Sunday, August 19, 2007

The "Baby Whisperer" and Sore Biceps



One of my best friends had her annual "Back to School Mom and Kids party" yesterday and it was so much fun, as usual. She lives in this killer house on a lake, complete with jet boat, jet ski's, swimming pool, and tons of great food and fun friends. It was especially fun this year as I have 4 friends who have had babies since the last back to school party last August. I was in BABY HEAVEN! I got to hug and kiss babies the entire afternoon. They were so adorable!! I did feel like the "baby whisperer" as I just never wanted to be without one of them. The mommies were happy to share so they could chat.
I have included a precious picture of Brody, who found me so relaxing he just crashed out and let me snuggle and kiss his sweet head. Isn't he the cutest? I am sorry that I didn't get my camera out sooner as I only got pictures of me with one baby. However, it became very apparent to me this morning, that I need to lift weights before getting BAby Kaz. MY BICEPS ARE SO SORE!! I am clearly not used to holding babies, now that my son is 9. :)
I tried to use my friends "Hot slings" but that resulted in crying babies and me trying to cram their legs into this pouch that didn't seem to fit. I am NO good at those things. I then tried to put a 10 lb baby in the hot sling, and have his legs hang out, but he did NOT like it one bit. I am going to keep practicing using differnet carriers so I can decide what to get for Kaz. My son never liked any of them, even the baby Bjorn type. So, we'll see. I'm so uncoordinated so ease of use is hilarious.

As I am holding and kissing these sweet babies (all boys, by the way, ranging in age from 3 1/2 months to 10 1/2 months), I am reminded of a comment that a lady said to me recently. She said, "Wow, you must have a really big heart, I could never love a baby that wasn't mine", when I was telling her about our adoption. I suppose I can understand that some people may feel that way, but I am CERTAINLY not one of those people. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I love ALL my freinds precious babies, and I also am attached to my 4 year old Sunday school students. I could take them all home (well, most of them anyway) and love them like my own. I guess that is why we're very happy with our adoption decision.

4 comments:

Chris Sapp said...

People tell me all the time that they don't feel they could adopt beacuse they don't feel they could ove a child that wasn't their flesh and blood. I always say, "Your spouse isn't your flesh and blood, but you love him/her." I think people don't give themselves enough credit, although I do believe adoption isn't for everyone. In my experience, it has been the best decision I have ever and will ever makin in my life. I love my children as if they were a part of me beacuse I truly believe they are. Love reading your journey!

Matthew Ruley said...

I hear people say that think we're brave to adopt (because they don't know if they would love an adopted child). Weird, I think. I love our kitties (although I'll love our children differently), but we adopted them as full grown cats. Still, they are my babies. Not the same thing but - don't we all adopt our pets, and our good friends (and as Chris and Michelle say above) our spouses? Even our cousins and aunts.

I like the pictures of the coming attractions. We should get together soon.

Gretchen said...

I second or third the other commentors. It feels so right to love our son. I can't imagine it any other way. You may want to add leg excercises too. We walked EVERYWHERE in Kaz. There were so many stairs. I shudder to think about them. :)

The Cook said...

I used to be scared that I would feel that way because how do you really know until you meet that baby. As soon as Sophie was put in my arms I knew I could love her unconditionally and eternally. She is our world. My heart felt things I had never felt before and I have no doubts you will be the same way!