Sunday, May 18, 2008

"Suzy Sunshine"survived St Augustine!!






We had a GREAT trip to St. Augustine and we totally lucked out weather wise. I didn't even NEED to wear the "forbidden" tank tops because it wasn't even hot! The humidity disappeared for the 4th graders and chaperones on this trip! I ended up buying some cute new "closed toed shoes" for day 1, since we were climbing 219 steps up to the lighthouse, because my running shoes just do not look cute with capri's. I was worried they'd be comfy, but I didn't need to. For just $12.99-they were really comfy and super cute!!! I got many compliments to boot. :) They don't call me a Steinmart "Bou" lady for nothin!! I also did NOT get in trouble for talking. In fact, Sean's teacher dubbed me "Suzy Sunshine" at one point. I was a model chaperone.




I remember when we signed up for this trip to St. Augustine-I think it was last November. I asked Joe if he could take off work to watch the baby. He gave me a weird look and said "but we don't have a baby". I said, BUT WE WILL! Baby Kaz will be home with us by next May!!!! My ever pragmatic husband told me to sign the form, and if we had a baby, we'd deal with it when the time came. It's almost comical really, as I totally thought we'd be done with the adoption process by now. Instead, we just had (on May 9th) our one year anniversary of signing the contract with our adoption agency and now are are looking at having to redo our dossier, plus our home study! However, we did get one piece of what could be news about possible travel. Remember that our dossier was originally sent to Astana in Febuary and we were told we would travel soon. Then, the next day, Astana "closed" so we were sent to Kostanai. Kostanai seems to be pretty backed up right now, with several families waiting to adopt there but right now, no children available for adoption. Well, Astana is BACK OPEN! I hope that our dossier can be transferred back there. I am not sure, but I sure hope so. I had heard from someone else that the MOE lady in Astana doesn't like when that happens (when people transfer out of their region to Astana) but since Astana was our "original destination", and if it hadn't been moved, we'd still be in line there. I know we'll go when we're supposed to go and where, but I've had my concerns about Kostanai so we'll just see.



The trip was very educational and really interesting. We had been there before, but it was when Sean was just finishing kindergarten so it'd been awhile. The class did great and were super smart in answering all the questions. I was very proud of them! Sean is a huge history buff, so he was amazing me answering questions about dates and events. His teacher told me she wants to see him as a history professor at Harvard or Princenton. I told her we just need to get thru the last 2 weeks of 4th grade at this point. :)




11 comments:

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Suzy Sunshine it is then. Selfishly we hope you get switched back to Astana. It would be great to see a family back there and I think you all would enjoy the city. Time will tell. Take Care.

Steve, KJ, and Tougy

Karen said...

You are the Steimart 'bou lady--very stylish indeed. I think a fashionista like you needs to adopt in Astana. Think of all the shopping you can do--and just how far your tenge will go. :-)

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

Jealous! Looked like a fun time. I'm so proud of you for behaving so well!!
xoxo

Alysa said...

Hey Suzy Sunshine! Sounds like a great time was had by all and you behaved. And you had stylin' shoes to boot!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get transferred back to Astana very soon.

Julian and Sara said...

Suzy Sunshine... How funny! Glad you had a good time and that Sean is such a fan of history. Wish I'd paid more attention to it at that age.

Sara

Tricia said...

Great news about Astana. That looks like a cool city. Hey, maybe if you get moved up and over to Astana we will wind up being in Kaz at the same time! Glad you were good on your trip and didn't get sent to the principal for bad behavior! It looks nice there. Cute shoes.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Wonderful news about Astana!!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they will transfer your paperwork to Astana.

Wow....Suzy Sunshine - you're stylin'! I'm very jealous about your side trip there with Sean.

Keep us posted on any updates!
Eileen

Kelly and Sne said...

What a fun trip - and someone needed to add some style to the crew - might as well be you!

I know the feeling about thinking you'd be done by a certain date. We thought for sure we'd be back at least a month or two before kazapalooza.

Hope that a potential region switch works to your favor and you get over there sooner rather than later. I'm anxious to start reading about YOUR trip now!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Glad you had fun and didn't get in trouble!!

Angela said...

See - Sean's teacher discovered what we have known all along - you ARE Suzy Sunshine.

Thank goodness you left the dreaded fit flops at home. Luca would love your shoes - he loves anything with stars. They ARE cute.

St. Augustine looks really cool. I am glad the weather was nice and the kids were smart and good. What could be better? I actually have family in St. Augustine. Someday we will make it down to Florida for a Kazakhstan adoption tour. My family has a condo in Ft. Myers beach. Maybe next spring when we are all home, settled and bonded (LOL).

Click your heals and say there is no place like Astana . . . there's no place like Astana. I SO hope you go to Astana!

Jennifer said...

How on earth did I miss this post?!? I was checking your site (like I do every day), and scrolled down to turn off the music (I'm actually watching a meeting at work and needed to hear it- imagine that!), and noticed pictures I've never seen. Gasp!!

Now I know why you sounded like I was crazy when I asked if you were going on the trip. :-)

I'm glad it the trip went well. 'Suzy Sunshine' cracks me up. I truly hope you go to Astana, and that you get there fast, but you already know that!