Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a day in the life of my lil Pixie Fairy Elf



Lately, as Leeza's hair is growing and her lil 2 year old personality is shining thru, she reminds me so much of a lil pixie fairy elf. She runs around on her tip toes, giggling and laughing a lot of the time. She really makes me smile (except for when the pixie elf disappears and the scary 2 year old ogre who is pissed off emerges!)

Despite the occasional tantrum, and even the new throwing and hitting that comes from being pissed off and frustrated, I forgot how much I love 2 year olds. I love their bright eyed curiosity, and I love how Leeza is so "organized" and puts her toys "away", her shoes "away" and puts her clothes in the hamper. I love how she wipes her face and hands after every bite eating, and LOVES to help me clean. I love how she refused to finger paint at art class, insisting on using a brush,then exclaiming "mess mess" when she got a tad of paint on her hand or on her paint shirt. I even love her as she's galloping around, tip toes and all, at story time at the library when all other children are quietly sitting. Of course, at the time, I was embarrassed to have to keep getting her from climbing on the stage behind the library lady, and just let her run off to the side of room behind the chairs. Just when I think "oh my, she has zero attention span", she comes home and will play in her room by herself reading her books, tending to her babies, or even play with playdough at her table. I am just going to assume she felt story time was boring. She did engage in the hokey pokey, itsy bitsy spider song, and the head shoulder knees and toe song AFTER the story.

At her preschool open house last night, her teachers told me that she is doing great, she is very busy, and engages just fine, but doesn't want to sit for circle time but they don't make her. Both the teachers have sons in 7th grade (to Sean's 6th grade) and 2nd grade daughters. We laughed talking about middle schoolers and the vast differences between boys and girls. They commented on Leeza's "girly girlness" and how she is drawn to the "babies" and the kitchen,and how in art she is NOT interested in the messy stuff.:) She also DOES NOT like bugs (but at Gymboree delighed in carrying around these huge fake roaches..maybe cuz she knew they weren't real? )

After teaching Sunday School for 4 years, I just don't want her to be "one of those kids" who runs around like a wild banshee. :) I am already seeing that she loves to be outside, loves to run and kick the ball, and she is shaping up to be a pretty impressive swimmer. I think the key to keeping Leeza engaged is going to be playing LOTS of sports. :) I think I put Sean in almost every sport when he was little until he got older and we narrowed it down to what he really liked. Sean has done gymnastics, kung fu, soccer, swim team, basketball, triathlon team, baseball, and football. I am sad that he is done with soccer. I think Kung Fu would be GREAT for Leeza as it teaches focus. Sean tried it for a year when he was 4. He tested for a couple belts then wanted to quit because "his teacher yelled too much" and he was such a sensitive lil soul. :)

Oh Lil Leeza...as much as you can be frustrating (running from mommy at bed time, throwing my phone, hitting your brother), I still really like you MOST OF THE TIME! :)











2 comments:

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

I am so glad you do this. I love reading about Leeza. She is such a beautiful child and I feel blessed to be able to watch her grow up over the past year.

Henry's mom said...

I love how full of life Leeza is! I just love listening to you tell us all about her. What an adorable child you have indeed! Proud proud mama!