Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Making Progress!!!



Well-we are making some serious progress ,I am happy to report.
The biggest one that makes this feel really REAL, or , surreal, is that WE HAVE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS! OH MY GOODNESS! We leave a week from Wednesday!!!!

On the way to the airport in Dallas when my Dad was taking Sean and I to catch our Tampa flight last week, he was asking about our flights to Kaz. I was telling him about how insanely expensive they are. He said he wondered how many miles he had (he travels a ton on business) and called his most wonderful travel agent (and good family friend of ours). Long story short...we are using his American Airlines miles to get us to Frankfurt, then Air Astana directly into Kostanai. We leave a day early, but stay over night in Frankfurt. I am actually excited about that, because we can sight see and break up the flights. We arrive in Kostanai on Saturday, August 2nd. That gives us Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to "recoup" before meeting Baby Kaz on Tuesday. :)

Now, I gotta figure out how to pack everything that I want to take. That will be challenging I am sure. However, I packed Sean and I in one rolling duffel at 46 lbs for our recent week vacation. I have NEVER packed that light...my sister had 2 huge suitcases for the same amount of time. :)

I also have touched base with 2 other families from my agency that are traveling at the same time we are. In fact, one family just got there and is meeting their baby Kaz tomorrow. The other couple is leaving the 2nd of August. They both seem VERY cool, and the even neater thing is, that we all have children we are bringing along. Sean is the oldest, at 10, but the couple who just arrived have 2 boys, 4 and 3, (one adopted from Kostanai 5 years ago!), and the other couple has a 5 year old son. I am really excited about that because they both seem really fun and it will be fun with all of our children together. :) The couple there now, has shipped a playground for the Delphin house and will be assembling that while we're there. That will be something really neat to be a part of.

I feel calm (somewhat) but I am a mess. I can't sleep, but I can eat. (darn it)
My list is diminshing-I can't believe we leave ONE WEEK FROM TOMORROW!!!
I think Sean is really nervous/anxious as well, but he won't admit it.

Tricia is such an inspiration too. She is over there now, waiting out the waiting period with her son, Rustam. Her husband left after court (7 weeks!!) and she is living it up.

My flights are booked, our travel insurance is purchased, our shots have been adminstered, and our conference call with our international adoption doctor is tomorrow.

Now, to try to figure out how to pack....Baby Kaz's room is a real wreck. :)

21 comments:

Sandi said...

What fabulous news. I am so happy for you. One week you will be on your way to fabulous Kostanai. A town I truly loved.

Now I know your busy but you better call me. Maybe I can come over before next wednesday.

Sandi

BabyKazfan said...

This is so exciting!!! I can't wait to read all about your adventures in Kaz Land.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Well you sound like the norm at this stage in the process, so that should be comforting. Over the next week your brain will be busting open with thoughts and ideas and worries but remember who is in charge! :) I'll pray for ya! I can't wait and am sooooo excited!!! Remember that the people there wear the same clothes over and over so you don't have to take that much but if Sean is going to court with you take him something nice to wear, not a suit but some slacks and a shirt. Gena

Unknown said...

Whoo-hoo! This is exciting! So much to do, I'm sure. Take good notes as I'll be emailing for what I really should be bringing with me. (-:

See you in a month!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Susan...your dream is coming true :) I can't believe you're leaving soon! I'm sure there is nothing you can think about but Kaz!!

It's super that you know the other people going the same time as you...and that they have children. What a neat experience.

Can't wait to follow along!
Eileen

Angela said...

Checking things off that list until there isn't anything left! A week?! WOW!

Amy said...

Great news!!!! You will be there in a flash!!!

dnd82001 said...

All good things - crazy but good.

I'm excited for you and it is good to know you already have some other folks to hang with when you are in country - that is very cool!

Let me know how that packing thing goes!!

Darlene

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! Everything is coming together, and now you are tying up the loose ends. You sound painfully organized. Plus, what a great summer you have had! Again, keeping our fingers crossed for you.....smooth sailing is what we are hoping for. Talk to you soon.
Heidi

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

The final few clicks can be felt in your seat as you approach the pinnacle of the roller-coaster and prepare to bravely throw your hands up, let out a scream, and put your trust to the test.

Such a long time coming and yet somehow those final few days sneak up on you and bring forth a torrent of emotion that has, until now, been somehow sidelined.

Enjoy your ride. We're all here thrilled to be a part of your journey. All the best to you, Joe, and Sean. Take Care.

Anonymous said...

That's crazy soon, I can't believe it! If I can help, let me know ;-)
Shannon

Tricia said...

Chris here, So happy to hear you're on the way!! Wishing you nothing but the best. Kostanai is a nice city, and the Delphin house is a place that will be etched into your memory forever. Trish & Rustam are eagerly awaiting your arrival, you'll have friends there as soon as you hit the runway!

Maegan and Tony Van Sant said...

I have a packing list if you would like it! I cant believe we still have it on on computer! We will continue to follow your blog and we will keep you in our prayers!

Maegan, Tony and Tay!

Matthew Ruley said...

I am SO excited to follow you journey to Baby Kaz! Its been a long time in waiting and I will try to be there every single day during your blogging - you have been such an inspiration to all of us with your patience and perseverenace in this adoption.

You are in our prayers and thoughts!

Kim said...

That is great news about the flights! One week - crazy crazy! Breathe in and out over and over again. Here you go...

Aaron and Julie said...

One week, one week, one week!!!!!!

Alysa said...

Woo-hoo!! I totally agree with Kjersten and Steve's comments. It is an amazing ride. I too am incredibly excited for you. Can't wait to follow your journey to your Baby Kaz!

Tricia said...

I thought of something else today...popcorn. If you like that as a snack, bring it. I haven't seen it in the stores here. Our coordinator said you can get some at the amusement park, though. You already know how excited I am for you. Love, Tricia

marsrob said...

WOO HOO You are leaving SOO SOON! VERY EXCITING and so nice that you can use miles for airline travel! Sounds like you have a GREAT plan and some cool people on the other side...including YOUR BABY!!! YIPEEE!!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

One week until takeoff!!!! I cannot wait. I love the excitement and anticipation that surounds all of this. Can you believe this? After all those emails, posts on blogs, etc. YOUR turn is here.
I cannot wait to follow along in your journey to meet baby kaz! And that is so great there will be other families there with you. It makes for a very special bond.
Stay calm, and pack light!
PS- that is amazing you were able to use miles for part of the way. We tried that with no success.

Jennifer said...

Wow!! I am SOOO feeling the energy! That is awesome that you will have people over there to hang with.

I'm so excited for you!!