Monday, September 29, 2008

Independent Mom goes shopping SOLO!




It was a great Monday in Kostanai today. The sun was shining brightly, and my new Kazakhstan jacket keeps me cozy and warm, along with a sweet lil girl in a snowsuit strapped in my ergo!

Leeza ate a great lunch today-no messin around, and then we had to gear up in the snowsuit for our walk. She doesn't like that part (the gearing up) but I gave her my watch to play with so that made her happy. We walked for over an hour...she took a power nap for about 25 minutes. We were on our way in, when all the kiddo's in her group were bundled up to come outside. The caregivers asked me to go back out, so I helped them carry out the snowsuited up kids to put them in the strollers. I pretended I had triplets, pushed 2 in the stroller while carrying Leeza in the ergo. LOL It was fun though and they all look so cute bundled up.
However, by the time we went in, we'd been outside over an hour and a half and Leeza was ready to get out and play!




We headed up to the playroom but it was only about 5-10 minutes before a horrific smell emated from my sweet rose of a daughter-so we had to go downstairs to get her diaper changed. She had to sit on the potty because she wasn't "done" so we spent another 45 minutes playing while Leeza finished her "business". By the time she was done, we only had 10 minutes left before milk and cookies and time for "spot" (sleep!). I wished we could have played more, but oh well.......SOON!

After lunch, I went out shopping ALL BY MYSELF! I felt pretty independent! It sounds silly, I guess, but I'm always accompanied by my "dream team", so I haven't really ventured into stores "solo" with my lame Russian skills. However, I did today, and I got some cool shoppin done! I got myself a new purse, and Leeza a sweet lil Kazakh purse (for when she's older), and a cool lil book of Kostanai from the Kazakh souvenir store. I also got her a potty, a sippy cup, some soska's, some nice warm socks, some jammies, and some new toys for the apartment that I thougth she'd like. I also bought 15 soska's (pacifier's) for her group because it seems like they are always short. They give them to the kids when it's time for nap time.
I looked at walkers, but I didn't like the selection so I will check out this other baby store near my house tomorrow.

I got home and was very pleased with my purchases, and Ivan called and asked me what my plans for dinner were. I had eaten some triscuits and cheese, and said I was fine, didn't need dinner. However, he said they were going to pick me up in 5 minutes because they wanted my company. :) They are really nice to me.
We went to this new USSR restaurant below the new Gros that was very good, and also had an english menu. I had a greek salad and a peva. :) I met a sweet Kazakh girl named Aliya who was an immigration police officer. She liked practing her english, so it was fun to talk to her. I loved her because she did not believe I was 42 years old. :)

Tomorrow, we are planning on getting Leeza's passport picture! Tatiana's transmission is going out in her car, it won't go into drive, SO, I hope we can still go. However, she is always resourceful so I imagine she'll get us a ride. Ivan is still picking me up tomorrow with a business asociate of his, in his car, I was all prepared to walk to the baby house (it's only about 4 miles) but I guess that won't be neccessary!

It was a great day-and hopefully all is on track for GOTCHA DAY ON FRIDAY!

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

Gotcha day is THIS WEEK!! Wow!

You must have so much great stuff from Kaz by now. I'm envious! :-) And congratulations on the solo shopping! It always makes for great stories later even if nothing real exciting happened.

Will the passport picture taking event be Leeza's first time off the BH grounds? How exciting either way.

A passport picture means you're one step closer!

Joby and Marla said...

I enjoy reading your blog each day. I know you are ready to come home to Florida with Leeza but I am going to miss reading about your adventures. I know you are going to have lots of new adventures with Leeza in Florida but reading your blog is like watching the travel channel to learn about a new place.

I am kinda independent but I don't know about shopping by myself in Kaz. I guess you have been there so long you feel comfortable. The language is worrying me. I don't think I have learned enough & it is so hard to concentrate right now.

Thanks for all the great tips!!!!

marsrob said...

WOW. Friday!!!! I have to say that you are really selling your region to everyone. No one can believe how happy you are there! Awesome.

Kim said...

Wait wait wait, a snowsuit? What is the temperature there? :)

Karen said...

You have the best in-country team by far. I'm totally jealous. Even though our translator lived in Uralsk all her life she didn't have a clue where to take us unless we figured it out for her. That's why we were thrilled when we made friends with some of the locals.

Gotcha Day is around the corner. Woo-hoo.

Karen said...

You have the best in-country team by far. I'm totally jealous. Even though our translator lived in Uralsk all her life she didn't have a clue where to take us unless we figured it out for her. That's why we were thrilled when we made friends with some of the locals.

Gotcha Day is around the corner. Woo-hoo.

Sandi said...

So happy you went shopping solo. Your doing good my friend. Glad to hear you went to dinner sounds like fun.

Can't wait to hear how your adventure to the passport picture place goes.

It was fabulous to hear your voice this morning, you sound GREAT. So happy and at home.

Start playing Neil Diamond baby. Coming to America.. whoo hoo

See you soon,
Sandi

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Okay girlfriend, I'm back! Sorry for my slacker lack-of-comments, especially after your world-record comment on our blog (which made my day/week/month/year by the way). My mom was in town this weekend, so Glenn and I took advantage of the fact that she was there to see Max, and not us, so we went golfing, went out, went to the Bengals game, etc. No time for blogging. But, you know what?! It's no fun doing all of those things any more when I know my little Max is back at home!

As you know, we want to go back to Kaz (if they'll have us), and I must say, I want your A Team! Seriously, no one ever called us unless we owed them money or paperwork. I am so amazed at your experience. I want to go back just to buy more stuff! Please don't let Leeza tell Max about all of her life-long presents ... we'll be exposed for the unthoughtful parents that we are. HA!

"This week." Can you believe it?! It feels so amazing to type, "This week, your daughter will be with you." God is so good.

If you have a crib and a walker, you'll have half (or more) of the battle won. Max LOVED the crib in the hotel, and he seemed to take comfort in the familiarity. Once in Almaty, we had no crib, and there was little sleep for anyone. I agree with everyone else -- I really think Leeza will be so comforted by you, and I think she'll be wide-eyed and exploring, but not overly scared.

We fed Max baby food that we found easily at the store. We even found brands that had some English translation, and we just bought a few different jars and tried things out until we found something he liked. (He loved oatmeal in Kaz, and he still does). The walker may come in handy, too, as a high-chair of sorts ... at least she will have a place to sit while you feed her. We had to plop Max on the edge of the bed or on one of the two stools we had in the apartment, and hope that he didn't fall off between bites. LOL.

YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! We had so much fun just staring at Max, watching him exploring, and wondering what in the heck was going through his little mind.

The next chapter is about to begin.

Oh, and BTW, if your Ergo spokesperson job doesn't work out, you might want to look into being Kazakhstan's Minister of Tourism. Seriously, girl, you are the most positive Kaz blogger EVER! If non-PAPs are reading your blog, they may be looking into a vacation to Kaz, soon! :-)

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I can't believe Gotcha Day is almost here. I'm so excited for your family!!!! When does Joe return?

Kelly and Sne said...

Don't worry - you're in the final stretch and will be holding the sippy cup up to the FLA sunset soon enough! And after Friday you'll be so busy that you won't have time to think about it.

Good luck with the car trip to the photo session!

Chris & Christy said...

You ARE Miss Independent! :) Not only are you flying solo with Little Miss Leeza but you got some mad shopping done. Way to go! :)

Christy

Anonymous said...

What a great week! Leeza's digs must be bigger than Alexa's, because there is no way we could have walked for an hour. Maybe 20 minutes if I walked REALLY SLOWLY ;-)

I can't wait! And by the way, DH was AWESOME last night - did you catch it online????????
Shannon

Matthew Ruley said...

Wow - gotcha day this week. Get ready for your life to change!

So glad you are comfortable there enough to go out on your own.

Cant wait for you to be home already!

Suzette & Tate said...

I love that you update your blog almost everday. And that your so positive and upbeat.

I am so happy that you are almost able to take Leeza out of the Baby House and getting closer to being able to come home.

MM said...

Hey Chickpea! Wow ! You are so close! :) It is so funny to imagine a baby passport picture. I wonder if it will still be good for ten years like adults passports are. Good job shopping on your own. I think Leeza will love the things you have picked out from her birth land. But she will love the warm waters & weather of Florida! What a great time of year to be introduced to her new home. That was nice to buy extra paci's for the other kiddos so they aren't short. :) That is my thoughtful Chickpea! I miss you tons, especially at work. Are you SURE you don't want to go back to TD?? :) ha ha ha

love ya!

Sally said...

WOW! Impressive!! I'm so amazed and inspired by your ability to be in a foreign land and get out there exploring it!!! WAY TO GO!
I can't believe it...Friday is almost here! I can't wait to read all about it!!!! How exciting!!!
You are so incredibly thoughtful to buy pacis for all the kiddos. That sounds like something you would totally do!
LOVE YOUR HEART!

Angela said...

Friday is a BIG DAY!I know what you mean about the shopping. Every time we went shopping on our own we felt SO accomplished! Congratulations!

Jeannine said...

I am happy to know you are experiencing your journey to it's fullest. You go girl!!