Monday, February 2, 2009

Lemonade award...awww thanks Gretchen!!!




I would like to give a big thank you to Gretchen for this lovely lil blogger award called "The Lemonade Award", with the gist being a recognition to someone who has a positive attitude, the whole "glass half full " mentality and when lives gives em lemons..they make lemonade.

I met Gretchen (Journey Near, Journey Far) at the beginning of our adoption journey after she was home with her adorable Kaz cutie, Serik. Serik was a tiny munchkin but after a few months home with Gretchen and Chris, he looked like a totally differnet kid. They decided to adopt again, domestically, and were blessed with Austin, 15 months at the time, only a couple months younger than Serik, and his newborn infant brother, Asa. I am so amazed at how well these children has thrived with Gretchen and Chris as their parents. It's so heartwarming to see the difference and realize how loved and blessed these children are, and how much joy they bring to their parents as well!

The rules for this spunky lil award are that you post the graphic for it, write a post that links back to the giver, and then pass it on to up to ten others. Leave a comment on the blogs that get the award, so they know what's happened.

I have so many friends in "blogger nation" that helped me thru my long wait to Leeza, and who have continued to inspire me along the way. I decided to limit it to 5 so that I'm not an award hog. A couple of these gals already got awards (Sara Tennen with her diva daughter Rylie, and Jennifer, momma to Gianna), but I didn't want them to go without a mention. :)

The first person I met on this adoption journey was Sandi {Journeytomydaughter} and she lives in Orlando. We were using the same adoption agency, and we started the process around the same time. She is waiting to travel very soon, with a different agency, after an unsuccessful first trip to Kazakhstan. She has been thru the wringer, yet solidly supported us, while we were assigned the same region and baby house of her first trip. She has been unbelievably patient, and supportive of everyone, and I am SO excited for her to meet her daughter VERY SOON! Her resilient spirit and strength of character are amazing, and her daughter will be one very blessed lil angel to have her as a momma!!

Angela (Seeking Alia) and I met our daughters the same month-and I started following her blog when we were both still paperchasing. She is one of those "really hard professors" you have in college that you really hate while in the class cuz they challenge you so much, but then you are so appreciative after the class was over because of how much you learned. I love her intellectutal approach to everything,and while you could probably not find 2 different personalities in the two of us, for whatever reason, the friendship "works".

Karen {Our Adoption Journey to Kazakstan} has been an amazing cheerleader for us, way back when I was freaked out everyday that Joe was going to be too old and we'd never get to Kaz. She and Glenn adopted their adorable son, Max, from Ust and loved it so much they're on their way to number 2!

Steve and KJ (Kazmo adoption) and their wonderful daughter "Tougy" have been not only a great support system for us, but their pictures are the most amazing I have ever seen. Tougy is certainly a beautiful child, but Steve is able to capture her beauty, and KJ's beauty, with such an expert eye that his photographs are truly works of art. Their first journey to Kaz was not successful either, which kept my faith that everything happens for a reason and the right children end up with the right families.

Karen {Little Kazman} has been one of the people that I was fortunate enough to meet in "real life" as she came to Florida. Her and her husband Bob adopted Garrett. They have had their challenges, but Karen is such a wonderful advocate for Garrett and has also been such an amazing mentor to Sade, her "lil sister" in the big brother, big sister program. Karen has such a big heart and I love watching her "mama bear claws" come out as she gets Garrett the resources he needs to succeed.


I feel incredibly blessed to have met so many wonderful, fantastic people on this journey, that seriously, I could easily name about 5 more people, but Leeza is milling about, and Sean is about to start homework, so Mom's time in blog land is officially over. :)

6 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my Susan! I don't know what to type :). How sweet! Your cheery disposition and enthusiasm really helped me through this process (and still does). I am so glad we were able to go through this together - right down to traveling. And, we do seem different, but share the same values as far as family goes (and now cooking!).

Thanks so much - I was having a stressful day - now not so much :).

Karen said...

Wow Susan, I'm so touched and honored, especially since there are so many other wonderful people out there to choose from.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You are definitely my number one cheerleader. -) And I'm so happy I got the opportunity to meet you (and hopefully see you, Joe and Sean again and meet Princess Leeza at Kazapalooza). I still laugh out loud when I think about our "pregnant" photo shoot. Too funny

Love ya,
Seren

Sandi said...

Susan,

SO many things I could say, but I think I will leave it at THANK YOU for being my number 1 supporter. You have gotten me through of my darkest days, and I can truly see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sandi

Gretchen said...

You are very welcome!

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, you are so sweet. I can't tell you how honored I am to get an honorable mention. :-) I am truly am honored.

You have truly inspired me to always find and focus on the positive things. To enjoy the big things and the small things as much as possible.

Thank you!

Kelly and Sne said...

Awww! You deserve it - you really kept your chin up when faced with a lot of uncertainty. And I for one really look forward to your comments on the blog - but seriously I don't know how to find the time these days!

Love the Bucs cheerleader!