Monday, September 22, 2008

Back on Track Monday!!!


I just got off the phone with Sean, and he was getting dressed and ready for his debut back at school! I was so impressed with how he sounded. He was wide awake, chipper, and ready to see his buddies at school.He brought back a bunch of coins so that he could give every kid in the 5th grade some tenge. He also got his teacher a gift and the other 5th grade teacher (who will teach him his very favorite subject, HISTORY)a gift. He picked them out himself. I am really proud of him!! He sounded so incredibly mature. Joe is taking him to school today, to take him into the office to let them know he's back (school started August 20th) and to meet his teacher. He finished all the work he was given, so I am hoping he won't be too far behind! Joe said the phone didn't stop ringing yesterday from his buddies calling him since they knew he was home. Seanie is a pretty popular guy! He had 2 fun days playing with his friends. I know he is excited about playing football at school today. I will be anxious to hear about his day in the morning. It's so weird..his evening is my morning..freaky. I'm a lil teary eyed right now because I miss him. :) However, my frown will be turned upside down soon when I talk about his sister, Miss Leeza Grace! She makes me smile and she is HERE, not millions of miles away. :) Plus, I know we'll be home very soon, but I also have very mixed emotions about leaving here. I really do love it here very much!






It was a GORGEOUS day in Kostanai today. The sun was bright and shining, although right now it seems like the clouds kinda covered it up. Lunch went well today. Leeza ate her soup like a champ, and just turned her head when she was done with her second courses. That is more what I am used to her with her. She just turns her head and shuts her mouth and won't eat anymore when she is full. The past 2 days she was crying and squirming with real tears before I even got a spoon full in. They did show me that another girl in her group downs EVERYTHING, but that's ok with me that Leeza doesn't. I would much rather her stop when she is full! The food her is very nutricious though..she gets carbs and protein and veggies in every lunch I feed her! I would say she eats WAY more than I could ever get Sean to eat at her age. Plus her food is prepared fresh every day, and he ate baby food!





After her lunch, we went for an hour and 15 minute walk. It was so nice out, I didn't even wear my jacket. I had Leeza strapped to me in her ergo and snowsuit, plus walking briskly kept me warm! One of the caregivers was outside with a stroller with 3 lil babies in it, all snuggly together. She had on a coat and hat. She asked me," HOLANDA, HOLANDA" and rubbed her arms. I said, NYET, and pointed to Leeza, hoping she understood that I was NOT "HOlanda" (cold) because Leeza kept me warm.
Leeza took her power nap again and I kept on trucking, around and around and around the baby house I went. Joe and Sean would never walk that much with me, they said they got dizzy. :) We had been walking about 45 minutes when we saw Kelly and Doug and Natasha arrive. Natasha came out with her son and we walked around a few times with them. Leeza was asleep, but when they asked if Leeza was sleeping, she opened her eyes like a little sleeping beauty! I would have stayed out even longer today because it was so nice, but I felt like I was restricting Leeza from playing so we went in. I do love our walks and I love the snuggle time, but we gotta mix it up!!





I was taking off her snowsuit, etc and Almagoul came out and motioned me to come into the kids playroom. All the kids were gone though. After a few minutes, Asiil started bringing them back in. They were all getting showers or baths (or whatever they get here?) and they all had their heads wrapped up in blankets and tied around their chests so they'd stay on. It was HILARIOUS. I got some great pictures. I wanted them to come play on the floor with us, but I THINK the told me they don't want them on the floor with wet heads or maybe cuz they were all clean. So, Leeza and I played on the floor and all the kids watched with rapt attention. I handed them some stacking cups and a couple other toys and they had a blast. I also brought my ipod and speakers in and they were rocking out! I was laughing so hard! I am so in love with these children and I am so attached to them! I am going to miss them so much. They are such sweethearts! I got SO many pictures today. Sean will really like them. A new guy started today, I am assuming maybe he moved up from the younger group. He is a real cutie too! I am really going to miss all the kiddo's. I wish I could know what will happen for them. I don't know their situation, if they will become available for adoption or if they have family right now who visits, or what. I just know that they are very sweet and lovelable children who deserve a family! There are so many families too waiting for their turn to come. It just doesn't seem fair to the kids or to the waiting parents.



They asked me to get more pampers for Leeza. The big jumbo box of 135 is gone already, but I don't care. I THINK they were telling me they used them all when we had the water turned off, but I don't care anyway. Diapers are so expensive here and I would much rather every kid wear one anyway. I am thinking of a a fundraiser for 2 Hearts for Hope. I have friends from my life at Tech Data, and we could put together a slide show off all the incredible pictures I've taken, and perhaps have a silent auction as well. (Patti and Maria...I'm talking about you guys!!)I want to raise as much money as we can for these children!! There is NO WAY that people would not give once they see the faces of these incredible sweet children!
I would also love to figure out a way to ship stuff to Kostanai for the Dolphin baby house specifically. It's so expensive to ship here,but maybe thru Eugene and Tatiana and my smart husband we can figure out a way. There is just NO WAY I can do nothing after having been here and seeing how much these women do for these children. I was watching the caregivers while I was playing with Leeza. THEY NEVER SIT DOWN!! These ladies WORK THEIR ASSES OFF!! They are ALWAYS always always working, and they also love the children too. It's so obvious. Even the one caregiver I was scared of, (who is now super sweet to me and was the one who invited me to come in the playroom) gives them hugs and kisses.


I totally understand why people get home and say they want to come back for another child. It's so hard to get here, but once you are HERE, it's so wonderful that you "forget" the labor pains and you are ready to start all over again!! I so wonder what will happen in the next few months with Kaz adoptions. I know it's getting more difficult and rumors are rampant. I have not read any of them, and I wish I hadn't read them before I came. However, when you are waiting, you are DYING to hear any piece of information that might shed light on the process.




As you can tell, I have a heavy heart today. It's a happy heart, for sure, I am very much in love with my daughter and I am very much in love with her country and where she got her start in life. I just feel so helpless and I want to do MORE for these children!! I know that their lil faces are going to be imprinted on my memory forever. I have such mixed feelings on leaving here! On the one hand, I am so excited to introduce Leeza to her family (she has a very big one!!) and all my friends who are so excited to meet her. I am starting to actually imagine what our daily routine will look like once we are home! However, I know I will cry when I take her out of the baby house, and I will cry when I leave Kostanai. I have heard my other blogger girlfriends talk about these conflicting feelings, and I am experiencing it as well. I get teary eyed just thinking about it!

14 comments:

Sandi said...

Susan
Reading your post today was so heartwarming. I know that it must be so hard to be 1/2 way around the world as your first baby goes to 5th grade but to know that your with your daughter. Sean is in great hands and he has grown so much from having lived in Kostanai for 6 weeks. I'm so proud of you hanging in Kaz by yourself and truly loving it. Kostanai is a great city and that baby house is amazing along with your coordinators. I can truly understand how you feel and that is how I can continue on my journey to motherhood. I think everyone is affected in some way or another when they adopt from Kaz. It truely is an amazing place.

I can't wait until you are home and we can have our shopping trips and lunchs with Leeza.

Life is grand
As Leeza holds your hand
Your heart is happy
and your a little sappy
Soon you will be back here
amongst all the cheer.

Love ya.. sandi

marsrob said...

I am crying just reading that. I remember vividly taking Aila out of the babyhouse and then out of Semey. I was bawling the whole time. It is so complex.

But then you get home!

I am so impressed with your son. What an amazing kid. And a life experience you have offered him like no other. What incredible parents you are!

MM said...

Hey Chickpea! You can count us in! We will help raise $ for diapers or whatever those precious little babies need. I wish the process was easier for the waiting parents & those children who so deserve loving homes & families. We will do everything we can to help.Maybe you and Joe should start your own baby house...My Baby Rocks! Is what you can call it :) And you can specialize in helping to unite children with parents who will love them as quickly as possible! I bet Sean is going to miss his mama! What a big guy though starting football & heading back to school. I am sure that you are all going to be very glad to be reunited...as much as you do like it in Kaz. Sorry I wasn't able to check in over the weekend. We had a good time at the wedding, but as usual with little Mac...very little sleep. Well, you are getting very close with your countdown! Hey, maybe we can do a special baby shower for you & Leeza that includes donations to the baby house? hmmm...I bet we can come up with some good ideas! Love ya!

Alysa said...

It is so wonderful, yet bittersweet, that you get to interact with all the other children. I think that is something special in Kostenai. It breaks my heart as well to think of all the deserving children that are living their lives in the orphanages for whatever reason. The caretakers definitely love these kids, but nothing can replace a family.

Sean is a great kid and his experience in Kaz was truly priceless. A very special bond he has already forged with his sweet little sister.

Just counting the days now...

demarest6 said...

I am so happy, I get to see your son today!!!! Susan someone posted a few days ago that you are gorgeous, I know they were speaking of the outside, of which I agree, but anyone that knows the inside, it is even more beautiful. Sometimes I am so incredibly jealous of your adoption journey, as mine was SOO different, but it is your heart that makes your journey so beautiful. I remember the day we met and how I came home and told Rob, she is so much fun, and special, little did I know. You have already blessed the baby house and I know you will continue to. God brought you to Kaz for many specific reasons, I am so glad you are open to all he has for you. You've made me an emotional mess today!! Keep shining your light Susan.xoxo

Sarah and Andy said...

Susan,
Given your post today, would you mind asking about those two girls I had asked you about before you left? I don't really want to put any more info on here, but hopefully you'll remember--maybe you could ask Tatiana...please? :) Thanks and thinking of you. Sarah

Tricia said...

Susan,

Like we've talked about, this experience changes you. I had a precious few hours to go to the mall this weekend to get some clothes for myself and yet I found myself wandering the baby section looking for things to buy and donate to the baby house. I continue to think about the children there and, like you, am anxious to start spreading the word about them for help. Just being there and sharing our story has already called people to action. It is really amazing. It is a conflicting feeling leaving, but you will be so happy to start your 24/7 life with lil Leeza Grace that those emotions will get you through. How nice that Sean is sharing his experience with everyone. That is some of the best education you can get! Tricia

BabyKazfan said...

Wow suz...

This has certainly been a life altering experience- it is great that you are sharing it- so I can get a glimpse. Love you and am so proud you are my sister!

Love,

Stacey

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, I'm in tears now remembering. There was this one little boy- he was so sweet. He was about 3, but very tall and mature looking for his age. Every single day he was outside, he would come up to me and just watch me. Some days he even picked wild flowers from the BH grounds and brought them to me. I felt such a connection with him. We had brief conversations as my Russian was poor, but he conveyed all he needed to in his eyes. I still get choked up thinking about him.

As for me and mine, there is no 'if' about it. We WILL go back to Kaz someday. Who knows if our other children are there, but even if it's simply to visit and to remember, we'll go back. How could we possibly not? The country of Kaz is a magical place- not made of fairy tales and spun gold, but of dreams made and dreams lost. A second home in my heart.

Karen said...

What a contrast Kazakhstan is when you compare it to other countries. For example, yesterday a woman who came to my play group just adopted from Vietnam and she told us about her experiences. Her son only ate rice with a sliver of meat (and who knows what kind of meat) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He was skinny as a rail and this after he gained 6 pounds in the last month under her care . The hotel she stayed at in Hanoi stunk to high heaven. She hated the city for many reasons, which I won't disclose here because it was sickening to hear.

In so many ways, we are blessed that our child(ren) were born in Kazakhstan.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm glad Leeza ate better today. Maybe her tummy was upset the past couple of days.

It was sad to leave the baby house (and the sweet children there) and Kostanai. I was so happy to know that all the kids in Roxana's room (except for one) were being adopted, but the day before we took Roxana, a whole new batch of adorable babies moved into her room, and I only know for sure that two have been adopted. I hope that all of the waiting parents and waiting children will be united soon! Having witnessed the excellent care the kids receive, I can rest in the knowledge that they are in good hands until that day.

I often miss Kostanai and hope that we'll be able to take Roxana back there some day!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

You are getting closer by the minute! I can't wait for you to get her and get all those layers off and she will be running you in circles! Plus we can see all the darling outfits you have for the princess! Cute pics, and glad the boys are home safe. Gena,Jaimie and Berik

Leesa said...

WOW! I'm now all teary eyed too. I know I will be just as emotional when we get to where you are now.

Sean is such a cool kid :-) I'm sure Leeza will be a pretty cool gal when she is his age too

Leesa

Kelly and Sne said...

It's so great that you have such warm memories of Leeza's birthplace and see any annoyance as something to laugh about later! You really will be Leeza's memories of her first home. We took photos of Miras with each caregiver and left them copies. The ladies were holding them to their hearts and crying at the window when we left - so if you haven't considered this it's an idea...