Thursday, September 18, 2008

All by Myself!!!!



Joe and Sean took off today at 12:20 on their long way home....to Astana,London, Frankfurt (overnight stay), Chicago, and FINALLY, Tampa Bay! They get home at 10:45 east coast time on Friday night if all goes well.
Here they are at the airport with Eugene, our ever faithful coordinator, driver, translator..'Kaz man with the plan".





I was fine with them leaving, I knew that we are on the downhill of this incredible journey, and Joe will be back in 3 weeks or so. Tatiana and Ivan and Eugene take very good care of me, and I also have Kelly and Doug and Natasha (the other families here adoptiong) to hang out with! Of course, I still cried when they left. I'm such a GIRL!!!!

We FINALLY got together last night at Bavaria to celebrate our successful court day. We had a wonderful time. Sean was anxious to meet "Lil Man's" adoptive mom. He is one of Sean's favorites in the group and he gave Natasha the thumbs up since he found out how nice she is. Ivan and Tatiana came too...I LOVE THEM!
This picture is kind of dark, but it's all I got.




They brew their own beer at Bavaria, and the dark beer is very good. We also had this string cheese that is good with beer. It was really good and kind of addictive. It's salty though so you drink more beer. I had a headache this morning plus a good case of cotton mouth! Nothing that a big glass of water and some ibuprofin can't cure!!!

It was a good visit with OUR DAUGHTER THIS MORNING! Man, does that ever feel wonderful to say!!!
It's kinda cool the way we have divided our visits. The first 3 weeks, it was Joe, Susan, and Sean with Leeza. Then, the second 3 weeks, Joe left, so it was Sean and Susan with Leeza. Now, for the next 3 weeks, it will be just Leeza and MOM! I'm still learning so much about her. I'm finding that she has a very long attention span. We played with the stacking cups for an hour or so today. I had no idea that stacking cups could be so fun. I just got them cuz everyone says YOU HAVE TO HAVE STACKING CUPS. I thought they'd be boring, but I bought them because EVERYONE said and I have pages and pages of tips that I copied from my fellow adoptive parents blogs and they ALL said stacking cups. All that blog stalking is TOTALLY worth it. Even though everyone's journey is so different, I found reading everyone's stories incredibly valueable. Plus, for such a long wait, reading about other people's journey's keeps your hope alive that YES, it WILL happen for you too! Always the "overdoer", I got 2 kinds of stacking cups, but Leeza loves them both.







Since we finally got to get to know Natasha, and Kelly and Doug, we shared the last 30 minutes of our playtime with Natasha and her son she's adopting. It was so fun! Leeza LOVED his big lego's and he loved her stacking cups and her ball. I am having the pack mule go get some big chunky lego's for the plane ride. It will keep her busy on the plane, and something NEW from the cups.

Eugene and I had a tasty lunch at the Russian bar where I had my favorite salad..cucumbers and tomatoes with olive oil, and solyanka, my favorite soup. It has potatoes, and mushrooms, and some meat..maybe ham, salami? I don't know...but it's so good, and a molochiny cocktail(a milkshake). We had a great chat, he is such a nice guy. Once again, I am so incredible thankful for such a wonderful in country team. They have become such good friends. I am already getting sad thinking about leaving-I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. It's so nice to be treated as a FRIEND, and that is how they treat us. Tatiana just called me an hour ago to make sure I wasn't lonely. Eugene kept asking if i was SURE I didn't want to go out and do something tonight! We left the house at 10:30 this morning and I didn't get home until 6. I am on my 2nd cup of Kazahstani cherry tea, playing my itunes, and emailing friends. It WAS very quiet here without Sean, so I am grateful for the hours I spent downloading cd's into my itunes library. I also have seasons 1-5 of West Wing to watch, but I've been busy.

What happens now:

There is a 15 day waiting period that starts the day after court. It starts today! On the 16th day, LEEZA GRACE SERRA is legally ours. I am hoping that she can then come home to the apartment with me. That is what typically happens, but Dr. Irina didn't like parents to take the kids until a week later when they were ready to leave for Almaty, but Dr. Irina is gone!
October 3rd is our GOTCHA day, the day that we spring Leeza from the baby house, the day that the court decision is FINAL and she is legally our daughter. This is a day we will celebrate every year, the day we became a forever family. I am buying souvenirs for Leeza from Kazakhstan to give to her on her gotcha days.
Once she is legally our daughter, we can apply for her passport. That takes 7 or 8 days (or maybe longer). Once we get her passport, we can apply for her visa. Visa's are only processed one day a week, or something like that. Joe is planning on coming before we leave for Almaty, so probably in about 3 weeks.
Once we have her passport and her visa, then we can proceed to Almaty, a 4 hour plane ride for our exit interview at the embassy.
I am guestimating that we will be home sometime the week of October 22nd.
As soon as the plane lands in the USA Leeza becomes a dual citizen of the United States and Kazakhstan. We are going to readopt her in the US though so she can have a US birth certificate too.
I hope we can get in early enough so Sean can come to the airport. He has all kinds of fun ideas on how to greet us at the aiport.

I am not going to promise to blog everyday during the waiting period. I might, but I might not. I think I've been pretty good not missing a day since August 1st!

Once we are home, I will do one final "wrap it up" post, then I will start a new blog on Life with Leeza and Sean. It's such a wonderful way to document their lives. I did not do a good job at writing down all the cute things Sean did as a baby. You think you will remember,but you don't. A blog is such a wonderful way to do that!

I'd like to truly thank EVERYONE who has followed along on this most incredible journey with us to Leeza Grace. I cannot express how much your support and love means to us. I feel so very blessed!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! The Serra family loves you!!!

19 comments:

Karen said...

I got into work this morning and followed my usual routine: boot up the computer, go to my bookmarks, clink on your url and lo and behold—no new post!!!! I thought to myself, this can't be. Where's Susan? Is she still in bed pining over her two favorite men leaving??? Well, thank goodness you didn't disappoint. Here you are day 100 (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit) and you're still batting 500. Yes, you are the queen of queens—blogging every day since August 1st. Long may you reign.

Love ya,
K

demarest6 said...

You are such an awesome person!! I must say that now is when you need to blog, you have a VERY supportive group of bloggers that will keep you company. For me, knowing a comment from you is waiting for me while I'm in NY is a HUGE blessing. I can only speak for myself when I say being a part of your journey has been a blessing ..Mary, John, Lina, Hannah and I sang praises to Jesus at dinner last night for your court date. Love you!xoxoxo

BabyKazfan said...

All by myself, don't want to be, all by myself,yeah- i'm going to have that song stuck in my head now.

Hi! Sounds good! The home stretch. I bet you have a great time with a little you time. I know you are probably very popular in Kaz-just like you were in Rochester. Ha! Just keep your hands to yourself when you are in someone else's car please!

Give Leeza a kiss from me.

Love,

Stacey

The Cook said...

Oh please keep blogging, I read it every day. your DAUGHTER is gorgeous.

Patrick & Eileen said...

While Joe and Sean are gone I think time will go by quickly. You sure do keep busy....and there are people there that you can do things with. I hope that I am as lucky as you when Pat has to leave me.

Oh, I hope you continue to blog daily :) Selfish I know but it's just fun to check in on you.

Loved the pics!

Take care - thinking of you,
Eileen

Alysa said...

Love the pictures! That last one looks like it should be a magazine ad -- such a doll!

Sorry you are without our men, but you are right, you are well taken care of and will have lots to do!

Although it is fun to check in on the Serras everyday, I know how much time it takes to post something new everyday! It's work! So, if every other day it is, then we will survive. Just barely. ;)

October 3rd is the day I return to Aqtobe and sign all the papers making my little guy legally mine! I really want to sleep for at least one day after the 30 hours of flying before I fetch him out of the babyhouse though, so our actual Gotcha Day may be a couple of days later.

Can't wait to see you in Almaty! We are gonna be there at the same time, I'm thinkin'. Yahoo!!!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Phew, I was getting worried when I didn't see a post this morning. I thought maybe you were huddled in a closet with a bunch of warm beer and your Ipod! :-)

Hooray, the next chapter is underway. The end of the fairy tale is near. We can so easily fast forward, and we hope it will indeed go fast for all of you.

Leeza is blossoming by the minute. That little hat is so adorable.

West Wing -- that could be fun! Just like being at home, watching a nice 1 hour drama each eve.

Not blog?! Yeah, right. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the court date went ok! That cracks me up that you brought the West Wing with you. I did love that show. You are on the downhill slide now, and almost home. Leeza looks so great. I think you can see how much she has blossomed in the past several weeks. Soon, all the Serras will be together doing every day stuff back home in Florida!! It has been fun to follow your blog, for sure. Can't wait to see what life at home brings!

Heidi

BabyKazfan said...

tell sean for me to go to gibbler-hitmanblog spot.com
password slaer427

Matthew Ruley said...

So glad to hear everything went well in court and that there was no delay on the boys coming back to town. Be safe, my friend.

Jill said...

Woo Hoo!! How are you holding up?? Sounds like you are doing great.. Hope the boy's travels are smooth so far. You and the boys continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Thanks for all or your "blogging" with the adventure. Fun and amazing to follow. You had to be one to keep a good diary growing up!?......
Won't be long now before Leeza can grow up not knowing what a winter coat is (unless she visits family in Texas, etc. :-))

Monica said...

SO happy for all of you. Hang in there. I do think you are going to be lonely in these next few weeks but it's all worth it because you are certainly on your way HOME with Miss Leeza!
:)
Monica

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Leeza is just SO adorable. Although it's disappointing to have the boys gone, it will be nice to have some girl bonding time.

It is amazing how popular those stacking cups are, isn't it?!?

Take care,
KJ and the crew

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new baby daughter!!! I'm sorry you'll have to spend the next 3 weeks by yourself. Just keep visualizing...football and soup...football and soup.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I love the little chef's hat! Too cute. When I was flying solo in Kaz, I found our visits to be much more exhausting, but so so wonderful. It is great to have all of that one on one time and I bet you'll see a really smooth transition when you spring her free. Leeza is absolutely beautiful! She was beautiful in those very first pictures, but you can tell she has a spark that wasn't showing so clearly at the beginning. She knows she's in the home stretch, too!
Take care, and enjoy your "Me" time, too. It will be a long time before you have another 3 weeks of evenings to yourself. Enjoy it! I was big into bottles of wine and long baths during my solo stint:-)

BabyKazfan said...

You and your family are inspiring. Looking forward to seeing our girl's playing together back in FL. C Mejia

Anonymous said...

Your posts are awesome, Susan! It has been so amazing to read about your great adventure. I am so so so so happy and excited to meet this precious girl! XOXO

Jennifer said...

Oh what a wonderful post. I'm all misty eyed. Especially since you ended it with an absolutely breathtaking photo of your daughter Leeza.

I'm glad you will continue blogging as I am very much wanting to watch her hair grow long, and for her big, blue eyes to reflect the FL blue sky.

I'm glad you're doing all right without your guys. I would cry too!

You are such an amazing inspiration to so many people. I just can't tell you how much I adore your positivity, your outlook, and your spirit!

Jennifer said...

P.S. You should write an ode to stacking cups. It would be a best seller among PAPs and APs.