Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday-an incredible day in SO many ways!!





We had a really nice day today. It started off early, as we were picked up by Tatiana at 7:45 for an 8:00 tour of the Delphin baby house. I have read about this tour so many times back in the “ole blog stalking days of yore” that I almost felt like I had been on it before! There is nothing like seeing with your own eyes though. Wow! They really do an impressive job here-and Dr. Irina is VERY proud, and rightfully so. We saw the isolation room, where the babies stay for 21 days right when they are admitted to the baby house (On Monday’s). The sauna, salt room, swimming pool, and speech therapy room were also really impressive. I was amazed at the kitchen and how the head lady there keeps track of all the kids meals, their calorie requirements, how much they eat, how much it costs, etc. It’s all done meticulously by hand. I loved seeing all the children..they are so adorable! It just breaks my heart that they all don’t have parents they live with. I was surprised when Dr. Irina told us that over 60% of the children at the Delphin baby house are NOT available for adoption, and of those that are, only 10% are available for adoption to the US. No wonder we wait so long-but, I have to say, it’s totally worth the wait. Sean has already asked when we can come back and adopt another one. He is clearly taken with these children as much as we are. I am SO glad I brought him with us. None of us will EVER be the same after this, that is for sure.

After our tour, we had our medical interview about Leeza. There are a few concerns, but I am confident that we can work with her on an issues she may have. After our medical interview, we got to take part in something amazing! They had the “grand opening” of the playground that the Wiley’s donated to the Delphin baby house. They had cookies, and juice, and 2 groups of kids come out to play. There were balloons everywhere and the kids were just PRECIOUS! We got to play, with the kids, on the playground, for an hour and a half. It was SO MUCH FUN! I got so many adorable pictures for Leeza. I’m sorry, I can’t share them since they’re of the kids, but let me suffice it to say, they’re INCREDIBLE! We got to give cookies to the kids “one for each hand” and they kept coming back for more. Sean had a BALL running around and playing with them too. Joe had this lil guy who came running up to him, and Joe held him for awhile. When he went to put him down, the lil dude just hugged on his legs until Joe picked him back up.
The caregivers told us that his biological father visits him often so he really likes men.
After this lil cherub had to go in, some other lil dude found his way into Joe’s arms. I got some incredible shots of Sean holding onto this lil boy and laughing. I had so much fun playing and running around with the kids. It really just breaks your heart. I wish I could take them all home!! It was chilly this morning, and it started warming up, so the caregivers just took the kids pants off (they had shorts underneath) and let them keep playing. I will never forget it-I feel so blessed to have been a part of something like this.

We went to see Leeza in her hut outside at 11 and she was still sleeping. I got some adorable pics of her in her sleeping angel pose. They woke her up , and she was all smiles. She really does seem laid back. We played for a bit and it was time for lunch. I donned my doo rag and apron and they gave her an extra big bib underneath her bib this time..I guess they heard that Leeza’s mama is very MESSY! Of course, we still made a big mess but she is a good lil eater. I guess I am getting a lil better cuz she didn’t get as frustrated with me today. I think she is cutting her old lady some slack! I got to meer her care giver today, Aigul. She is very sweet. She told us that Leeza is crawling and babbling and is always happy and alert, but calm at the same time. I hadn’t seen her crawl, so that was good news to hear. Aigul told Tatiana that I was “fashion forward”. How FUNNY IS THAT!! (Sara Tennen-that was my Target skirt outfit!!!). I told her that is why I needed a girl cuz Momma does like to shop!! After lunch, Sean really wanted to push Leeza in her stroller. She really loves it, but I don’t think that’s the best “bonding” activity we can do with her when we only get a measly 2 hours a day. We just went a couple times around and went back on the grass to play. When it was time to take her back at 1, we hung out for another 30 minutes (at least) in the hut. We had so much fun playing with the other kids in her group. They are all so adorable! Sean has been an incredible lil photographer. He gets such unique shots and does a great job of getting shots of all the kids. He is really really sweet playing with Leeza, and with Leeza’s buddies in group 11. Leeza and Sean spent good quality time today blowing raspberries at each other. It was cute, but then Sean was spitting all over the place, which wasn’t THAT cute.

It was a really unforgettable day. We went to the store (it’s called GROS, but it’s not really gross) and I got some cherry juice, yogurt, chocolate, cheese, and beer. I just finished some yummy bread with cheese and some cherry juice for lunch. It was really yummy! The juice here is really GOOD! We really eat a lot less here so far, which is good. We all could stand to lose a few lbs in the process. It was so interesting at the grocery story just trying to figure out what everything was.
I successfully washed my first load of laundry and it didn’t turn grey! GO ME!

I hope I can download some pics today. I do them one a time, and they are small, but maybe not small enough. What can I say..I am FASHION FORWARD, not a TECHNICAL GENIUS. I can’t have it all…..

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Its comforting to hear that the children are being well-cared for. Thanks for sharing that. Your journey is so fascinating.

Tricia said...

Her smile is so cute. Her face just lights up. Love the dimple, too. Sean is awesome with her.

Unknown said...

What a great day and Leeza is adorable! I can't wait to see her in person. (-: One of the reasons we wanted to adopt from Kazakhstan is that the kids are so well cared for and the Delphin House has been reported to be such a good place.

Enjoy your bonding!

Sandi said...

Love the update and pictures. Yes you are definitely fashion forward.

Her smile lights up a room.

Sandi

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I sent an excerpt of your posting to my family. We are debating bringing the boys to Kaz and you so beautifully said how wonderful it is for Sean to be with you. I love reading about your journey.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Wow, what a day. It must be so amazing for past families to be able to hear that their work is continuing! I am sure they are going to love your photos! Leeza is so beautiful, and we are so happy for you. This experience for Sean will more than make up for a few days of missed school! (I'm sure he agrees -- ha!) Tell him that Max and Glenn are going to the Bengals training camp on Thursday and that they will take lots of pics for Sean!

Karen said...

I'm so darn jealous—in Uralsk, the preschool orphanage director was very strict. We were forbidden to take pictures in the orphanage, spend time with the other children or even see where Garrett spent time sleeping, eating and playing. We were finally granted permission to do all of things on "Gotcha Day" but it was done very quickly. We weren't even allowed to go outside with him (even if it was a warm, sunny spring day).

Love Leeza's smile—it's wonderful to see how well she's bonding with papa and big brother. What a little kazakhcutie!

MM said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't think you got to meet the baby until Today! (Tuesday, 8/5)I was so surprised to see how much i have missed. She is gorgeous Chickpea!!! I am so excited for you. You are probably going to come back with 10 the way you describe the scene :) YEA YEA YEA!!! Hello to Sean and Joe and hugs from Leeza from her soontobe boyfriend Mac! :) Love you!

Aaron and Julie said...

It sounds like you guys are doing awesome. Leeza is a doll and it sounds like bonding is going well. I love all of the pictures :) You guys are living the dream right now!!!! Blessings, hugs & prayers!
Julie

demarest6 said...

You are forever changed my friend! And think of all the lives you have impacted. What family will adopt because of your journey? By the way Rob said I could go!!!! I love you and your family more than you can imagine. The Lord has bonded us forever!xoxo

Tricia said...

Great smiles from Leeza, what a cutie!! Your son looks like he's having a great time. Wonderful to hear that he's as involved as you. Leeza has a big brother to watch over her!

It is heartbreaking & heartwearming at the same time seeing those kids. Knowing that they are very well cared for, but saddening that they aren't with a family. Hard to resist them when they come up to you with a gift of a rock or the remnants of a well worn toy.

Enjoy your time there. Two hours of joy, followed by twenty two hours of killing time until the next morning with Leeza!

Chris

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm glad you had a great day! Your post and pictures make me smile.

BabyKazfan said...

Susan, I can feel the joy in your voice and your heart as your write about Baby Leeza-what a wonderful blessing to be able to share with you across the miles. I cannot wait to meet Leeza and give you a huge hug for your courage. I am a proud friend!!!!!
Love you!
Kari

Kelly and Sne said...

How incredible that you were able to interact with the other children too. We are already starting to plot our return... forever families for everyone!

And Leeza is as cute as ever. Glad you found the grocery - I think it's fun to peruse foreign grocery stores looking for treasures!

Maegan and Tony Van Sant said...

She is abosolutely gorgeous! YOu can tell by the pictures that she lights up the room! Reading your blog makes us miss Kaz all that much more! Congrats!

demarest6 said...

Okay one more thing fashion diva, I really want a picture of you in the dinner garb..

Jeannine said...

I second what Laura said. I have to see that!

Remember, you all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers during your journey.

Angela said...

Love the smiles and DIMPLES!

Jan said...

One look and you can see her beautiful soul through those beautiful blue eyes. She is perfect. Your prayers have been answered. God Bless.

MM said...

I cannot BELIEVE I missed your message, I was so mad at myself. I am so excited for you, Sean and Joe. She is BEAUTIFUL Chickpea! and she will be fashion forward too because of her mama! Love you!

Sam said...

cute lil baby. congrats on getting there and things being great so far

BabyKazfan said...

oh my gosh!!! I'm so excited for you to bring her home!! A new little (big) cousin for Brooke!! Put more pictures of you guys on there...have you given her any puffs yet?

BabyKazfan said...

Hey Sean!! You look pretty funny in your pictures! Well, you are pretty funny!! Hey, Johnny and Gina miss you...maybe you can spend the night upstairs when you come home...I think Leeza is going to really like Brooke and Brooke is really gonna like Leeza!! Hey, they can like share toys and clothes and snacks and stuff!
I'd bet Leeza would like to go in our pool, maybe she can ride in Brooke's floatie!! We sure are happy about you coming home...Hey, both of your sisters are just beautiful!! (Your brother isn't so bad either)!! Hey sean I saw a ranboul today!

Jennifer said...

LOL!! Fashion forward is good enough!

I LOVE that smile! Thank you for taking a picture and sharing it.

I'm so glad to hear you had an awesome day, and loved the babyhouse tour. I always feel sad for parents who don't find enjoyment in the place from which their children came.

Matthew Ruley said...

She is so cute! So glad you could get pics up. Talking of fashion forward, I guess you didn't need those cool boots afterall...

Thinking of you!

Alysa said...

Leeza is a doll. I too am amazed that you were to interact and even take pictures with so many of the other children. How wonderful for all of you!

Enjoy your time with your dimpled little cutie. It is amazing how quickly the time passes.