we were playing, they were bringing the other kids out and putting them in the swings, walker and playpen. It was really cool to be around all these children. I got to “don the feeding garb”( the apron and doo rag) and sit in the tiny chair to feed her. I felt PRESSURE because the caregivers were feeding kids too. At least Joe could watch and tell me what they were doing. It takes some coordination getting Leesa in the lil chair in front of me, so I could get the food in her lil mouth with the big giant spoon. You have to get her kinda between your knees with her lil chair and watch it so she doesn’t slump forward. I think high chairs are much easier!!! She was HUNGRY and dang she gets anxious if you don’t go fast enough. Sean told me that they caregiver fed 3 kids by the time I finished feeding Leeza. She ate almost everything today…her whole bowl of “soup” and then this beef, potatoes, and onions. This child eats better than Sean does. While we ate, Sean took tons of pictures. He is a good lil photographer. We took like 243 pictures today! He got some great ones of the kids in her group. He is getting attached too, not only to his sister, but to the other kids. They are all so sweet and so cute!! After lunch, Leeza got put in a layer of fleece and her lil pink bonnet (I do LOVE the hats they put them in –so adorable!!) and outside we went. It was another GORGEOUS day in Kostanai. It’s so NICE out. I can’t get over this weather. It’s perfect. I would, however, be sweating if I had to wear fleece, but lovely lil Leeza didn’t seem to care. She was a tad fussy a couple times, but was consoled very quickly with hugs from mom and dad. Sean said that “she gave me attitude” for the first time because she was OVER her picture being taken. Joe was hiding her from the camera until I put it away. Already, “my boys” are ganging up on me! The caregivers came over and gave us a stroller, so big brother Sean pushed her around in the stroller. She likes to go FAST! When I would make him slow down so I could take a picture, she would cry. LOL! Once again, time went by all too fast and we had to take her back upstairs. I handed her back to her caregiver and gave her a kiss and said DASVIDANYA, DAS AFTRA! I started walking away and she started CRYING!! As we walked down the stairs, I could hear her sweet lil cry. It breaks my heart-and I have only known this child for 3 days!

Joe and I have already had discussions about me staying the whole time. I just can’t imagine leaving her!!! We’ll just have to take each day as it comes, but I just can’t imagine bonding with this lil angel and then having to say good bye. I just think she needs her family now that she has found us. Joe, of course, is not surprised at all, and said he knew I’d never be able to leave. However, we shall see. We haven’t been here very long (I can’t believe it’s Sunday-we got her Friday) and already I’m attached to this lil blue eyed pixie girl. I still recall that conversation last summer with a mom of one of the kids our neighborhood when she said she could never “love” a child that wasn’t hers. I can’t imagine that-but then again, I know I loved lil Leeza before I even met her!!

Besides loving Leeza, we are all really enjoying the town of Kostanai. It’s so nice! We are also being incredibly spoiled with this awesome weather, but it’s also very cheap! Eugene took us to dinner to his favorite restaurant last night. Joe had a greek salad and Sean and I got meatloaf, and dinner was about $12. We are just amazed at how inexpensive everything is. Joe went to the grocery store and came back with a few things (3 kinds of juice, milk, diet coke, beer, etc) and it was only $25. I really just wish I spoke more Russian. When we were leaving the hotel today to go visit lovely Leeza, the hotel lady stopped us and wanted our key. We weren’t taking our luggage until 1:30, after our visit with the princess. I finally figured out she wanted us to pay our internet bill, but I just got out the phone and called Eugene who was on his way anyway. The only thing that has been frustrating is the lack of ability to communicate with our friends and family in the states. Joe’s blackberry stopped working again. It said he lost his access point?? So, that is really frustrating and my phone is somewhere with someone else or still lost in the London airport. At least we can get ON the internet, (well, we will be able to as soon as Eugene gets here) but dial up is frustrating and slow for an impatient web neck blog stalker eamailer girl like me. One more lesson for me..GO with the FLOW baby.


The food has been REALLY good, the portions are small, so I can see why people lose weight here. This apartment is really nice. It’s so wild because I recognized it in pictures from a year ago when I followed Sarah and Andy’s journey to Zach and Addie. I remember crying and reading their blog and being so excited that SOMEDAY it would be OUR FAMILY bonding with our child…and, HERE WE ARE!! It’s pretty amazing!!!!
It’s been great to see Tricia and Rustam walking around the baby house. Rustam is just adorable. Sean likes him too and wished they lived closer to Florida. However, I just know that we will keep in touch with the Hoffa’s, because we’ve become very close friends in this fabulous journey to our children. Plus, Leeza is buddies with Rustam. Tricia said she has TONS of pictures and videos of Leeza before we met her. Leeza changed groups (moved up) a couple days before we arrived. The caregivers told Tatiana that she cried for 2 days when she moved. AWWW! Poor lil Lepcian!! It reminds me when Sean moved from the 2 year old group to the 3 year old group and how he cried. I do think it’s good though cuz this lil girl can DEFINTELY form attachments. Now, we gotta work on forming one with us.  We are all I certainly already attached to her. Adoption is such a wonderful MIRACLE!!! I think I have decided on her name…
Leeza Grace Serra. Since it is only by the Grace of God that we found each other, I think it’s very appros!!

The in country staff really work their tails off around here! It’s very impressive. They do such a great job at making you feel at home and comfortable.
Tatiana has a day off today, and she has been incredible. She is such a beautiful girl!! Eugene is GREAT with Sean. He gave him a couple Kayne West cd’s to listen to, and took him for ice cream last night. He has a very dry sense of humor, a lot like Joe, so we all get along really well. He says he has heard of me and that I’m a “blog queen”. I wonder WHO TOLD HIM THAT??
Our job is to relax and bond with our daughter, and their job is to get us thru this process.
Kostanai is longer than most regions, which I always saw as a detriment to coming here. Now, of course, I am so glad that we came here, and the wait, the agony, the worrying really was forgotten about the moment I laid eyes on Lil Leeza. Of course, I am also quite aware we still have a loooooooooooooooong road ahead of us before we can take our sweetie home, but we are taking it one day at a time.

I was reading this book of daily devotions that Tricia’s Aunt Mam gave me. The devotion for August 1st (the day of our “best blind date EVER!!—the day we met Leeza) was quite fitting:
Blessed Bond

“Jesus, let thy beautiful presence be always with us.

I will never leave thee, or forsake thee.”
There is no bond of union on earth to compare with the union between a soul that loves Me-and Me. Priceless beyond all earth’s imaginings is that friendship. In the merging of heart and mind and will a oneness results that only those experience it can evenly dimly realize.

15 comments:

Sandi said...

What a beautiful name. Absolutely fitting. So ms. blog queen I am so happy you are enjoying your time in Kostanai, I told you you would fall in love. Eugene and Tatiana are wonderful, and they will take good care of you.

This is a wonderful post and I love all the raw emotions you are posting, it makes us all feel as though we are there. So happy Sean is enjoying himself.

Looking forward to more posts and chatting on skype.

Sandi

Jennifer said...

Aw, I have tears in my eyes. I'm so happy for you guys. You sound over the moon for your little Leeza. And I think Leeza Grace is perfect! A beautiful name for a beautiful little pixie.

I loved staying the whole time. It truly is a trip of a life time, and in the grand scheme of things, it's a mere 2-3 months. A drop in the bucket of life. Obviously you have to do what's best for you (your sanity) and your family though. Good luck trying to figure it out in the coming weeks.

Give lil Leeza a kiss for me!

Kristi Gruizenga said...

Susan, Leeza is breathtakingly beautiful... I can't wait to see more photos but I understand how frustrating the dial-up is. Congratulations, I'm glad things are going so well!

Love from,

Kristi and Mieke in Mexico

Monica said...

Oh I'm SO appreciative of your posts Susan! It's WONDERFUL to hear what a GREAT time you and your men are having there and with Miss Leeza Grace! You know I straddle to Kaz/Kyrgyz blogger crowd since we were first thinking of Kaz so some of my blog friends that are in the process for Kaz but somehow ahve not known of you "the blog queen" are hoping to read of the joy on your blog now. I know you're busy and dealing with the dreaded DIALUP and they understand that too but I think are sending you email to see if they can be added as readers.

Anyway -- praying that you continue to ENJOY your time there in Kaz!!!
:)
Monica

Tricia said...

I love her name that you chose for her. Rustam wants to know if Sean can be his honorary big brother. You know we'll be down there in FL visiting. M-I-C...K-E-Y....M-O-U-S-E! Won't that be fun! Chris sent you an e-mail about the washing machine. Hope you figure it out. Hope you won't need to do bucket baths while you are here, too. In retrospect, a little over two months here was a drop in the bucket of life. We're leaving already and your journey is just beginning. We hope it is a wonderful one for you all. Tricia

Leesa said...

What a gorgeous little girl! And I love the name Leeza Grace :-) I look forward to reading your posts everyday following along with you on your journey. I am so excited for our time to travel too! So glad you are all having a great time together!

Leesa

Sarah and Andy said...

Susan,
Try posting pictures really early in the a.m., that's when we had the best luck in that apartment. FYI we never figured out the rinse on the washing machine and had to squeeze our clothes :) so I'm sure you'll do better than us!!! Leeza is beautiful and sounds like you are doing great. Did you find the park to run?
PS I am SOOOO glad we stayed the whole time....it's time you'll never get back. Just my two cents!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I love your updates and photos. It's like Sandi says....we all feel like we're right there with you!

I can just see how happy you all are! It's wonderful!

Eileen

Anonymous said...

She is such a dainty beauty ;-) How long is Kostanai now? It was tough to leave Alexa so if you decide to do that you'll hate it but you'll do it. If you decide to stay you'll get to see her little face every day though (but I'm sure would get homesick). Blogging from there is frustrating but I'm glad you're hanging in there 'cause we all love reading it!!!
Hugs, Shannon

BabyKazfan said...

Susan,

Wow! Leeza is so precious! I love her name and she is so happy! Sounds as if everything is going great for you all!!!!! Enjoy this amazing journey.....

Love and miss you!!!!!

Natalie xoxo!

Jeannine said...

It's Sunday and we celebrated Madeline being home four years today. Time goes by sooo fast. I love the name Leeza Grace. It's a perfect name for a beautiful girl. Again, I am soooo happy for you!

Sally said...

Susan, Joe & Sean,
I'm so thankful you all made it safely! I have loved all the pics and the wonderfully long blogs explaining every detail! Thank you for taking the time to do that!!!!! It feels like we are right there with you in y'alls journey with Leeza. She is absolutely precious and beautiful!!!!! Loved the picture of her and Joe and the big smiles on both of their faces!!!!! My heart is so full for all of y'all and I can't wait for the next blog so we can hear more of what is going on. I have laughed and almost cried (eyes were very full!!!) on your postings. Love you girl and praying for you all while you are bonding with your daughter!

demarest6 said...

Whatever you decide to do you have many friends that would love to help you, so please let us!!! Your daughter is just an angel. I remember one specific day you called me, very upset, and we prayed, asking the Lord to grant you peace, I am so glad you placed your trust in him, look how much he loves you! First, he gave you a dynamic husband(not what I would have said when I worked for him haha) an athletic, academic, and sweetheart of a son, and now a daughter hand picked for you! John 16:24-ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

BabyKazfan said...

This is the first time I have ever posted to a blog so I hope it worked. I am so happy for you, Joe and Sean. I wake up every morning and the first thing I do it look at your blog. She is SOOOOOO beautiful. She is 2 weeks older than Sarah across the street so Leeza has a playmate close by. I tld Sarah all about her new friend. She too is excite to meet her.

We love and miss you. Can't wait to hug baby Leeza. Give Sean and joe a hug from the Fady's.

Chris & Christy said...

Leeza Grace is perfect! I love love the name Grace, in fact, I live on Grace Drive. :)

It is fun to see pictures of Sean with his little sister, I can only imagine what he must be feeling.

You are so right, adoption is truly a miracle!

Christy