Saturday, January 12, 2008

Proud Mom! Go Sean!!!





I wanted to dedicate a post to future big brother to Baby Kaz, "my baby", Sean. He brought home a GREAT report card yesterday. I have posted before about the trials and tribulations of adjusting to 4th grade. I had heard from other parents that 4th grade was a big change, and, let me tell you, they were right!!! The work gets a lot more involved, requires more thought, focus, and time. The homework requires much more "focus", and "focus" and "homework" aren't really jivin with Sean's personality. :) He actually has "projects" that he has to do, that we get well in advance. Of course, it's hard to convince a kid to start on a project that's not due for another few weeks, but if you don't, you will be sorry! They assign them far in advance because they take FOREVER, and it's hard for a child of this age (especially an active boy, like Sean) to sit still and focus for longer than, about 5 minutes.
Fourth grade is also the first year they get letter grades...no more V's and G's and S's, it's A, B, C, D and F now!! Our first report card, he did fine, he made honor roll, with all B's and one A. I was proud of him but I told him I thought he could do better. Of course, the response was "Mom, I am a B Student, there is NOTHING wrong with B's, you just think I should be perfect, I'm NOT PERFECT MOM"
However, I kept on him about doing his best and being neater and focusing. I pulled out his report card yesterday and he did awesome! He turned that around and he got all A's and 2 B+'s! His teacher (who he thinks is mean, but I don't) wrote the nicest thing. I couldn't even read it, I started crying. Sean grabbed it and read it outloud to me since I was a blubbering crybaby. "Sean amazes me with his knowledge of the world around him. HE is maturing academically and starting to proofread and check over his work. We continue to work on pace and finishing work. Good job on Honor Roll!
I can tell Sean is very proud of himself. He called his Dad at work and got his voicemail and read him his report card and said, how bout that Dad, GO me, go Sean!

On another note, we met one of my best friends and her husband and son today at our favorite donut shop. Sean LOVES MacCaiden, their son. He picked out one of his stuffed animals to give to him, and brought his report card to show them to discuss his "qualifications" to babysit MacCaiden. He really loves to play with MacCaiden and he wants to start babysitting. I told him that 9 is too young, but he can start playing with him and maybe helping out when they are home and have stuff to do. Mac is an adorable 16 month old little boy and he is BUSY BUSY BUSY. He never sits still. It warms my heart to see Sean interact with him. I think he is going to the best big brother to baby Kaz. The other day he asked if he could help dress her, and how much fun I was going to have because I will like to dress her like a "little doll". He asked me how I thought we should do her hair .He is already talking about her learning to write her name and how hopefully her kindergarten teacher will let her write her nickname if her first name has too many letters.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes Sean frustrates me and have our share of "fights", and he can be QUITE SASSY. He is not perfect, but I love him to pieces and I can't wait to see him share his love with his baby sister. :)

10 comments:

Gretchen said...

I cannot possibly imagine your child being "quite sassy". :) LOL. Great job to both of you! He's a great kid with a great mom.

Matthew Ruley said...

Congratulations, Sean!

What an accomplishment to make it to honor roll. I have other friends who have sons in 4th grade and I hear about the trials and tribulations. So I know its alot of work, and not easy work.

Doen't it feel really great to have all your hard work pay off? You earned it.

And if your mom's encouragements sometimes seem overwhelming, its only a compliment to YOU because she believes in you. That, I think, is one of the greatest compliments and honors in the world - to be treasured and believed in by others, especially your parents and family.

And Susan, congrats to you for persistently telling Sean how much you believe in him.

Jennifer said...

What a great post about Sean! The part about you blubbering over what the teacher wrote, and then actually reading it brought tears to my eyes too! I guess I'm doomed to blubber also when it's my turn with Gigi!

I love the sassy part! :-) It sounds like he takes after you which is awesome!

It's clear you're a wonderful mom, and you have a goodly amount of positive influence in your son's life. That is impressive and speaks volumes about both of you!

He is not only going to be a wonderful, loving, and fun big brother, but he's also going to be a smart big brother full of all sorts of knowledge to teach Baby Kaz. What a joy!

Thad and Ann said...

Way to go Sean! I bet it feels great to know all the hard work you did paid off.
You will be a great Big brother....now about babysitting, if you need a crash course head on up to my house. There is a 4yr old & 23m old who will break you in. :)

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Go Sean!!! Great job! The dog is almost as cute as Sean is!? lol! Good job of mommying Susan, way to nag him into getting the job done. If I could stay away from reading everyone else's blogs I might have a chance to write mine. Gena

Regina said...

Congratulations Sean for rockin' your report card! Being smart is cool, and always will be.

You are such a handsome guy and look very happy to have such a beautiful, supportive and proud mommy.

Chris & Christy said...

Go me, Go Sean! Hahaha that is way too cute! I love it! He should be proud of himself, that is a great accomplishment! And it is wonderful to hear that he is looking forward to his little sister, sounds like he will be a loving big brother.

Christy

Sandi said...

Way to go Sean. Congratulations. Keep it up and I will let you babysit some time.

sandi

Kim said...

What a great job, Sean!! And what a proud mama you are!! :) (your not so Secret Blog Pal!!)

Karen said...

Gimme an A, gimme another A. Hooray for Sean. As a copywriter, I liked reading the comment about proofing his work.

He's SO ready to be a big brother. C'mon Almaty—move that paperwork!!!!