Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Princess Leeza is "working" her mom already!



For sure, no doubt, my princess status has been totally and completely DETHRONED by the newest Serra in town...no other than...Princess Leeza Grace Serra.



We had a great time today, but she is really working her mother. When it came time to each lunch, she pulled the ole crying squirming out of her chair thing.


I finally got her settled down and she ate her soup. Then, she started having a cow again. Almagoul came over and just started shoveling it in, and she ate it ALL! I rarely get her to eat it ALL. I don't know if I was going to slow for her, or if she just knows Mommy will let her get away with not eating, or she knows I'll coddle her more, or WHAT! It's frustrating though! I could not believe how fast she was shoveling food in, and half was falling out of her mouth. It was really quite unlady like and I know my mom (Leeza's Mimi) would DEFINTELY not approve. It was quite unladylike and not very mannerly!! Leeza has never done this at meal time but it started yesterday. Since many of my faithful blog readers are adoptive parents themselves, has anyone else experienced this? I'm almost afraid Leeza is going to lose weight once she comes home with me! I hear all these stories about how kids gain weight and grow so quickly once they're home with their parents,but I am kinda paranoid Leeza will not eat and she will lose weight! Granted, she will be able to eat as often or as much as little as she wants until we figure it out, and I still remember Sean's doctor telling me that he would NOT STARVE no matter how little he would eat. I do notice that she always give a pretty good size burp after she eats, so maybe she just gets gas bubbles in her stomach or something, I don't know. Oh, by the way, her new tooth broke thru. I knew she was teething again the way she was gnawing on everything like a puppy. I have watched her get 2 new teeth since we've been here! That is kinda cool. She now has 4 on the bottom,and 4 on the top. Both of her new ones have been on the bottom. I still haven't noticed her drooling though..weird. I am sure she is saving drooling for after Gotcha day. She will save the drooling and throwing up for then I am sure.

After lunch, we put on the snow suit and hat and went for an hour and 5 minute walk. She fell asleep after 30 minutes. It was nice--a win-win for everyone. Leeza likes it outside and gets a change of scenery, and Mommy gets much needed exercise, and snuggle time with Leeza. Plus, the "powernap" always seems to do her some good!

We went to the visitation room, but there was a Kazakh couple with a lil teeny baby in there! So, we just played outside Leeza's room. I tried on her new shoes and they were pretty cute! I think they fit her, she also had on the jammies with feets and we won't be wearing those with our shoes, and they still fit with all that extra material, so I think we're good. They have fur on the inside..so cute...and only 900 tenge!





It was fun because it was a new place to play. Almagoul came out and brought 2 lil boys and one lil girl to play with us. Natasha came in with her son too, and we had a big play party. It was really fun. Almagoul was the caregiver I was scared of at first. Now, she's so nice and always give me a smile. I was so glad she brought the other kids out and she was having fun playing with Leeza's toys with the kids. The kids were so FASCINATED with new toys. However, Lil Miss Princess was not sure what she thought of her buddies playing with HER TOYS. She kept grabbing them out of the kids hands. Of course, we made her share and she got over it. On the one hand, I think she is so excited to have toys of her very own after living in a "baby commune" environment, but on the other hand, I don't want a bratty princess who doesn't share with her friends either.

She did drink her cookies and milk today no problem with no muss and no fuss. I went to put her down for her nap and she laid down, and I kissed her goodbye. She then got up, pulled herself up, and was waving at Mommy with a big grin on her face. All the other kids popped up out of their cribs and they're all smiling and laughing. I was laughing and sayin SPOT SPOT and laying them back down, but it wasn't working. They just got back up. SEAN..YOUR BUDDY 'D' said BYE BYE!!! I swear Leeza has told them all...."Guys...my mommy is so in love with me, she will do ANYTHING for you. I have heard her tell my brother Sean that YOU CAN'T SPOIL A BABY!!!



By the way, a huge thank you to those who told us that we cannot stay in Frankfurt since Leeza doesn't have a visa. I had not checked with anyone, but after Joe told me how much better staying overnight in Frankfurt was, I thought we'd just do it too. I hadn't asked Eugene and company yet. My blogger buddies are the best, as usual. Eugene explained to me today that Frankfurt requires a visa if you are Kaz citizen and that is what Lil Leeza is until she lands in the USA. I heard it's a real pain to get her a visa too. So, I guess we will not be doing that!

Mommy's night out
We had fun at the Beerhouse last night. I only had one beer, a "Carlsberg" and a salad biz maynoisa, and some string cheese and these really YUMMY croutons Ivan ordered. They were sauted in olive oil and garlic. No cotton mouth or headache this morning!!! They picked me up at 9 and I got home around midnight. Ivan and I played this "rhmye off" game. I was telling them how I like to rhmye. Ivan wrote down 4 words and had me write a rhyme. Then, I would write down 4 more words,and he would do a rhyme. He defintely has the gift of poetry as well, but his talent is much much more impressive because english is his second langauge. I have a really cute picture of Ivan, Tatiana and I but I want to ask them if it's ok if i post it on my blog.

Here are some examples of our rhyme game:

I gave Ivan these words: happy, sappy, grow, and snow
I had to explain what sappy meant. :) I was quite impressed with Ivan because Lord knows I could NEVER RHMYE in Russian!

At the baby house , I feel so happy
Seeing Susan with Leeza , it's so sappy
They're like flowers, slowly growing
In the winter when it's always snowing


I gave him book, look, pretty, and city . At the time, I was looking at Tatiana's english book (for her students at the university) had in her purse and it was called Straightforward English.

There's a Straightforward english book
A woman's going to have a look
Though I'm not drunk she looks so pretty
Perhaps the best that's in our city


He gave me dear, beer, face and grace. Here is my masterpiece!

I have to tell you, Ivan dear
I really like this Kostanai beer
But not as much as my sweet daughter's face
There's NOTHING as good as Leeza Grace!







12 days to go until Gotcha day!!

15 comments:

Sandi said...

Yes your princess status has been taken over. That is how it goes once you have a daughter.

I love the rhyming, I will have to come up with something witty.

Hope your having a great day.

Sandi

BabyKazfan said...

Good stuff Sue! You could be a rapper-

I loved the picture where she was about to cry- too cute.

Love,

Stacey

Alysa said...

I love the rhymes! What fun!

Yep, sounds like there has been a coup in the princess realm.

I know nuttin' about feeding young kids, but could part of her fussiness be the teething? Maybe it hurts to eat if her gums are sore. Just a thought from this total novice.

Thanks for the info on the Frankfurt visa. I was hoping for both our sakes!

Tricia said...

Did you find out if you can take Leeza back to the apartment after the waiting period? That would be great. I forgot to say how funny that snowsuit photo was yesterday. I forgot about the snow suit bundling after the summer heat. The rooster man turns his head and protests when he doesn't want any more food. Then he usually makes up for it at another meal. I think babies listen to their hunger better than us. He will let us know when he is hungry. Chris calls it ringing for service. So don't worry. I think it is very unnatural how they shovel it in, but they have to get their nutrition in based on their time constraints. Ask them for an updated weight for her so you have something to compare over time. Rustam jumped up the growth curve majorly and it didn't seem like his intake was that great. Leeza looks great and will thrive even more when you get home. It is amazing to see how these children thrive with their families full time. Wow, only 12 more days!!!

marsrob said...

12 days left! Yahoo!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

There was a girl who we called Busta
Typin' up all the rhymes that she could musta
While waitin' to bust out Leeza Grace
And feed her at a normal pace

The caregivers called Roxana a "slow eater" but still shoveled food in her mouth at lightning speed. She didn't experience a big weight gain when we brought her home, but that's OK. She still grew and continues to grow at her normal rate. Don't worry, Leeza will be fine.

Trudi said...

I can't get enough of those beautiful adoring eyes gazing so lovingly at her Mommy. I agree with Jenny - don't worry about the food issue at this point. She'll eat for you and she won't starve. This doesn't mean there won't be a period of adjustment, however! But look at all the other Kaz kids at home ... none has starved! In fact, the thrive. Leeza will too. And I have every confidence Sean will help.

Jennifer said...

Oh I love your rhyme game. I'm sitting here laughing in joy!

As for the food thing, our ped warned us that once kids hit 12 months, some days they'll eat, and some days they won't. Gigi was a little delayed/advanced? in the eating area (grin) and hit that stage around 15 months, but even now, there are days when she'll eat more than me, and then there are days (literally 3 days in row) where she won't eat more than half a piece of bread the entire time! I figure as long as she's drinking her milk and fluids, her body knows best and will take in food when needed. All that to say, I don't know if it's a BH thing, or if she's just hitting the normal 12 month slow down.

Karen said...

Yes, you're blogging buddies are correct—please do not leave the airport in Frankfurt with your little princess. That would not make a good blog story.

Love the shoes, love the rhyming, love the way your girl is working you. ;-)

12 days and counting...

Chris & Christy said...

I would have to agree that the feeding practices in Kaz are anything shy from horrific and terribly unladylike! :) No worries on Leeza's weight loss/gain once you bring her home. What she is eating right now is not super nutricious, so once you get her home and give her fruits, veggies and real food she will gain weight. And the right weight. :)

PS - I don't appreciate you bragging about your daughter's lack of drool. :) hahaha My daughter is a drooling machine! Yuck! No so ladylike either!

Christy

Kelly and Sne said...

yes, you are now a loyal subject! Don't worry about her starving... we started letting Miras stop eating when he was full in the baby house (I couldn't believe how much they gave them!) and he lived. And once you get home she'll have much tastier food (and a better variety). Now Miras will double-fist the stuff he really likes (mostly carbs!). And I can't believe how much he'll eat at a sitting sometimes!

Kim said...

Glad to read Joe and Sean made it home safely. I LOVE the princess picture. I have a picture of Noah like that posing, it is hysterical. The rhymes are great!

12 days will be here before you know it!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I'm glad Joe and Sean made it home. Soon you and Leeza will be there too. Sean was right- it is humid here so you are not missing anything.

I love the description of her eating.... Luckily she's so cute (and smart) that no one will care that she eats like a linebacker.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Ah...you're still a princess Susie-Q! :) You're both princesses!!

Yes, I've heard of the food shoveling. I guess that takes some getting used to. We'll see if we get to experience that as well.

Very cute that all the kids were popping up to say goodbye to you!!

Eileen

Joby and Marla said...

Gosh...I was teary eyed just reading your post. I have worried that I would fall in love with a child that is not mine while at the orphanage & be haunted forever.
Sometimes you just have to trust that God knows best & he has a better plan than we can imagine.

I am still on cloud nine & shopping like a mad woman!!!!!