Friday, October 10, 2008

Social Butterfly, Standing alone, and Flights home!

My (oops, Our, I mean) daughter is really a social butterfly! We went out yesterday from about 1-3 and she was cracking me up! If we're stopped at a light, or waiting in line for the ATM, or waiting in line a the store, or whatever, she is drawn to other people, PARTICULARY Kazakh women.

She will start "talking" to them, and then hold her hand out to get a "high 5". Sometimes, they don't notice her, so she talks louder and keeps her hand out there, as if to say, "Hey lady, I'm talkin to you..you gonna leave me hangin or what?"

Honestly, I don't know how you could NOT notice her, as I am the only chick I see on the streets with an ergo with a baby in it, and such a cute baby, at THAT! I guess everyone is not like me, who has ALWAYS been drawn to babies, even more so the last 4 years since I've wanted one so badly. :)

Leeza and I went to the "central mall" and found a couple more cool souvenirs in the Kazakh souvenir shop for when she is older. I'm glad I keep checking back cuz they do get more things in. We even found a book this time, in Kazakh, Russian, and English. After our purchases there, we walked up to the 2nd floor of the mall, where they have mega kid stores. Of course, the diva got MORE clothes cuz they were just so cute and not super expensive. I got her some lil jeans with gold butterflies embroidered on them for 1100 tenge. I figured that was comparable to Target prices, and she also got some purple cords with flowers on the bottom, some cute white knit pants (every girl must have appropriate "cruise wear"), and some other really cute pants and lil tops. I figured I better shop now, before Joe gets here and tells us she has a closet full of clothes at home ALREADY. :)

Spontaneous kisses
As I talked about before, Leeza learned to "kiss" a few weeks ago, but kisses were reserved for her ABC lion, and the baby in her "Babies" book. Mom would ask, BEG, for kisses, but I GOT NUTTIN!
Last week, I got a spontaneous kiss while we were snuggling and I was so happy I cried. I have gotten a few more kisses from her, but NEVER when I ask for them. I do love the spontaneous kisses though because it makes me feel like she really "gets" what a kiss is...it says I LOVE YOU! I got one when we were laughing and playing on the bed, and then I got 2 more last night!

Leeza is pulling up on everything (of course) and pulling off anything she can reach on every shelf or table. Last night, she let go of the table, and stood for about 5-7 seconds! She was so proud of herself! I took her hand (just one) and we walked from the living room the to the kitchen. Granted, we don't live in a McMansion here in Kostanai, but it was about 20 steps for her. Previously, she could walk about 3-5 steps before she'd fall and her balance was kinda "iffy". Last night, her steps were confident and her balance was good! After we walked, I gave her warm milk with bread soaked in it and we were playing. She got up in my face and gave me a slobbery sweet kiss. I was so thrilled, I could just feel her joy! She was so happy and proud of herself, and then she gave me another one! I got 2 kisses right on the lips from my angel girl! Yes, I did cry. She probably thinks her mom is a wacko!

Flights Home

Joe leaves on Saturday (which is already, TODAY (for me!) to come bring us home!! He arrives here on Monday, October 13th at 9:40 am. Our flights are booked from Kostanai to Almaty for Wednesday, October 15th at 12:25 pm. We change plans in Astana and arrive in Almaty at 5:20 pm.

We leave Almaty on Tuesday, Oct 21st on the 3:20 am flight to Frankfurt via Lufthansa ( a 7 hour and 5 minute flight..OY!) and arrive home, THE SAME DAY (that freaks me out!!!) on October 21st at 10:45 pm into Tampa.

We have a layover in Frankfurt from 6:25 am to 2:25 pm and then a 9 hour and 25 minute flight on American (that is what my itenary says...is that really right? that seems awfully long???!!!!!) to Chicago. Leeza will become an American citizen when we land in Chicago!! I wonder if I'll cry. It's rather ironic that we are first landing in Chicago for Leeza's "first city in America" as it was the home of my very first, and my most recent, (and sometimes, after not running for 11 weeks, I think, maybe my LAST) marathon, and I think all that endurance training prepared me well for our amazing adventure to bring home our "Baby Kaz". Although it's a tremendous feeling of accomplishment to run a marathon, I think "the prize" at the end of this marathon beats actually running the 26.2 miles any ole day! After a 2 hour layover in Chicago, ( MAN, I hope that is long enough to get Leeza thru immigration!!), we have ONE LAST 2 hour and 35 minute flight until we land in Tampa at 10:45 pm!

I was bummed we are getting in so late because I know people wanted to come to the airport, and believe me, I wanted them to be there! I wanted a party!! My friend Jill and Virginia are so sweet, they are coming to pick us up, and bringing Sean. Joe took Leeza's new carseat over to Jill's so they can put it in her van! I am going to send out our flight info for anyone who wants to come, but I am not expecting a big turn out on a school/work night!

I did not take ANY pictures of the princess yesterday-so sorry-but I thought I'd share the pictures of her the day we met her, on August 1st, 2008, 10 weeks and one day ago. I never posted these because I looked so scary with my greasy hair and no shower, but she has changed so much I feel compelled to forgot my vanity and share! This is in Dr. Irina's office (which is so wild, she she is now GONE!), when they brought her in and handed her to me. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT on our big "blind date".
She doesn't look or act like the same child though...she has changed so much...THE POWER OF LOVE!!






6 comments:

Sandi said...

wow wow wow, the transformation in Leeza is absolutely amazing. I can not wait for you to get home. It is going to be fabulous. Just around the corner.

Congratulations on the walking Leeza, you go girl.

Sandi

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I hope Joe arrives safely. I know he can't wait to see his girls! I'm sure he'll be in for a surprise to see in person how much Leeza has changed since court and how mobile she's become.

Trudi said...

I agree with Sandi - what a difference. And those little bruises on her forehead just kill me to see. But one thing I noticed is that for day one, she connected to you --- and was curious and played to the camera! How cute is that?

Safe travels to Joe and to you and Leeza too as you return home. If I lived anywhere near Florida, you can bet I would be in the greeting party! :)

Jennifer said...

Wow! She is really getting mobile, isn't she?

We too landed in Chicago and our layover was only 1.5 hours. We were worried, but had plenty of time, even with immigration, picking up our luggage from international, checking it back in for domestic, and having to explain in the security line why we had WAY more food and juice bottles (the liquid rule) for the baby than we could possibly need on the short leg between Chicago and Minneapolis. We just kept Gigi strapped in the Ergo, and kept it all moving. :-) We even had time to stop at Starbucks and buy an iced caramel machiato(sp)!

Leeza certainly has changed from a gorgeous little BH baby, to a gorgeous, shining Serra!

Safe travels to Joe!

Tricia said...

Susan, It makes me teary to think of Leeza before you met her and how much your love for her has changed her. It is amazing!

I also wanted to tell you that there is a bookstore on the road across from the entrance to the walkway to the university and amusement park. Where they have the white pillars and there is a marked pedestrian walkway. If you are facing away from the university, it is on the right and across the street. They had a bunch of children's books that were in English/Kazakh/Russian and also some great books about the area. Check it out if you want more souveniers. I wish I had gotten more souveniers now that we are home.

Kristen (and Cary) said...

Oh wow. I can only imagine the emotions you were feeling. I can not believe her transformation over the past 10 weeks.