Thursday, April 24, 2008

"Pure Hell"



Since today is a day of frustration and sadness among many wonderful fellow blogger PAP's after delays, price increases for summer travel, etc, I thought I'd post something unrelated to this adoption journey we're all on and perhaps give everyone something to smile about. The frustration level we all feel is VERY real and we all wish we'd started this process sooner before it become more difficult. Some days, it is does feel like "pure hell" (pardon my french).

Today was "Bring you child to work day". I work part time as a "Boutique lady" at Steinmart. It's a fun job, as I Love to shop and help people shop. Sean really wanted to go, as when I worked full time at a huge corporate Fortune 500 company, it always fell during the week his school took their SAT achievement tests, so he could never go. I was hesitant, just because of the amount of work the poor kid would miss and have to make up. After this weekend of working on his paper for 8 hours, I do not relish another weekend of THAT. However, his teacher assured us that he could make up the work and it was a good day to do this.
Robin, one of my dear friends I've met at Steinmart, coordinated the event. She is a super neat lady, an adoptive mom of 3 herself. There were about 10 kids participating, which is great, as our store is small.

Sean started off in the shoe department, and everytime I walked by, he was working hard. Of course, I was admonished by my co-workers to "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" (LOL) but I wanted to make sure he was behaving. We had 2 lil 7 year old girls in our department at the time and they were just big goofballs. They kept running ( I kept saying USE YOUR WALKING FEET LADIES) and they were LOUD. I have to say, the boys did much better. Anyhow...I digress.
Around 12:30, Sean came running over (walking feet, Sean, Walking feet) and said "Mom-this is PURE HELL!!!" I was like, WHAT?? Watch your language!! He and the other 10 year old boy were in "linens" and the lady there had them unstocking towels and folding them. I guess there were a lot and Sean said while they worked she went in the breakroom. LOL . He said they folded them all and put them on the shelf and then she came out and told them they had to do it all over because the print wasn't showing. I was laughing so hard. He survived, they redid it, then had pizza lunch. Then, he worked in receiving, and the men's department. When it was time to go, he wanted to stay. He had a fun day. He also got a cerficate of completion to show his teacher AND a 20% off coupon to give to his teacher. He said he's not giving it to her because she is mean. She is NOT mean, she is nice, so he is giving it to her.

So, I suppose my moral of the story is that "pure hell" can be defined differently for each of us. To some, parenting children at all would be "pure hell". To others, imagining life without children is "pure hell". To others, the adoption process is surely 'Pure hell" until "heaven" is revealed when they are matched with the perfect child for their family. The process is not easy, and tensions can run high. Not only is the wait hard, the trip is long, and it's not cheap. It's not like you have to wait to go on a 2 week trip, it's coming close to a 3 month trip.

We all have our days of "pure hell" with the mean lady in linens telling us to redo our towels. May we realize how much prettier those towels look with the print showing, and how when we DO get to Kaz, and home again, we will fondly remember our "Hellacious road" to "Heaven" and encourage others to remain steadfast and strong.
Peace be with you fellow PAP's..Peace be with you.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story, Susan. This has been a pretty hellish week for many (does the full moon have anything to do with it?) but you have put it into perspective.

Love ya,
Shannon

Regina said...

Remember as a kid pressing the numbers 7734 on a calculator and turning it upside down to reveal the word hell? I just did that.

But where would we be without our fellow blogger friends to support us throughout these hellish weeks?

Thanks for the great story. You should give Sean the chore of towel-folding from now on!

Aaron and Julie said...

As always, great insight! Peace be with you as well as you remain steadfast & strong :)

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I'm glad Sean got to go to work with you this time and ended up having fun once those towels were folded the second time. I like the way you related his hell to yours and noted that there was a happy ending to his story as there will be to yours.

Sean, I have some towels and other clothes that need folding. Interested?

marsrob said...

You are hilarious and that is a GREAT post! Yes, peace be with everyone as they endure such craziness.

Joby and Marla said...

Great story!!! I am sure Sean will tell his kids about this adventure when he gets older!!!
Marla

Jennifer said...

Very good story, with an awesome end and message! I love the "walking feet ladies" comment, and Sean's comment at folding towels. I was laughing here too. Everything is so relative.

Kim said...

What a great post! You are all in my prayers.

Catalina said...

Great story :).
Many hugs,
Catalina

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Great post! Yes, one day this hellacious process will be done for you and you will be sitting home with little Kaz girl and you'll remember fondly all that you went through to bring her home. And I promise you, that day will come....
And how did I never know that you worked at Steinmart. I LOVE that store. Love it!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Ha ha ha! Yes, I can imagine that folding towels in general can be pure hell for a 10-year-old boy. Heck, I don't really enjoy it all that much! In fact, a point of contention between Sne and me is that I refuse to fold his t-shirts when I do the laundry (there are a ton of them, they are all inside out to begin and he wants them done in a particular way). This reminds me of a Sartre novel or something - very existentialist - that everyone defines their own hell and each one is unique. For me, 1st adoption process setbacks and hassles (paperwork!); 2nd folding Sne's t-shirts!

Thanks for the alternate perspective!

Matthew Ruley said...

hey checking in. missed reading your posts and pics of you and family!

email me at mattruley@yahoo.com and I'll get back to you. the internet to so darn (pardon french) slow here!

I hope the age legislation does not affect you, that would be terrible, terrible, terrible.

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Oh it is all so very true. We certainly had our tough days back in the process, but they are getting hazier and hazier and when KJ asks Tougy "Where's Daddy?" and that amazing bundle of Kazak goodness looks up at me and smiles - I melt. What can be better than that.

In time your Princess will cast that same mind erasing spell upon you and these days will get blurry as you know.

At times it seems as though the customs officer in Boston must have had one of those Men in Black stare at the stick things, because from that point forward, all that came before was softened.

I am sure your customs agent will have one as well. Take Care.

Angela said...

What a fantastic story! Susan, the perpetual voice of reason and understanding. Thank goodness we all know you!

And, you are right, it is all relative. I was thinking today about not attaching a value judgement to anything - just seeing whatever it is for what it is. It is all in the interpretation isn't it? Or even the lack of interpretation.

And, Sean just cracks me up!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

Great post. We just need to keep the faith!

Monica said...

You are in my prayers... I hope all works out for you. You just HAVE to go to kaz for your little one. You were one of the first Kaz bloggers I found and I'm so wishing that it all turns out okay for you and that you get a beautiful child to enjoy that quilt and rug!
Keep us posted!
{{{hugs}}}

Chris & Christy said...

Ugh! I am so sorry that there have been so many families getting pushed back from travel, prices are increasing, yahoo board posts are stressful, etc.

When you are feeling down, just log into your own blog and listen to ' Our God is an Awesome God,' and it might put you back on a high note. :)

Christy