Saturday, October 18, 2008

Out and About in the big city of Almaty!



Daddy and Leeza on the slide outside our apartment building waiting for Inabot and the driver to come get us to take us to Kok Tobe...

We are having a good time in Almaty, I have to admit. Joe likes it a lot-he thinks there is way more to do than in Kostanai. However, my heart is in Kostanai, because that is where my beautiful daughter was born, and that is where I was made to feel like I was part of a family. :)
Joe's fav city is New York city, so I can see why he likes it so much.
Don't get me wrong, I like it too. We are having a good time, getting our bearings, but to me, "home sweet home" when it comes to Kazakhstan is Leeza's birthplace...the quaint town of Kostanai!

Leeza and Daddy "bonding" this morning



Inabot was going to pick us up at 9 today to take us to Kok Tobe, but she had to be at the baby house earlier (there are 2 other families in town) so she said she'd call us around 1. We headed outside around 1, and it was such a gorgeous day we just stayed outside even when she called us at 1:15 and said they were delayed. Leeza stayed in the ergo from 1 pm until 6 pm...I was really proud of her!

On top of Kok Tobe...all covered with cheese...


We really did enjoy Kok Tobe! It was pretty-and we were suprised how much smog there is in Almaty! I head heard it was polluted, but didn't really see it until we were up high! We had a good lunch, (for 6500 tenge!! jeez!!) and Leeza LOVED eating my french fries and my chicken shashlik. We ordered crepes for her, but she didn't like those (of course!)




Of course, had to get the "obligatory" picture with the Beatles since everyone else does...





Roasting a pig on the spit...head and all. GROSS!


Joe studying his Almaty map while we wait for our most expensive meal in Kazakhstan..




Going back down the mountain...



The Gondala car that takes you up and down for only 800 tenge each way!


Leeza enjoying Mommy's french fries....




Shopping at the world's largest souvenir store..and meeting Alysa and Brady! YAY!!

After Kok Tobe, we had our driver take us to the Tsum, the hugest mall and hugest souvenir shop I have EVER seen in my entire life. It was rather overwhelming. I did NOT buy the whole malll, but we did get few neat things as gifts, and Leeza got an adorable vest and some lil slippers. :) I could have spent much longer there, but Joe was getting impatient.

We met our blogger friends though-so exciting! Alysa, and her MOST ADORABLE SON ever , Braden Kyler, met us in front of Baskin Robbins and they went shopping with us. In fact, tomorrow, her driver is taking us to Medeu, where they have another big @$$ mountain and some skating rink that is huger than a football field! COOL! We are meeting them at the Ramstore, which is about a 10 minute walk from our apartment. I am excited!
It was great meeting Alysa-she is as sweet as I knew she'd be. We have been following each other's blogs for awhile now...so it was nice to meet "in real life"!!!




Now, here are just some cute pics of my girl, Leeza, happy and smiley playing in our Almaty apartment. We really do like it, it's so convenient, AND the landlord just brought a heater so it won't be 64 degrees anymore...cuz I was freezin!!






Leeza has been a real trooper. Once we got the potty, life was really good. She has a really fun lil personality. We are really enjoying her, but we really miss her brother. I cannot wait for Leeza and Sean to be reunited! :) I have NEVER gone this long without seeing my son either. I really miss him, but I am so very proud of him for acting so grown up and mature since I've been in Kaz and he's been home. He will always be my "baby" but I sure can't wait to hug him!

Leeza says...YOU TALKIN TO ME??

7 comments:

Alysa said...

Leeza is so cute in her white "snowball" hat on the slide! She's just plain cute anyway, and for the record, no picture does those killer blue eyes justice! So very precious!

It was great to meet you today and can't wait for adventure into the mountains tomorrow!

Sally said...

Loved her camo and pink outfit! Too cute. By the way, you looked good!!! Can't tell you haven't been working out! Maybe it's a new diet...being the mom of a one year old! Glad you all are having a great time in Almaty. I'm also glad you are still able to post...love following along on your adventures.
love you girlie!!
sal

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

So cool!! Pics and all :) Go you! Ahh waiting on Inabot.. humm..still sounds like you are having fun! Who is the driver? Nicholi? Medue or however you spell it is pretty cool. We got to go there for about 30 min one day but it was still neat. So happy for you to meet Alyssa and Braden.. how neat is that?!! and the camo outfit... is ROCKING !! by the way. Over all though I gotta love the Kaz kid on the Kaz (old metal) slide! Wheeee!!

Take Care, Gena, Jaimie and Berik

Jeannine said...

Ok, so how many Tenge are in a dollar? Should have asked earlier, huh? Love the pictures! Getting ready to watch the Rays game. GO RAYS!!

Jennifer said...

Wow, what a busy day. And PICTURES! Yay for pictures. :-)

It's so cool to see the 4 of you together after so long.

Leeza is simply adorable. Just a gorgeous little girl. And yay to both of you for staying in the Ergo for so long!

Kelly and Sne said...

Glad you're having a good time in Almaty. Leeza is adorable - I just love the photo of her eating the french fry. I love how kids stick their tongues out when tasting stuff like that.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I love the first picture of Leeza on the slide. She looks so cute in her little hat!

Glad you're having fun in Almaty!