Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Home is where the Heart is!!



It's 6:02 am on Wednesday morning. My daughter is on the floor playing with her brother, I am drinking my coffee, and Joe is reading the paper. Somebody PINCH ME, for real, we are BACK!!
Leeza was really amazing on the flight. I was a lil worried, as Monday night, I put Leeza to bed at 9 pm and she woke up at 10. She never went back to bed. Kids know when something "big" is up. Inabot came to get us at 1 am and by 3:00 am, Leeza was overtired. She started SCREAMING in the airport waiting area, as in, SCREAMING like when I had to put her snowsuit on her. YIKES! Everyone was giving me the hairy eyeball. I was thinking to myself...Please help me thru this next 32 hours, please, please please...

However, she took a lil nap on the plane, FINALLY, and when she woke up, she woke up a "seasoned world traveler" because she was incredible! The 3200 tenge "potty" worked like a charm..she went in it in the airport, and even on the plane. No poopy diapers for us the whole trip. She went thru 3 diapers (barely wet) for the 32 hour trip home. Not bad lil Leeza, NOT BAD my friend!!!







She was happy, engaging, flirting with everyone near her on the plane. It was so weird, for years now I'm the one staring and cooing at babies. However, a strange turn of events have occurred. I am the one that the people are starting at, staring and cooing at MY baby. How cool is that? At first, I was wondering, why are these people staring at us? Then I realized they speak English and are talking about how cute our daughter is. It's totally surreal!!

Leeza in Frankfurt, where we spent , oh, a 9 hour layover...






It SURE is a LONG way home-wow. I totally commened Joe 1 million times over for making three tips while I got to stay in Kostanai and have the time of my life.
I was SO tired at one point on the flight from Frankfurt to Chicago (the long 9 hour one) that I seriously felt like I was going to throw up I was so tired. Leeza, however, was ready to party. She kept flirting with the lady behind us, and this guy catty-corner from us. She was actually being incredibly cute, blowing kisses, clapping her hands, but I was so tired I couldn't even see straight. I finally put her in the ergo where I knew she'd be safe and passed out. I know she was banging her head into my head, squeezing my nose, and doing all kind of stuff to me, but I didn't care, I needed sleep and I needed it bad. :) Another praise for that ergo...I love that thing!!! It was great for hauling her all over here and half way accross the world and in the the world's airports (well, Astana, Almaty, Franfurt, Chicago,and Tampa, at least!)




Leeza finally asleep in the middle seat between us...she sure loves that elephant. It was worth sleeping with it for months-now it has blueberry yogurt love all over it too..




In fact, my eyes are stinging right now, but Joe said they will for awhile. I think I have slept maybe 8 hours in the past 48. :) I got Leeza to bed at 1 pm after we got home, and had potty, bathtime, and cookies and milk. She woke up wide eyed and bushy tailed at 5. The whole fam is now up!



We had a grand welcome at the airport. I did not cry, but I think it was because I was too seriously delirious. It was so wonderful to see Sean and get a hug from him first thing. We had friends there with posters, and Sean's 4th grade teacher, Ms. Smith, even made the coolest poster with the letter from Leeza's name. Karen, Mom to Ryan, one of Leeza's future husband contenders, was there with her camera, so I will have photo's to update later. It was wonderful and wonderfully surreal.
A big thank you to Patti and Matt, Jill, Virginia, Laura, Mrs. Smith,Karen (aka professional photographer!) and Lisa for coming to welcome us, so late on a school/work night.

In the car, my best friends Jill and Virgina had a cold Landshark for me and Leeza's car seat installed and ready for her. I wasn't sure how Leeza would like the car seat, but she LOVED it. She looked like a princess upon her throne. :) I love the carseat-it's pink with brown polka dots.

Anyway, we got home and my wonderful friends and family had stocked our fridge. We have homemade chicken noodle soup from Nana, a casserole from Joe's cousin, the Kamp's, "Yo baby" yogurt (I have been wanting to buy that for so long now!!), apples, grapes, cheerios, everything we need.

My friend Lisa gave Leeza this huge crib set up thing that has room for like 4 dolls donated from her daughter Kali who is now 9. It was so sweet.

I am happy to be home, but home is truly where the heart is. I really understand what that means now. My home was in Kostanai Kazakhstan for over 10 weeks and I loved it there. I already miss "my dream team" but I have already emailed them as I do think Tatiana and Ivan will be visitors this summer.

I will be starting a new blog for Leeza and Sean, because I love how these blogs capture the feelings, emotions, pictures of real time events. Joe said, "isn't that what a baby book is for", but Sean's baby book is rather empty. I always figured I'd "remember" the cute things he did, and the sad thing is , you don't!

I am so happy to be home, and Leeza is tooling around in her walker we got in Kostanai marveling in ALL THIS SPACE she has to roam.

Sean is entertaining her and is saying that MY BLOG IS TAKING ME TOO LONG! ha!! She is on her potty for the 2nd time this morning. GOD LOVE THE POTTY!

40 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hey Susan......WOW....you're home now!! I'm so proud of you. You traveled a great distance home and did it beautifully. I can only imagine that when it comes time for me to do the same thing that I can do it just as well.

I wish I could be on the computer a bit more to check blogs and write. But it wouldn't be fair to Pat. He has is *computer games* he loves to play :)

I'm going to check in now on other things that I missed on your blog. Alysa told me to check out the potty you bought....we're going to need to buy one too. How did you manage to bring all this and the walker home too? You're a trooper.

We're nervous about court!! I hope that things work out even though it says in our paperwork that Pat is deploying and I'll be a single parent for a year (no thanks to our social worker). Please keep good thoughts that they won't hold this against us.

I look forward to seeing the new blog that you're going to set up for your children. I think that's wonderful.

Well I must go. So glad to hear that you arrived safe and the family is together at HOME!

xxoo
Eileen

BabyKazfan said...

Welcome home cuz!! We're so excited!! The casserole has all of Leeza's favorites in it...Hey Sean, call us when you're ready for us to come and see your new sister...

Sandi said...

Welcome home, I am over the moon that you are home, maybe because now I get to see you after an eternity and finally meet Leeza. Life is grand and God is Good. I am so happy your travels were uneventful and that Leeza was a good girl.

You will feel completely out of it the next week and you will slowly come out of the comatose state. I'm sad i could not make your welcome home but it was a little late for me to drive home :-(

Thrilled that your back and when your ready, I'm ready to catch up and meet the famous Leeza.

hugs to all of you,
sandi

Julian and Sara said...

Welcome home!!!!!! You did it! Now the real adventure begins. :)

Your blog(s) can easily substitute for a baby book - and can also be printed to become a real baby book if you so choose. Can't wait to ses how you all settle in and begin enjoying life at home in Florida.

Speaking of Florida, Zoe (and parents) will be in the Orlando area in early December visiting her grandparents. Perhaps Leeza might be up for a playdate???

Sara

Alysa said...

Congrats to the newest US citizen! And congrats to the Serra family reunited at HOME!!! Woo-hoo!!

Sounds like the flights went really well. Gives me hope, although after less than an hour in the stroller two days running, Brady starts squalling.

Just how did you snag those recliner seats at the airport? Not once, in the 5 times I've been past them so far, have I seen even one empty!!

I bet it feels so good to be at home again and especially with your daughter. I can't wait to follow your new blog with the antics of Sean and Leeza!

xoxo,
Alysa and Brady

Kristen (and Cary) said...

WOW. I am so excited that you are home. I'm so glad she was a good traveler. I know it is such a relief to have your family home.

I laughed at the image of your finally falling asleep.

Tell Sean we need a post!!!

Monica said...

WooHoo!!!! So WONDERFUL to hear your princess did well traveling... and now you're all HOME! I love it! Enjoy. Thx for sharing your journey with us all. Yours was the FIRST adoption blog I ever stumbled upon (over a year ago) and it was a great pleasure to be able to follow along with you to this point.
CONGRATS!!!
:)
Monica

marsrob said...

WOOHOOOOOOOOO WELCOME HOME!!! That potty thing is UNREAL. SOOOOO COOLL!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Seriiously, so glad you are home safe and sound! xooxox

Aaron and Julie said...

Welcome home!!!!!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

What else can we say - we are thrilled for you all.

Leeza is clearly a supreme being. The onus is now upon you to 'keep up'. For Leeza to have such a cool brother to look up to and learn from and eventually share so much with is a wonderful thing. The world needs good siblings as much as it needs good parents. Fortunately Leeza got both when she chose to be a Serra. Many hugs to you all. Take Care.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Welcome home!!! It is close call which are my favorite posts from people in the Kaz journey between the day they meet their child and the day they finally come home. So happy for you that you are home.

I can't believe you didn't cry. I still cry thinking about coming home.

Glad Leeza was a trooper on the way home. That layover must have been a real "treat!"
Welcome home!
Lots of XOXO
Sara, Adam, and Rylie

Diana said...

So glad to see that you are home and that Leeza was a real trooper. You did it girlfriend! Nearly a quarter of the year in the wonderful land of Kaz. Then homeward bound with your beautiful precious gift.

Tricia said...

Welcome home! Now get some rest as much as you can. You are going to need it :) Glad Leeza did so well on the way home.
I knew that ergo would work its charms. This is the completion to your delay is not denial! Pinch, pinch!

Stacy said...

Welcome Home!! i teared up reading your post this morning!. It is so very surreal, and now you are experiencing that feeling our the other side with us adoptive families. You are not just a PAP anymore! She is beautiful and I am glad you are home safe!!

Gretchen said...

Yea Serra family!!!! So glad you made it home in one piece. :) Sounds like your trip wasn't too bad. I am so overjoyed for you. Congratulations!!!!!

Joby and Marla said...

I am so glad that you have made it home with the new princess:)

Thanks for letting me share in your Kaz adventure. It really helped me make it thru the waiting period!!!!

Hugs & Kisses
Marla

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME!!! Glad you made it home safe and sound. I wanted to be at the airport, but it was too late for Madeline. Enjoy home sweet home with your family.

Blessings,
Jeannine

Thad and Ann said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you made it home safe & sound. Sounds like Leeza is doing great at home already. :)

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Welcome home!! As I was tidying up last night before bed, it hit me that you should be landing just about then. I had the most amazing happy feeling come over my entire body, and I knew that you'd finally made it home with your daughter. We are so thrilled that you made it through the trip, including that long layover. Leeza sure looks happy in Frankfurt! That must be one magic potty! (You'll have to have it bronzed and turn it into a planter or something). We are just so happy that you are all reunited once again.

Congratulations, Serra family. Let the next chapter begin!

Love,

Karen, Glenn, and Max.

Trudi said...

WELCOME HOME! The magic of your entire experience just continued right back to Tampa. When it's right, it's RIGHT! And this one is a bullseye. I hope your adjustment continues to be just as magical as your journey.

kitzkazventure said...

What a journey and now you are home sweet home! So happy for you all! I am sure Sean is thrilled to have his family home. Looking forward to checking in on the Serra family as you get a chance to post in the future! And maybe we will all get together at Kazapalooza! Hugs to all of you especially the amazing Leeza Grace! ky karen

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Well finally, I've gotten my blog fix!!!!! You are most certainly better than me as I think it took me nearly a week before I blogged after I got home. Oh home girl sounds like she was a real trooper!! She looks so happy and I am sure her new adventures will bring her much happiness!! I can't wait for the new blog to start as it will be fun to watch and see what she and Sean are up to. You take care and get some sleep. We are truly happy - elated for you'll!! Gena, Jaimie and Berik

Jennifer said...

Soooo happy you are home! Many congratulations!

The cooler part made me laugh!

I have to admit, it's weird hearing from the Tampa Susan. I am so used to thinking of you as permanently in Kostanai.

You know what I was recently thinking? Even though your journey was WAY cooler, we've both been on journies for the past 3 months. You left in August. I left my house in August. You stayed in a foreign place for 3 months, I stayed... well... in a different place for 3 months. You arrived home this week. I am arriving home (psuedo home) this week. Again, your journey is way more interesting with awesome results, but I thought the parallel was kinda neat!

So glad you guys are home safe and sound! With the Ergo. Can you see why we bought 2?!! :-)

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Welcome home!! I am glad Leeza did well on the flights. That's amazing she went through so few diapers!! With all the diaper savings, you can buy Leeza more clothes 'cause she just doesn't have enough!

Can you believe that we met Roxana one year ago today? Time flies!

Sarah and Andy said...

Welcome Leeza! We are so happy for all of you. Enjoy the days as they fly by. It's amazing how much quicker time flies once you get home than it did (for us anyway) in Kaz. Congratulations and so glad you all can be home as a family now.

BabyKazfan said...

Welcome home!

Can't wait to catch up!

Love,

Stacey, Jan, Jan Jr. and Will

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and welcome home!! What else to say? Best, best wishes to you all....How great is it to sleep in your own bed AND have your family under one roof?

Keep in touch,

Heidi

Kim said...

Welcome home Serra Family! I am so glad you all made it with no problems. When we were in the Almaty airport I got "the hairy eyeball" all the time. Oh well, such is life. What great friends you have! I hope you settle in nicely this week and enjoy the beginning of your beautiful life together!

Kim

PS - I LOVE Landshark!

Kelly and Sne said...

Yay! I'm so happy you're home safe and sound. Yes, it IS a great feeling and it sounds like everybody is feeling great about it! Also glad that you had a smooth flight. I concur with the praise for the ergo - it's the only way Miras would sleep.

Karen said...

welcome home--just in time for the world series. hope you get lots of sleep as you've got a lot of showing off to do with that little cutie of yours. congratulations once again. you had the best attitude of all of us and as they say, attitude is everything. just glad you're home safe and sound.

hugs,
karen

Anonymous said...

I love the woman in the background in the Frankfurt photos with tin foil on her head. Well, maybe its not tin foil but it's still funny ;-)

Welcome back, my friend, and I wish I wasn't in freaking Nevada right now so I could come give Leeze many hugs and kisses. Soon ;-)
Shannon

The Cook said...

yeah, welcome home. I do not know what I am going to read every day to be uplifted. Please keep blogging.

Regina said...

Well my friend, you've said it before on other blogs, and now I get to say it to you:

Welcome home, Serra Family, welcome home!!!

There's no feeling like it in the whole wide world! Am I right or am I right???

Much love and good wishes,
Regina, Frank and Milo

Tracy said...

congrats on a safe trip home. Enjoy that beautiful little princess. I am so proud of all of you. You made it...

Tracy

dnd82001 said...

So wonderful that you are home home home!!

What a wonderful family you have and I wish you continued happiness & blessings!!

Darlene

Chris & Christy said...

Welcome Home Mommy! 10 weeks in Kaz, isn't that a world adoption record? :) I can only bet it feels great, yet totally surreal, to be home. HOME! :) I can also bet that parts of you miss your time in Kaz. It is such a bizarre thing to even think that you were really in Kazakhstan. You really adopted. This little girl is really your daughter.

Isn't God Great!

Glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound!

I would LOVE an invite to your Sean and Leeza blog please!!!

:)Christy

Sonya said...

Welcome Home!

Sonya

Joyce said...

Hi Susan.Joe and Leeza,
Welcome home!!! I am so glad to hear that you are finally here and safe! You will start feeling human soon, so hang in there! I am sending many wishes for a wonderful and happy life to come. Love to all,
Kaz Grandmam,
Joyce

Matthew Ruley said...

Welcome home! Please invite me to your new blog.

I am so glad we are blogging because I go back and I didn't remember what happened 6 months ago much less 6 years ago.

Lets get together when you catch your breath.

KazAdventurers said...

Congratulations on arriving home! It's so great that Kostanai was such a wonderful experience for you...your feelings about Leeza's place of birth and your recorded experience there will surely mean so much to her in years to come.

Best wishes!
Lisa