Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful for Leeza's first Turkey Trot!



Ahhh..the day where we all take a moment to pause and give thanks for our many blessings. Honestly, since meeting Leeza, I have certainly been counting my blessings every day since our first "blind date" on August 1st, in Kostanai, Kazakhstan.

As has been our "family tradition" since Sean was about 4, we head out for the "Turkey Trot", a very popular 5k and 10k run held every Thanksgiving morning. It's an incredibly festive atmosphere, and VERY CROWDED! I typically would run the 5k with Sean and Joe, then run the 10k and try my hardest to get the "coveted" Turkey trot mug for the top 100 finishers. Sadly, I have never been fast enough to win the coveted mug, and this year, I didn't even run the 10k. Instead, we signed up for the 5k "non competitive stroller and walker race" that starts behind the regular 5k. For the first time in the 6 years I've run the Turkey Trot, it was a chilly morning! Leeza musta brought the cold from Kostanai. :) It was so nice out-and even though I had to wake a sound asleep Leeza up at 6:15 am this morning (about 3 hours earlier than her typical 9:30 am wake up), she woke up happy as we bundled her up for her first Turkey Trot!




Sean and I wanted to run, so we took off and let Daddy walk with Leeza. He loved it as it he said Leeza is MOST DEFINTELY a "chick magnet" as he had many "ooh's and ah's" over her, to which she responded by blowing kisses to her many fans.





In my zest to get her in the stroller with her hat, gloves, and blanket, I didn't "buckle her in" apparently. Joe said he started to jog a lil bit and Leeza started sliding out........but thank goodness Joe was quick enough to catch her before she hit the ground..(and they say 50 is "too old" to adopt a baby..WHATEVER!!!).





It was a gorgeous, chilly morning and we all went to Village Inn for breakast vittles after the run with our friends the Hockin's, and the Fady's. Leeza scarfed down 2 scrambled eggs-eating "double fisted". She is NOT only a "chick magnet" for Joe, but a "kid magnet" as the 2 Hockin boys, and the Fady boy and the Serra boy were all enamoured with the lil superstar Leeza. :) She is CERTAINLY not a child who wants for any attention, that is for sure. :)





Last night, we went to Carraba's after we all signed up for the Turkey Trot. You would not even know we had a baby in our midst, except for the "drunken" Frankstein walk she had to show off after dinner. She sat next to mommy and ate my salad, and my salmon and garlic mashed potatoes, and my friend Virginia's broccoli and cauliflower. No need to order off the kids menu for her...she eats half my entree which helps me try to keep the Kaz weight off. :)

Leeza is now sound asleep-preparing for the next feast where we head over to Karen's-Joe's cousin's-for Thanksgiving dinner. I am thinking she is going to really love "Thanksgiving viddles", but then again, there is not a food that Leeza has met that she doesn't like, except for baby food and grapes. :)

Having Leeza home with us has made me more thankful in general, and more aware of the many blessings in our lives. She is our "Thanksgiving princess", forever here to remind us of how blessed we are to have her in our family. Leeza is a lucky lil girl too, because she has a big brother who clearly adores her. I knew Sean would be a good big brother, just based on his interaction with her in Kazakhstan. However, I thought that once we got home and her "newness" wore off, and he was home, surrounded by his friends and his daily distractions, that Leeza would maybe lose a lil bit of "novelty", after all, he is a 10 year old boy. I cannot tell you how wonderful he is, even more so than in Kaz. I don't have to ask him for help, he gladly gives it, without being asked, or told. He is really amazing with her, and she just adores him. He is, however, prone to some language I am not happy with and twists the nursery ryhmes around and tells her how "innapropriate" they are (Rub a dub, dub, 3 men in a tub, as an example), and has the penguin he bought her "beat up" the doll baby I am teaching her to rock, so those are things we have to work on. :)


Happy blessed Thanksgiving everyone-and ENJOY THE VIDDLES! Leeza sure will....


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures of you all at the Turkey Trot. So glad you didn't lose any children this year! (-:

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and I'm already looking forward to when we call all see each other in person again!

Jennifer said...

Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend!

Could that pink and blue outfit be any more perfect for Leeza?! Oh my gosh! I just love the Crayola written on the hat. Where do you find stuff like that?!

That's awesome that Sean is such a great big brother to Leeza and a good helper to you. He's a great kid and you're a great mom.

Happy Thanksgiving Serra family!

Tricia said...

It looks funny to see Leeza all bundled up again. Happy Thanksgiving! We do have a lot to be thankful for this year. How was her first Thanksgiving dinner? Rustam seemed to enjoy his, but then proceeded to projectile vomit after we put him in the car seat to head home. What a sight that was!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'm glag you enjoyed the Turkey Trot.

I can't believe Leeza won't eat grapes. That's the one thing Roxana never turns down! Roxana did try a nice sampling of the Thanksgiving spread today. Who can resist such good food?

Karen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leeza and company!!! May this be your best Thanksgiving yet.

Garrett wasn't too keen on the vittles (surprising since he loves to eat) but he did scarf down the crescent rolls and asparagus.

(Talk about bundling up--I was so chilled yesterday that I had my giant winter coat on in the house no less.)

Kelly and Sne said...

Good for you! I thought about doing a 5K yesterday morning but sleeping in seemed like a better option... Seriously, I HAVE to get back into shape.

Looks like Leeza was a fun 5K team member! And adorable as usual.

Happy thanksgiving!

kristen said...

am certain you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know we did - what a special year this has been! I am loving watching all your pictures and posts about Leeza. She is simply gorgeous and I am so excited you are all back home now as a forever family!

demarest6 said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad you were able to run in the Turkey Trot. Next year you and I are taking that mug!!!xoxoxoxo

Tracy said...

WHat a great family tradition. That is great that you all do that. I hope you had a very blessed Thanksgiving.

Sean looks like he is filling the brother role really good. Rabbit ears on his baby sister in every picture! Or is that the peace sign he is holding above her head! LOL...

We have so much to be thankful for!!!
Tracy

Aaron and Julie said...

I am so impressed that you all did the 5K! What a great Thanksgiving for you guys - what a year!! BTW - I don't know if I believe that Leeza can out eat Ben - I have a solid 40lb 3 year old who organizes his day based on meal/snack times.

I love the photo with Santa - every kid has to have a 'non-smile' first photo with Santa.

Happy Birthday to Joe today!!!! So glad that Leeza is home to celebrate. You might have a chance at winning the poll - I have been up for two hours and sleep is still rather dim thanks to baby woods. But it gives me a chance to finally catch up on blogs :)

Trudi said...

Just catching up (finally) -- and concerned on how Joe is doing. Our neighbor has had the same darned surgery (he's fine). So I hope Joe is doing A-OK too.

As for Sean and the haircut - he'll learn or you'll be able to torture him with photos for a long time to come.

Leeza - the eyes have it, don't they? She is just a beauty and so smart! I love that she takes herself to bed when she's tired! Smart baby girl! :)