Saturday, August 14, 2010

Baffled by her endless energy...



I have to admit, I am baffled by Leeza's endless energy. It seems no matter what we do during the day (and I keep her very busy), it's always a struggle to get her asleep at night before 11 pm. She is a total night owl, and I am a morning person. She is actually sleeping less, and waking up earlier than her previous 10 am wake up times, and she does wake up happy, but I can't get the girl to bed! I was told that maybe she has outgrown naps. So, if we try to skip naps, she is a big crabby girl but she is still up past 10. I have never had a kid who goes to bed at 7:30. Her clock just doesn't run that way.







As an example, on Thursday, after nap, we swam in the pool for about 2 hours.Leeza TOOK OFF and swam the length of our pool FOURTEEN TIMES! I could not believe it. She did amazing..big arms, big legs, on top of the water, grabbing the side each time, not grabbing me. After that, she was jumping off the side and swimming to the stairs by herself. After that, I would carry her to the middle of the pool, and told her our boat sunk, throw up her up and have her swim to the stairs by herself. We did this several times as she wanted to pretend she was Cinderella and I was one of the "mean sisters" and then she was Belle and I was Gaston, and she was Snow White, and I was the witch. :) After that, she wanted to paint, so she finger painted for about 20 minutes. By now, it's 6:00 and I gave her a bath and fed her dinner, thinking FOR SURE, she'd be easy to get to sleep. UM, NO! She was up until 11:15.

At 10:30, she was running laps around the kitchen in her squeaky shoes, and wearing her winter hat and gloves. I grabbed the camera and chased her into Sean's room. SERIOUSLY? AFTER ALL THAT SWIMMING???








So, Friday arrives, and I decide I am gonna start EARLY and wear Leeza out. So, we headed to Busch Gardens. We have season passes, so it's virtually free, we don't have to pay the stupid $12 parking fee, and we bring our own water and snacks. It was so HOT, like about a bajillion degrees out. Leeza ran ran ran and had a blast. We both had fun, and we we home by 5:30. She slept the hour drive home, and woke up when we got home.









I was pretty exhausted, you'd think she'd be, right??? Guess again!!!Again...last night, could not get her to sleep. I heard her in her room, and a couple times to came out, only to be told 'GET BACK IN BED' in our MEAN MOMMY AND DADDY VOICES! At 11:30 pm, I finally went to bed, and almost tripped over this in the hall way...





To quote Sean, who often talks like "Mike the Situation" from Jersey shore, if she doesn't cut this crap out, we are GONNA HAVE OURSELVES A SITUATION!!
I signed her up for "creative movement" which is basically ballet for 3 year olds, on Saturday's starting Sept 4th, AND, she is going to do gymnastics one day a week,plus kindermusic, and then school 3x a week starting August 25th. If they had a swim team for 3 year old's, she'd be on it. :)

4 comments:

wilisons said...

Susan,

I hear you about the late nights. When Libby naps she can go pretty late into the night too although not quite until 10 or 11. On no nap nights, don't laugh, she goes to bed by 5:30 if not earlier. Honestly! If I miss that window then it is awful. I have one overtired pre-schooler who will not fall asleep before 9 on my hands! Is it possible that maybe you are missing Leeza's sleeping window?

Hope you both can find a happy medium soon.

Sweet dreams,
Shanna

Kim said...

I would be the one exhausted & sleeping on the floor after all the activities you and Leeza do!
Is your nightime environment in your house conducive for getting sleepy? By that I mean are the lights down low, no loud noises and maybe a specific routine of bath, read story and go to bed? I bet once she starts getting up early for school it will be easier to get her to bed earlier. Lindsay is starting to go without naps but I have to work at not letting her fall asleep around 5-6 and keeping her up until 8-8:30. But Leeza is younger and may very well still need a nap. Sounds like her naps are too late in the day though. Try to have her nap right after lunch when you can. I would encourage you to keep Leeza occupied with all the fun things you do during the day but do them early in the day and when it is late afternoon start helping her wind down with calmer activities. It does sound like a bit of an over-stimulation problem. I wonder if it's common with our Kaz girls. When Lindsay goes to a very physical activity like gym or even playing at a playground for a long time she does have difficulty settling down. Hang in there. Here's hoping you both get to bed earlier! Oh I meant to ask if she's afraid of something in her room. Or if the Disney movies are scaring her a little even though she may not realize it? Lindsay is just now vocalizing some fears about monsters etc... so I just thought of that with Leeza since she seems advanced for her age.

Karon said...

We have tried the same thing with Emerson but I am now convinced that he is going to be a marathon runner. We did not wear him out he just got stronger. Ugg.

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

great great post -- and i love all her adventure.. you know what else I love that i wish i could bottle up and bring up here? the clear exhuberance and self confidence she has.. man is it ever clear how she is an incredibly self confident little girl.. which is really terrific! any secrets on how to promote that, please email them my way :) i still see our little guy be timid and i know it was 17 months in an orphanage.. and learning to watch and observe every detail, but be cautious about what he engages in! She is just totally delightful!! no doubt you are ready for sleep each night! :)