Tuesday, May 6, 2008

No News....



No news on Baby Kaz and when we'll meet her...
But, a couple families were given LOI's this past week for May and for July, apparently. So, to me, that means we're not going in either of those months.
School ends in 20 days, so we made some plans this week since it doesn't look like we'll be traveling halfway accross the world just yet. I am grateful that we went away to a family church retreat this past weekend. It was a really nice, relaxing time and it really gave me new perspective. I am going to try to maintain this peaceful feeling that I have and just really work on trusting God's plan for our family.

Fortunately, we are very busy until school ends. Tomorrow, I am volunteering for the "Book club bash", and Friday I am in charge of the Safety Patrol skating party at the park. Exciting stuff, I know...but, it's fun for me and it keeps me very busy, which is good! The St Augustine trip is next week--and I am ready with my tunics, sleeveless jeweled tops, and close toed shoes. I will do my best to not talk or use my cell phone or do anything else to bring attention to myself. I will give you all a full report when we get back. :)

I have been busy planning some fun things for Sean this summer. He worked so hard this year, I want him to have a good balance of fun, and relaxing time, too. I got Sean into summer camp-the same week away church camp he went to last year. YAY! I am so lucky that it wasn't full!! He is going there in June, and then we made plans for the 4th of July to visit my sister in Arkansas, where my parents will join us, and my brother, his wife, and their girls. That will be really fun. Then, we're going to go back to Dallas, where my parents live, and Sean and I are going to go to San Francisco to visit my aunt, and my grandma is going to be there. My sister is going to go with her kids. Plus, Joey, my stepson lives there too. I'm excited. Joe can't go, because, well, SOMEONE has to work. Steinmart will live without me for the month of July. I am excited to do some traveling. It will help me work on my packing skills since extra suitcase are now a charge of $25.

On a seperate note, today is my mom's birthday. She would have been 67 today, but she died when she was 42 of lung cancer. It seems so weird that I've had more years now without her than with her, as she died when I was 17. I will be 42 next month, and I cannot imagine leaving Sean. I know she is lookin out for me though and smiling down at her grandson. She was a cool lady...way Zen before her time. She was into yoga, and wore birkenstocks with socks before it was cool to do so. At my slumber party, she had us all lay in shivansa and took us on a mediation, floating thru the clouds. She was really a groovy mom...WAAAY differnent than all the other mom's. The other day, I found a wallet size picture of her. I kept begging her to write on the back of it (you know how you wrote on the back of pics back in the day)
She wrote: Dear Susan, I do not write on the back of pictures, as I feel this is purely a juvenile activity. I love you anyway, Mom
I MISS YOU MOM!!

I am enjoying following the blogs of all my friends in country, and my friends about to go!! Good thing I am chilled out Zen yoga Susan instead of the old Hard Core Competitive Susan or I may have had a hard time watching all my good blog buddies go before me. For now, I'm at peace for whatever comes, I just wish I knew SOMETHING. All I was told is that the other families had plenty of time to get ready. So, with that, I think I could still use my winter boots. Today, I was buying a cute stuffed lion that sing's the ABC song and some musical books for Baby Kaz at Steinmart. The lady checking me out asked if it was for our baby. I told her yup, it sure was! She said, so, you have her? I said, nope, we gotta go get her. She said, "well, at least you have it the easy way. I said, well, I don't know about that. I think being pregnant was way easier than this."
I just wish there was a way to make this easier. The only thing that makes it easier is the friends that I've met along the way. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I will close with this, as I truly mean it. I love the friends who read my blog and who inspire me daily with their adoption stories. Thank you so much~it really feels good that you all care about us and Baby Kaz! I love you all and I love your children. You're all so incredibly special!!!

Quote by Margaret Mead...Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

22 comments:

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Good to see your update. Sorry about your closed toed shoe issued though! lol! You be a good girl, hear? Dallas? Keep in touch as we may be there at the same time in Southlake visiting Berik's uncle, my brother and his family. Sounds like you'll have a fantastic summer planned that will keep you busy while God arranges for the perfect baby for you! It will all be worth it!! Hang in there. Gena

dnd82001 said...

Although most of this is out of our control it seems you have everything under control. Glad to hear you are doing well, planning fun stuff and preparing yet avoiding the craziness.

We are happy to be along on your journey and yes it is wonderful that we have each other - it means the world to us and helps us through the good & the bad days!!

Smiles & hugs
Darlene

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Hey chickie, I'm still out here, cheering you along. Just when we think we have this thing "figured out", we hit another fork in the road and neither path seems logical. There is no doubt that your yoga and your spirituality will help you get through the tough times, but you know you can ALWAYS vent to me. We know how fortunate we are to have come this far, and we feel angst for you as you deserve to be here right along side of us. Hang in there, girlfriend.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Sounds like you've got a lot of great plans for the summer. Keeping busy helps the time pass more quickly, even though it's still tough to wait. Remember that we had one week's notice before out expected arrival in Kazakhstan, so you may find yourself there in May afterall. Who knows?

By the way, I hate when people say things about adoption being easier than pregnancy. I've been told on more than one occasion that our adoption process sounds like "almost as much trouble as having a baby," to which I wanted to reply, "Obviously having a baby isn't THAT difficult: after all, YOU did it." I've never been pregnant, so I can't make such comparisons, but I suspect that adoption is a lot more trying than a typical pregnancy; it sure as heck takes a lot longer than 40 weeks! If someone's never been though the adoption process, they need to keep their obnoxious comments to themselves. Sorry, I just wanted to vent about that.

Have fun on your fieldtrip!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Just know that when you go to bring Baby Kaz home, we will ALL be cheering you on like nothing you've ever seen before. In the meantime, enjoy your summer plans!
:-) Hugs from AZ...

Karen said...

Your mother sounded like a very groovy lady--sorry she isn't here to see how wonderful you are as a mother, wife and friend. I'm constantly amazed how your beautiful and encouraging comments on everyone's blogs. (And I do mean everyone.) You are the ultimate cheerleader. We all can't wait to cheer you on once you finally get that darn LOI.

We love your enthusiasm--keep the faith sweetie.

Big hugs,
Karen

Lori said...

Have fun in St. Augustine! Keeping busy is best...we are in the same boat...just waiting.

Lori

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Susan - great to see a new update. I am thinking good thoughts that the timing for you to go to Kaz works in your favor (with Sean going with you two in the Summer).

I've so enjoyed chatting with you and getting to know you. The blogs have been very helpful and such a great support system in this whole process. I value the people we've grown close to.

Hugs to you,
Eileen

Gretchen said...

I hope you hear some mews soon. I know the wait is hard. Luckily I wasn't into blogging all that much when I was waiting. It seems harder in some respects to have so much info on other families but at the same time helpful too.

You seem to be handling it well. Your Mom sounds like an amazing person, just like you. I can see where you get it from.

Tricia said...

What great plans you have for the summer. Sounds like fun. You will feel rested and ready for baby Kaz. What timing for that comment from Steinmart lady. Little does she know. Good thing you are very Zen right now.

Tricia said...

I forgot to say...sending the love right back at ya. Tricia

Stacy said...

I know that it seems that your time will never come, but it will and then all of this emotional stuff will be a distant memory!! At least you are getting to travel alot this summer! When and where in Arkansas are you going. I am not far from there you know about 2 hours!!

Keep your chin way up high, your time will come and then we will all marvel over the timing of Baby Kaz!!

Oh and your mom sounded like a wonderful lady. Man 42 that is wasy to young. I can't even imagine my life without mine!! Your are strong!

Catalina said...

Dear Susan, thank you very much for your comments in my blog and the words of encouragements. I really wet through very tough time last week, now I feel much better and since I found out I am going to meet my children, I feel full of energy and enthusiasm.
I was so impressed to hear about your mom, I think is really rare for a mother to teach her children yoga. I liked a lot what she wrote on the back of the pictures, these are memories will always stay with us. I am sure you got your balanced personality from her.
Sounds like the summer is going to be lots of fun. Time will pass fast and in no time you will be in Kaz. I wish there was a way to compress the waiting time, but doing fun things, blogging and spending time with your family and friends will definetely help. Your day will come at the right time you know this better than I do - you are much more patient than I was). Until then, waiting for updates from your fun summer....
PS. I have a feeling that you will leave sometimes before August.
Many hugs,
Catalina

Regina said...

Oh Susan, you are amazing. We love you too...really! You are such a caring and thoughtful person whose personality and kind soul comes through -- even in cyberspace. I always look forward to your sincere and creative comments and e-mails. They always make my day.

I know it's hard watching everyone go, and thinking that you may actually be able to use those boots. When it finally does happen for you, there will be a chorus of cheers heard round the world from all the people out here who care about you and support you.

Your mother sounds like a wonderfully cool person, and I'm sure she is very proud of the woman you've become. I know I would be.

xoxo,
Regina

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Sounds like some wonderful plans for the summer - with any luck, they won't happen that way. There seems no greater way to egg on the adoption process than to make alternative timeframe commitments.

There is definitely something perverse about timing. You can go months with an open calendar, but make plans, and mischievously the phone rings and the mailbox fills. Here's hoping you filled your calendar enough to garner their attention. Take Care.

Steve, KJ, and Tougy

Monica said...

Hoping your busy summer plans get all messed up with some international travel that takes precedence!

I hope you'll share that pic of your Mom with us. It's really sad to have to miss her for so long. I do KNOW that she's looking in and so happy to see how wonderfully you're doing. I have a new sense of this since it has only been almost a year since my Grandmother passed away. She really was like a Mom to me and I have new appreciation for just how MUCH you can miss someone.

{{{hugs to you}}}
Monica

Aaron and Julie said...

And you are special & loved by us :)

Have a fabulous Mother's Day weekend - you are in my thoughts!

Have fun in St. Augustine next week!!

Chris & Christy said...

We love you too Susan!

Christy :)

**You can't let those great boots go to waste.

Kim said...

I absolutely LOVE the quote! It is so perfect and true! I may have to borrow that for Two Hearts. :)

The $25 baggage rule is insane. On the way back from Disney we had to pay for Josh's bag because he was a lap child. His bag probably weighed 10 pounds, what a rip off!

I love your reply to the lady at Steinmart. It is hard to see some go before you but it just makes your journey that more special when it does happen, and it will!

Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds like she was the coolest, I would have loved hanging out with her!

And I can't wait to hang out with you again ;-)

Happy Mother's Day!

Love, Shannon

Kelly and Sne said...

Susan, I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your support as we embark on our journey. I know that it is hard to watch others go before you - it feels like time is marching on without you. And it is good that you are being realistic about your expectations - but don't get too lax as we knew May but were expecting end of May and certainly were expecting to have more than a day or two to prepare to go! Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans!

So, enjoy your Summer knowing that you daughter will be united with your family in due time!

Jennifer said...

I love you too Susan, but I hope you already know that! :-)

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. It's something I can't even imagine, though I admit, it's been on my mind lately for who knows why.

Sounds like you have a fun packed summer, wow! We're just planing on working on the house to get it sparkling! How boring! I can't wait till Gigi is old enough to go to camp. I hope she'll love it!

I find it interesting that God is working on both of us right now to bring us the peace and reassurance (and strength) we need to handle the unknowns in our families and our lives. It sure will be nice when we have answers some day! :-)