Monday, March 10, 2008

Anxiety Dreams, PART DEUX



{Picture was appropriate for my dream, it was a few years ago before my very first triathlon, which I was very prepared for!!)

Well, I am grateful for all the feedback from my fellow adoptive parents, that anxiety dreams are NORMAL, because I had another weird dream last night. The only good thing is that it makes me glad when my alarm goes off at 5 even when I don't really want to get up and run. :)

Ok, before I forget it, here is my dream.

Sandi and Shannon were coming to get me for "swim practice". Sandi was driving a bus. I went out to get in the bus, but I realized I didn't have my swim suit or my goggles. So, I asked them to wait and I went back in my house to find them. Of course, it took me forever to find my swim suit and goggles. Joe was leaving for work and Sean was like, "Mom, where are you going" I said, oh, just to swim practice. You won't be alone long" (I never leave Sean alone, he's not really old enough yet and he's a big chicken anyway). Before long, Sandi and Shannon knock on the door because I am taking so long. They come in, along with a bunch of other people (I guess the people on the bus). They were checking out my house and checking out the baby's room.
I guess we missed swim practice, because we all were just sitting around talking. I think we were getting pedicures. We were talking about how we were running the Chicago marathon the next day. I said, well, I am NOT at all trained for this, I haven't run further than 13 miles, I Hope I get thru it. (It's very unlike me, I ALWAYS prepare for marathons, some people can "wing" it, but I sure can't. If I don't do the miles, I wouldn't do the marathon) Then, I'm leaving for the airport, and I'M LEAVING SEAN HOME BY HIMSELF. I told him, I'll just be in Chicago for the marathon, just call me if you get scared. Then ,I'm at the airport and I'm realizing I forgot my goggles and my swim suit, and wondering how i'm going to have time before the marathon to get these things.
Then my alarm went off! YAY! SAVED BY THE BELL! Except, since when do you run a marathon in goggles and a bathing suit....


This one was a lot easier to analyze. I'm not feeling prepared, and "expect the unexpected", hence the bathing suit for the marathon? Sandi and Shannon have both arrived safely and in Kaz and will be meeting their daughters tomorrow.
They seem relaxed, excited, and happy. However, back home, their friend is a wreck!!
However, I do see a lot of parallel's between training for an event like a triathlon or marathon, and this adoption process. You get your training program, and you follow it for many weeks to get yourself ready for the event. You follow your dossier checklist from you agency in putting all that stuff together. You may have to modify your training program due to injury or illness or just life getting in the way. You made have to unexpectedly update or apostille a new document, or find a new doctor whose license doesn't expire, or even have the region closed you were told you were going to, or your dossier may get stuck at the MFA for 4 months, just like you could be waylaid in training by any number of things. However, when the day comes, you are prepared. You got up so many early mornings and sweated your butt off to prepare yourself for this day. However, many a time, I was at the starting line, and wanted to cry, because I was scared. I didn't think I was ready, what was I thinking. But, low and behold, I was ready, I got thru it, I had fun, and the race was a wonderful event that made me feel empowered and confident.
I still vividly remember when I turned 40, my goal was do an olmypic distance triathlon (.9 mile swim, 24 mile bike, and a 10k (6.2 mile) run. I signed up, but I was scared to death. I got my training program, and started. I was ready, but that morning, lining up at Disney before the .9 mile swim, I was FREAKED OUT. I looked over at Joe and SEan and said "I can't do this!! I want to quit!!!" I seriously wanted to throw up. But, the horn blew and off I went. It was fun-I was fine, and I blew away the goal I had set for myself by 20 minutes. Sigh, now I wish I still had that drive to be in such good shape. :)

With regards to Baby Kaz, I'm still in the scared phase. I've been lined up at that starting line for several months now. I know I don't want to quit, but I'm ready for the empowered and confident stage. I dont think that will happen until I land in the good ole USA with my daughter and walk out with her (not one of my borrowed friends babies, but MY DAUGHTER) in HER Ergo. :)



Oh well, I'm sure I can entertain Baby Kaz with all these stories one day, right?

27 comments:

Thad and Ann said...

I'm sorry you are having these dreams, they are so normal. With both adoptions I would have these crazy/scary dreams. To the point of waking up in a cold sweat. And I have now progressed to having dreams where I lose the boys or something terrible happens to them. That comes from watching too many crime TV shows, LOL. May is only a month & a half away. :)

Joby and Marla said...

Hey, I can sooo relate to you and your dream. My dossier has gone to translation & I have become much more anxious over the adoption process. I guess I was too busy collecting paper before. Maybe it is the knowledge of being closer to the finish line but also knowing anything can jump in the way & side track the process.
Marla

Matthew Ruley said...

I think no matter how prepared you can be for anything, you always doubt that you are ready. You never feel prepared until you have done it once.

I know you are ready, prepared and will be the BEST mom! You are so much fun and so prepared, dont doubt yourself.

I relate to your dream. I've read the books, I've packed and repacked the suitcase, I've hemmed and hawed about the waiit and the process, and yet, I have serious butterflies about it.

I think fear is what makes us human.

Gretchen said...

For me, the anxiety would increase as we were coming up on significant milestones. Sometimes when submitting papers, writing big checks, getting on the plane, I would think about backing out. I just kept plowing ahead no matter what and look what it got me. The cutest Kaz cutie in the world! :)

I kept saying to myself, nothing good ever comes easy. The best things in life are hard to come by and you have to struggle and work hard to get them. You already know that lesson. Hats of to you for the marathon training. I couldn't do it. :)

Trudi said...

You are so creative - it is wonderful the way you are working out your normal anxieties! You might be interested that professionals say water in dreams is the metaphor for the unconcious -- so it seems to me you are working hard on the anxities that are at the subconcious level - a very healthy thing to do!

Jennifer said...

Wow, you're having some real doozies of a dreamworld.

When you said, "However, when the day comes, you are prepared. You got up so many early mornings and sweated your butt off to prepare yourself for this day." I followed it up with an, "Amen Sista!"

Except... well... I was so exhausted when I finally got on that plane that I had no idea whether I was ready or not. My emotions and mental capacity were both severely limited!! And I'll be completely honest- after our first visit with Gigi, that's when I looked frantically to Jim and cried, "I can't do this!! I want to quit!!!" I didn't say the exact words "I want to quit" of course, but the whole process was so darn overwhelming, and for a person who was slow to warm to the idea of having children, and then all of a sudden, I had a real, live, breathing one all of my own, and I hers... well... that's when all the stress of the "training" came crashing down on me. Like you said so perfectly though, once you start, it's all good! Rockin' and rollin'!

Kelly and Sne said...

Our philosophy is that the "berries taste sweetest on top of the mountain (or at the end of 26.2 I suppose)" which is also fitting for an international adoption. I have to admit - somewhat like a marathon - that the last part is the worst. This waiting is driving me nuts - we can't plan anything - nor even buy groceries - for more than 5 days out.... and we've been living like this for over a month now! AAARRRGGGHHH! Though, surprisingly I haven't had any anxiety dreams... I guess I'm living enough of it during the day!

Angela said...

This has become very real for you since you are dreaming about it so much. Someone told me dreams are a way to work things out. I think this is how you are prepping for one of the biggest events of your life - meeting your little girl.

Angela said...

Those paper pregnancy hormones are just crazy, aren't they? Ha Ha.

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

Ma, you've gotta chill out! I know you're excited and anxious and your head is about to explode. You need to hang out with Dad more and let some of his chilled out vibes run through you...or take more yoga, or, yanno, I know a guy that knows a guy that can get you some stuff to chill you out, haha.

Love you!!

Regina said...

Hey, maybe all the "people on the bus" were all of us fellow bloggers!

I have moments when I'm scared and anxious too. Not just about the process and timing, but parenthood as well. At least you've got one of those down pat!

I can totally see myself (and Frank) on the way to the baby house and getting that panicky feeling that we don't want to go through with it! It's such a big, big, big thing. I try to think about it from the orphanage workers' perspectives to help me keep a balanced view. We're just another family out of hundreds of families they've seen come in with pale and panicky faces, and leave with an amazing child in their arms and a huge sigh of relief. It happens all the time for them, and is not really a big deal. They probably giggle in the back rooms about how terrified we all are!

Nevertheless, there are very good reasons for our fears. But they say that courage is not being unafraid, but it is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

I hope your dreams turn sweeter, and that you embrace your fears just enough to be able to let them go.

Nighty-Night,
Regina

Tricia said...

That about sums it up. At the starting line, scared, and realizing the enormity of it all. But we can do it, too. Look at all of those people ahead of us who have made it! Your mac and cheese dream was a trip :) Tricia

Catalina said...

Susan, just so you know, while you were analysing dreams and doing OMs for me, I had my first Kaz beer thinking of you(OK, just a sip - since I fall asleep if I drink alcohol) - but I did taste it and it is not very strong, IT TASTES GOOD! So, hurry up LOI! Dont worry! You can never be ready enough! You will be the best MOM!

Catalina said...

I love your wedding pictures! Very foxy!!

Catalina said...

Happy Anniversary!

Catalina said...

Happy Anniversary!

Catalina said...

Happy Anniversary!

Catalina said...

Happy Anniversary!

Patrick & Eileen said...

As you can tell from our blog....we're nesting and we're waiting. We have no idea about anything really. I *know* we're not prepared as we should be for upcoming travels. I am scared about being a first time mom too. I'm glad to see that being scared about this process and what is before us is normal.

Eileen

Kim said...

Your "awesome step daughter" cracks me up! "I know a guy who knows a guy....TOO FUNNY!" I do hope your dreams are less frequent and you can get some good nights of sleep, before you won't be sleeping for other reasons. :)

Kim said...

BTW - I totally downloaded that Awesome God song to my iTunes, I love it!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

The crazy dreams are totally normal.... They do exactly what you said they do- provide great stories to tell Baby Kaz one day, after you've walked off the plane with her in her Ergo carrier :-)

Chris & Christy said...

Okay, so who the other people on the bus then? Were they us, your bus load full of adoptive friends from the internet? :)

You amaze me! I can't believe you actually enjoy training for and doing a triatholon. You are crazy girl! :) You have to be in the best shape of anyone!!!

Maybe you need to drink some good wine before bed, might that help calm your dreams? Just an excuse to drink wine perhaps. :)

Christy

Karen said...

You are too funny. These dreams of yours would make great children's books. Just wait till you get to Kaz--then your dreams will really get wild!!!!

Laura said...

Those are some crazy dreams for sure! Everything you are experiencing is completely normal. It's hard not to be nervous, anxious, excited, and so many other emotions when going through the adoption process. Hoping that you get to leave soon to meet your child!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Have you had any more crazy dreams? How are you feeling today?

Just saying hello :)

Take care,
Eileen

Angela said...

Don't worry, your confidence will return the day you get the LOI and have to get on that plane. You'll be amazed at the strength you'll get when you see your daughter for the first time.

I admire your discipline - a triathlon, are you kidding me? That is awesome!