Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Our bags are checked....yet here we sit!!


Our good buddy at American who didn't charge us any overweight fees and wished us good luck on our trip. He was really nice!!!



This is us before we headed out the door. This is our checked bags. We are light packers. Only 3 outfits each (yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!)



Sean posing on front of all the bags being transported to Kaz!!!

Hello! This is my FIRST TIME to use my laptop in the airport. I feel TRULY COOL and hip to have figured out how to find the free wifi. It was really easy!

Well, i'ts now 10:02 am...we were "supposed" to be headed towards our first leg of the trip to meet Baby Kaz at 8:50...but, there is some electrical issue. They keep saying "15 more minutes" but we have been re-routed thru JFK to Heathrow "just in case" this plane doesn't get fixed. So......we are STILL IN TAMPA!! (but there is free wifi and I am on my laptop, feeling "ultra hip") I am grateful for long layovers right now!!!

Update: We are booked to leave at noon to fly into JFK, then JFK to Heathrow. We have 3 hours at JFK. Not to be a princess, but, that airport is really disgusting. I recall going in the bathroom there once and it was WAY DISGUSTING. But, hey, good thing I got the "be flexible" message when I started this adoption journey. I just hope our luggage makes it...that's our only real concern. I will try to avoid the way gross bathrooms..ICK!!
I was up at 4, cleaned out the fridge, unloaded the dishwasher, put on my 'Money' and my passport and we were picked up at 6. By 7, we were thru security and sitting down at Chili's for breakfast. The American airlines guy who checked us in was a real sweetie, and did not charge us one overweight fee...and he could have charged us $150. The money doesn't even show, and it's comfy. I forget I am wearing it.

I feel pretty relaxed. I did not sleep great last night, and had a really funny anxiety dream that actually made me grateful for the 4 am alarm. :)


I love my purchase for travel..check out the matching carry on bag and purse, or diaper bag. CUTE, HUH?
Can you even tell I am wearing my passport and my money??

21 comments:

Tricia said...

How cool that you have updated already. I'm going to love the play by play. Sorry to hear that there have been delays already, but you will catch up. That looks like a decent amount of luggage for three people. Well done! You are stylin for travel girlie. Have fun along the way! See you soon. Tricia

Aaron and Julie said...

Sorry to hear about the delays - they are so frustrating. We were stuck in MN overnight on our first trip (after sitting on the runway for '15 more minutes'. Although frustrating, know that you will get there and you will meet Baby Kaz - in a matter of days ;)

Anonymous said...

I remember the scary part of not feeling the money belt was that I was afraid it would fall off and I wouldn't notice it. I must have patted to see if it was there every 3-4 minutes ;-)

That's a lotta luggage. Remember, no elevators in Kaz so I hope you all worked out your biceps to lug it all around!

You're almost there girl ;-)
Shannon

Sandi said...

Hey there you guys,

By now your on your way to NYC, and Susan JFK has gotten a little better :-).

I am so happy you were able to post, I love the play by play. I will be looking foward to your updates later on. Less time spent in JFK vs. chicago anyway.

Hopefully your enjoying your flight.

Talk to you soon,
Sandi

Tracy said...

Ok... where are you now!!!
Keep the faith and your eyes on the prize! YOur baby is waiting and all these delays will not matter real soon. Like labor pains...
Can't wait to hear more..
Tracy

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hey way cool hip mama!!! You're on your way...woo hoo!

Those darn flight delays can be annoying. Can't wait to hear about the next part of your journey. No doubt you'll have neat things to share with us.

Eileen

Karen said...

You're so funny—last post from home. Ha-ha.

Believe me, you're going to see so many "yucky" bathrooms in Kaz that it'll make the ones at JFK look good.

Safe travels Serra Family.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Yea, a bonus post. Sorry it's at your expense because of delays. That $150 you saved at American will come in handy when Air Astana hits you up for cash. HA! Love the luggage. You are the ultimate Hot Mama! Miss you already!!

dnd82001 said...

Very cool - you got to use the laptop & WiFi and hit NY - who could ask for me!!

Very hip and trendy - I hope after all your travels you look & feel as good!!

Keep us posted!

Darlene

marsrob said...

Love the early updates! Keep 'em coming! Right now you should be flying comfortably!!! Yahoo!!!

Unknown said...

You're on your way! This is so exciting! If you think the bathrooms in JFK are gross, wait until you get to the Frankfurt airport. :-) Relax and enjoy your journey.

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

You all look fairly relaxed before leaving - keep it up. Susan, that is quite the shoe closet over Joe's shoulder, Tougy is very envious.

Karen is right that you will see a great number of 'restrooms' in Kaz that will make JFK's look like kitchens.

Karen and Glenn also point out that Air Astana will not likely be so kind as the American Airlines gentleman. We can vouch for that. It gets quite pricey to have 'extra' luggage in country.

Here's hoping you all arrive with your bags in a few more hours. Take Care.

Us

demarest6 said...

I just can't stand it! I want to know where you are every second. I didn't sleep last night thinking that you going to meet your little girl in just two short days. Joe please take a picture of Susan's face when they introduce you to your child. You are an amazing family and I am excited for all of you. I am committed to being your prayer warrior, remember every second of this incredible journey...Our God is an awesome God, he reigns from Heaven above, with wisdom, power, and love our God is an awesome God!

Jeannine said...

I have been thinking about you all day. I am so happy you are on your way to meet your daughter. I'll be thinking of you and praying.

Jennifer said...

You are adorable! I love the pose, the bags, the jeans, the shirt, and yes, if I'm honest, I even love your chic hair style. (Always have envied your hair actually.)

Sean is so much like you- posing in front of the bags. That is so great.

I'm hoping you guys are really on your way. Yippee!!

Gretchen said...

Yuck for the delays. We were stuck in Almaty and told there were NO flights out all summer. We obviously got out anyway but delays stink. The matching bags are way too cute. I love it. You are one cool chick with the bags and money belt. :)

What a nice guy to not charge for the overweight bags. If you think those bathrooms are bad you just wait. Whatever you do do NOT go to the bathroom in the Almaty zoo. That's the worst I have seen since Prague. Hope you and your luggage make it there together. We'll be thinking of you all and wishing the best. I'm so excited for you!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Cute bags. You don't look at all excited! ;)

Tricia said...

Here's a positive note to help you through the airline changes. I am happy you are not flying on Lufthansa, because they are striking right now. Thank God for those frequent flyer miles!

Kelly and Sne said...

You are one hot Mama! And a hip one too! I love the matching set - very fun.

Ick - I wouldn't want to layover at JFK either. But Heathrow is a madhouse.... so I don't know 'the lesser of two evils?'

I am so happy to move your link to the "In Kaz" folder! Yay!

Alysa said...

You should be in the air right now, I think, anyway. So stylin' -- love the matching carry-on set. Yep, you're looking at some fees in Almaty.

What money belt?! You look great as always!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I'm impressed. That is actually not that much luggage given the lenght of the trip and all that you need. Hope I do as well.