Friday, October 17, 2008

Toto-we're not in Kansas ANYMORE!

I feel a lot like Dorothy when the twister landed her house in Munchkinland and she walked out with Toto and said “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.” When we walked outside of the airport and got into this crazy rush hour traffic, I looked at Leeza and said "Leeza, I don't think we're in Kosantai any more!"

Yup, by the hair of our “chiny chin chin’s” we are IN ALMATY and arrive Wednesday evening right at rush hour traffic time. Our flight landed at 5:20! We had a lil last minute “drama” Tuesday night. Tatiana and Eugene came over at 8, with Tatiana bringing all Leeza’s translated documents for the embassy. We hung out, while Eugene took Joe and most of our luggage to the airport, since it was too much for Tatiana’s small car. Thank goodness for small towns and Eugene’s contacts, so we could store our luggage in someone’s office overnight. My dream team left at about 10:30 Tuesday night. Joe got online to check our reservations on Air Astana, only to discover that MY RESERVATION WAS CANCELLED!!! We had them booked, and we just used my Dad’s travel agent to book them since my dad was generous enough to donate his miles for our use from Frankfurt to Tampa. Joe just let Cindy book our entire flight home, including the Air Astana legs. However, Cindy was unable to get the rates that Eldo with Golden Rule Travel gets, because of the discounts they receive for missionary rates and adoptions. It would save us about $1000 to have Eldo book our flights. SO, Eldo cancelled my seat, but it would not let him REBOOK our seats because apparently the flight was full. We called Eldo, and he said he would try to see what he could do, but the best option was to go the airport and beg. GREAT! This was great news to try to go to sleep on, since the next available flight to Almaty wasn’t until Friday.

I called Eugene and he knows everyone (of course) because he is THE MAN with the PLAN and has lived here forever. He told us he’d call his contact at Air Astana and give us a call by 9:30 the next morning. We were told to be at the airport no later than 11 and to ask for “Aman”. Needless to say, we were rushing around Wednesday morning and I was praying an awful lot. In our rush packing ALL OUR STUFF, we had to leave behind our toy bag plus several toys (but that’s ok, it will all go back to the baby house and be put to great use!!) and we decided to forget Leeza’s potty, figuring we could just buy one in Almaty.

So, we arrived at the airport, and after MUCH drama, and talking in Russian, and a small fortune in overweight charges, WE GOT OUR TICKETS! It’s a really good thing we had them check too, because Eldo had booked a “paper ticket” from us to Astana to Almaty which would have caused major issues when we got to Astana. After a tearful good bye to Tatiana, we were on the flight to Astana. As we were leaving Kostanai, and Joe said, “Paca Paca Kostanai” I just started bawling! I couldn’t help it, tears were just streaming down my face, but Leeza wiped them off for me. :) Leeza was a squirmy worm and was intent on throwing everything on the ground. That was fun.  She shared our lunch on the plane and ate some chicken and some bread, and screamed bloody murder when we started to land, because of the pressure on her ears. I felt so bad for her!

We had a short layover in Astana, and Leeza fell asleep immediately upon take off and slept the entire flight, so no ear problems there. She woke up upon landing and was happy as a clam. She has been wonderful and happy, and the sleeping arrangements are working out.
She sleeps in the middle, between us. The first night, she was confused, and thought it was “playtime” because we played on the bed in Kostanai. I lay there with her until she falls asleep so she won’t wonder of the bed, and it took about 30 minutes on the first night. She woke up at 3:30 am and thought it was playtime again. She pulled Joe’s hair, grabbed my nose, etc. I kept saying in my “sternest mom voice” LEEZA SPOT. Finally, she went back to sleep. We have a nice apartment, but the heat is not on and it’s freezing in here…way colder than outside. It was 64 degrees last night..BRRRRR!! I have to say, I miss my “hot” apartment in Kostanai.

It's my potty and I'll cry if I can't have it...

Our BIGGEST mistake was leaving her potty in Kostanai. It turns out, Leeza IS potty trained because she won’t POOP without her potty. Just like in Goldilocks in the 3 Bears, I tried to put her in the big potty and hold her, but it was WAY TOO BIG and SCARY and she screamed bloody murder. Then I tried to use a pot from the kitchen, but that wasn’t the right shape either and Leeza screamed harder. I knew I needed to find her own potty that was JUST RIGHT! We got directions from Inabot (our in country coordinator) to the mall and the Ramstor close by. The mall is impressive-it even has an ice skating rink ,an American style food court, and even Baskin Robbins! No one had a potty for Leeza. They did have a doll who came with her own Baby Bjorn potty, but not a potty big enough for Leeza.

The kindness of strangers

We were in the Ramstor(way cool grocery store that has everything!!) trying to figure out how to get a cart (they charge 50 tenge for a shopping cart..CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!) when 2 women approached us. They heard us speaking English. A wonderful woman named Christine from Australia and her translator, Valeria, asked around for us about where to get a potty for Leeza, and Valeria chased down a woman in the aisle with a baby. They told us we could get a potty at “Mothercare”. Valeria offered to take us there. I am so amazed and blessed by the kindness of strangers. We walked a ways then were going to take a cab, but she said they were too expensive. We walked some more and she flagged down this dude at a stoplight and he agreed to take us for 300 tenge. Well, we got her a potty-for 2700 tenge….which is 3 times more expensive then the potty we left in Kostanai that we purchased for 700 tenge. Oh WELL! It was worth it cuz my girl Leeza needed to “empty her spam folder('Kelly and Doug-that was for you!!!). We were so happy to get home with our potty and Leeza quickly did her business and can now eat again. YAY!

We took the bus home, with Valeria's help, and all was well. Almaty is a beautiful city, and the mountains are right behind us. It’s been gorgeous weather, and we enjoyed walking around. The traffic is brutal though, and I have to say, I do miss Kostanai. Tatiana has texted us several times and called twice to check on us. She is such a doll!

Medical appoitment-CHECK!

Inabot picked us up this morning at 9 for our SOS Medical appointment. Leeza yelled bloody murder, even though all they do is look at your ears, your nose, your throat, weigh you, get your height, and listen to your chest. The doctor laughed and said “She cries with no tears”. I said, oh yes, Leeza is our drama queen. I got to see what a dirty look from Leeza looks like too…she gave that doctor a “Leeza evil eye.” It was really funny-the doctor said, “She is angry with me.!” I was sure Leeza had gained weight, but she is still 18 lbs, or 8.9 kilo’s. We are fixin to go walk to the mall and have lunch. Leeza has been having a blast. It took her 3 minutes to fall asleep last night and she slept until 8. She cries when it’s time to get out of the bathtub now….she loves the tub and the water is clear here! BONUS!

Tomorrow, we are being picked up at 9:30 to go see the top of Kok Tobe and to go the Tsum, some big souvenir store. That is right close to where Alysa and her son Brady are staying, so the plan is to meet them there and have lunch at Mama Mia’s.

Our embassy interview is Monday at 3 pm, and we fly out at 3:20 am that same night, or Tuesday morning.

We have our nursat dial up card, so I’ll try to get some pictures for you.

However, rest assured, we are here, we are happy, and Leeza has been really amazing. She is such a happy girl. Her cold is also gone-no more runny nose! YAY!

Dasvidanya!!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear from you guys! I kept checking all the time, having "Our Adventures" withdrawal. :-)

Sounds like some nice drama trying to get to Almaty. Wow. I wouldn't have slept well either.

You know what Susan- I love you! :-) I thought I was the only person in the world who missed our original city more than we were happy to be in Almaty. (I hope that makes sense.) Almaty certainly has it's charms, and it's a beautiful city with lots of cool things to see and do so I'm not discounting it any way, but once there, boy did I miss Petro. I missed our apartment, the DSL (ha, ha), the air conditioner (opposite of your needs, but similar nonetheless), the people, the familiarity... just "home" I guess.

Anyway! I'm so glad all is well with you guys. I envy your trip to Kok Tobe with Alysa. It's so awesome to have good people to hang out with.

Leeza's potty is funny in a not funny way. Poor sweetie! But at least you know for sure THAT GIRL NEEDS A POTTY! :-)

I forgot about the Ramstore rent-a-cart. LOL! They have some great pastries and food in the back corner if you're looking for cooked food (opposite corner of the shopping carts). We got take out from there several times.

All right, I'm rambling. I missed you and your updates! :-)

BabyKazfan said...

I am so glad to finally hear from you!!! How exciting ... 4 more days til we pick you up! Jill and I can't wait. Love - VA

Alysa said...

So happy that things are settling down since to big move. Only a few more days and you're headed home!

I found out today I'm here at least another week, possibly a few days longer. :(

Can't wait to meet you guys tomorrow!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Yes! You are able to post! I am soooooooooo excited. Where are you staying? What is it next to? I like you, yearned for our apt in our original city. You will like the tsum, it has good shopping. So, Inabot couldn't find you a potty? Go figure. Nuff said. :0 I am glad you are almost home!!!!! You are on the home strech, can you believe!! ? I feel like you've been gone forever!! I guess that's how other's felt about us. Take Care and shop alot! Gena

BabyKazfan said...

oy vey! sounds like quite the adventure-

I hope that the rest of the trip goes smoothly!

Love,

Stacey

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm glad that all the confusion over tickets, etc. was resolved and that you arrived safely!

Almaty is definitely different than Kostanai, but the clear water sure is a nice change. I hope you have fun there!

Jeannine said...

So the adventure continues.... Glad to hear everything worked out well. The people you have met are true blessings.

You'll be home soon. Yay!!!

Praying and thinking of you.

Karen said...

Great to read your update—I was so needing a Leeza fix. I have to run, leaving for Atlanta to meet Garrett's little baby house buddies, Charlie and Jonathan. Can't wait for it to happen!!!!!

Tricia said...

Isn't that Mothercare store the best? I was so happy to find that when I needed things there. I wish we had seen the big mall and souvenier store. I didn't know that we were so close. They sound cool. How nice that you are meeting up with people there. That is amazing that Leeza is potty trained. I am telling you that she really motivated me to work on it with R and he is doing so well with "emptying the spam folder" :) But, Wow, three times the cost for potty and apartment there. Oye. Can't wait to hear what you think of Kok Tobe!