Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Tank Tops, No open toed shoes...are you serious??




I have no update on when we're going to Kaz-so, let's talk about something else.

We are going on a big OVERNIGHT 4th grade field trip on May 15th to St. Augustine. It's the OLDEST CITY EVER, and has TONS of Florida history. In 4th grade, the kids learn ALL about Florida history, so this trip is a great way to end the year with a bang. The bus leaves Thursday morning at 6 am. (oh my) Today, we had a meeting for all chaperones about the trip and the RULES. Apparently, this is a very busy time for the sleepy lil town of St. Augustine where they are descened upon by THOUSANDS of 4th graders. {I am thinking that is their version of Pure Hell, ha ha). So, Sean's teacher explained that there will be TONS and TONS of 4th graders from all over Florida and that this is like a "tour on speed". Once we get to St. Augustine, we will get a catered lunch from Subway.The lunch is a turkey sammich with Mayo. If our children don't like that, bring them a granola bar or powerbar from home. There is not enough time to go anywhere else before the first tour. I didn't want to ask if that mayo was "on the side" cuz I hate mayo. Anyway...I can live with that.
As they went over the rules, they said NO OPEN TOED SHOES because we are climbing up a zillion stairs of this lighthouse and they don't allow you in unless you have close toed shoes. I know that's a safety thing, but I LIVE IN MY FIT FLOPS. They're so comfy and so cute. Then, I noticed it said No tank tops and no short shorts and no shirt skirts. I'm down with the no short shorts, but NO TANK TOPS? We live in Florida, and it's hot. So, I raised my hand and asked. Well, I was told, that's the school's rule. They won't tell US what to wear but the kids can't wear them. I said, oh, that's fine, it's just that I HAVE REALLY CUTE JEWELED TANK TOPS FROM STEINMART. I think the teachers think I'm a real pita. Then, they said, the kids look for us to be role models and no talking on the tours. There is so much to hear and see that if they see us talking, they're not likely to listen either. Then, I felt everyone was looking at ME. They also said, NO alcohol, and none in your suitcase. I would not bring any in my suitcase, but a cold beer with dinner would be nice. However, it's not allowed and that's ok too.

So, No cute fit flops, no bejeweled tank tops, no talking, and no beer with dinner after the tour on speed. Doesn't that sound like fun? I am sure it will be really fun, and I'll be with Sean, who is most always fun. Plus, I have lots of good friends going, but, of course, we can't talk.

The last overnight field trip I chaperoned was Jillian's high school trip to New York City. We saw a bunch of broadway shows, etc. I got in trouble from her teacher there too because we were trying to "break the rules" and take some kids back to the hotel to get some warm, dry clothes because we got POURED on during the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. We were pulled aside by the teacher and got the "You are role models" lecture. I thought she was being unreasonable but we complied. I'm such a troublemaker!!!

I will save my bejeweled tanks for Kaz, unless, of course, we don't go until winter now. I still have my boots, and my cold weather stuff, so, I'm set no matter what the season.

19 comments:

Kim said...

Awww so sorry you can't bust out the tank tops or flip flops. I am with you on the flip flops, wore mine today in the pouring rain. Love them!

Have a great time!

Angela said...

I took notice around the part where you wrote "tour on speed." YIKES. Promise me you won't take any of my classes ;)! I have enough unrulies who don't want to follow directions by wearing flip flops and tank tops and drinking beer and talking. Hahahahaha!

But, it does sound like fun!

Tricia said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (maybe you know already?), but our agency said that shorts aren't acceptable out in public in Kaz. The little old babushkas will give you a whipping if you wear them. LOL! So I'm wondering what they think about tanks and open toed shoes? Have fun on your trip! I've always wanted to go there.

Thad and Ann said...

what a pain in the rear, I can understand the shoes if there is alot of climbing but what the heck on the no tank tops...I live in those here in IN during the summer!
Hope you have fun. :)

Joby and Marla said...

I totally agree with you about the flip flops. I wear mine unless it is freezing & then I wear UGGs. Hey, breaking the rules is what makes life fun!!!!!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Okay Susan, I have to ask - Where do you find all of those theme supporting graphics. It seems nearly every post of yours has something like the no flip flops graphic and the Hell on Earth headline.

What are your sources? You make it look effortless, but I'm sure it must take a lot of time and searching to do what you do. Thanks for the effort, it really dresses things up in a way that is fun.

Good luck surviving the code enforcers. It should be good practice for Kaz. Playing nice is one of the biggest challenges while visiting your child at the baby house. The rules, expectations and norms can be infuriating. Hope all is well in FL. Take Care.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Try not to be a rebel, Susan! Seriously though, no flip flops or tank tops? I'd go crazy too.
Especially when you had the most perfect tank all picked out. I can empathize :-)

Aaron and Julie said...

We have gone from 100 degrees to 60 degrees over the course of 24 hours and I am still in flip flops. I'm sorry you can't wear them on the trip :(. All the rules aside, I know you guys will have a great time :)

Chrissy and Russell said...

Oh, so you're one of those "difficult" parents, eh? One of those flip-flop-wearing, jewelled-tank-top-loving, mayo-hating parents?

(ha ha - just kidding) Actually, I'd say you're one of those incredibly brave parents, to take on a tour of St. Augustine with a zillion 4th graders! Wow! You guys will have a great time, I'm sure!

Catalina said...

How much fun, Susan! Rules are made to be broken, rebel mom! I cant wait to go in this kind of trips with many 4th graders. You will really enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Just don't tell that story to the judge in Kaz ;-)

Vera told me a bunch of LOI's are being processed in Kostanai for August........... FYI

Jennifer said...

You crack me up! I love your pita comment. I laughed out loud at that one.

You know what? I don't think you'd do very well back in grade school. So many rules... :-)

I was recently suprised by the closed toe thing too. Gigi's school sent home a memo saying that now that the nice weather is starting to come, we're sending out a bunch of rules. One of them was the shoes. I was thinking, "But, but, but... I just bought her these really cute Teva's!!" Alas, for the 'safety of the children,' they will only be for non-school use. Bummer!! Not to mention, her little tootsies are going to be baking and sweating in socks and sneakers in 85 degree heat. :-( Oh well. They've probably never had an instance of death-by-hot-feet at school so I shouldn't be concerned about it.

Regina said...

First of all, you are SO going to get into trouble on that field trip. I wish I could be right there with you causing a commotion! You should wear a mumu and nun shoes. ;-)

Secondly, I am so bummed that you don't know when you're going to Kaz! I really hope it's not as long as next winter, but at least you kept your cold weather gear just in case. Hang in there, tiger.

Kelly and Sne said...

All work and no play makes Susan a cranky Mom! I'm sure you'll make the most of it. We'll make up for any shortcomings in St. Augstine here in Kaz shooting Kaz vodka shots!

Karen said...

I would die to wear flip-flops and jeweled tank tops. Honestly, I don't think it'll ever warm up this spring (tomorrow the forecast calls for snow once again).

But the truth is, you're a party onto yourself with or without a cold beer. Have fun with all the kiddos. (And try to stay out of trouble. LOL)

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I think individuality is to be celebrated!!! I'm sure you will have a great time despite having to follow the rules.
Enjoy.

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

I agree, you are totally going to get in trouble and you know it, so don't even try and fight it.

BTW, thanks for all the good advice this week. I'll see you Wednesday.

Love you Ma,

Chrissy and Russell said...

Susan - thanks for your comment on my blog! You are so sweet!!!!! I'm glad you had a good church retreat this weekend... sometimes those things come at exactly the right time - just when we need them. I hope you got some comfort and inspiration out of the weekend.

Have you guys been to St. Augustine yet? Did you cause a ruckus in your tank top and flip flops? We expect to see pictures of this event, you know...

Julian and Sara said...

Too funny! Don't worry, you can still wear the tank tops in Kaz in the winter - they are perfect for the temps in the baby house!