Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Got my travel guide today and the trials and tribulations of 4th grade

Fed Ex just rang my doorbell and I have, on my lap, my ADOPTION TRAVEL GUIDE for Kaz!
This is rather exciting!

It has Emergency telephone numbers, visa applications, and other stuff. I am excited to read it.

My dossier was out for delivery in Colardo today so the program director for Kaz can give it the once over. Hopefully, it's all good.
Then, she sends it on the embassy.

So far, I've been quite patient. Once I got that freakin I-171H, I have calmed down a bunch. I'm not sure why this is, maybe because my entire dossier was sitting and WAITING on that one unimpressive piece of paper. Plus, because of it's arrrival, I didn't make my goal to have my completed dossier turned in and apostilled by end of August like I wanted to. However, I did receive it on 9/14, so, really, I was only 2 weeks past my deadline and it wasn't in my control.

I'm so goal oriented, I like to set goals and then reach them.
Now that I have no clue when we'll travel, I don't have a goal in mind, so maybe that is why.
Plus, we are so busy getting adjusted to 4th grade.
I had been told that 4th grade was a big step up from 3rd grade. The first month of school was ok though-the math was harder and I couldn't do it, but that's nothing new. However, they've stepped it up. Sean has so much homework and it takes a while to do! Plus, he is not the most focused boy in the world. I think that's a boy thing as well. He gets distracted real easy and he's super messy, so you can't read his numbers or his cursive writing very well. Yesterday I had the idea to take him to the library thinking a quiet environment might be better and he would have less distractions than at home. We were there almost 2 hours-and he broke his pencils, went to the bathroom like 3 times, and stares a lot into space. Then, some dude is near us and let's a really smelly one RIP (he tuted). Of course, that sends Sean into a fit of giggles.

I'm trying to be the serious mom, but it was funny.

Tomorrow he has a big science test and vocab test.
I am going keep thinking of ways to get him to focus.

I'm very concerned about pulling him out of school for 8 + weeks to go to Kaz. I don't want to leave him out either ,he really wants to go. Who knows, depending on when we go, maybe he and Joe will leave after bonding and court and I will stay.

I shan't worry! What will be, will be. :)

8 comments:

The Cook said...

You totally remind me of me. I felt a lot better once the dossier was out of my hands. The I was kinda like what do I do now? It will fly by. Just think this will be your last Halloween without your baby, your last Thanksgiving. Maybe you will be over there for Christmas and then your son would not have to miss too much school.
Hang in there...I know it is hard.

Angela said...

It has to feel strange to be done with the dossier. I'm thinking I will feel a tad post-partum. It must be fun looking over the guide and thinking about the trip . . . and trying to work through 4th grade math (UGH!). I always feel so conflicted about waiting - I want what is in the future, but at the same time, I don't want to wish time away or have my mind somewhere else.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Yeah you got the Kaz packet info!! It is something to read over and over until something new happens, there is bright spot for ya! Oh I dread when Berik comes home with math homework..ugh..I know the answer... ask daddy. Gena

Chris & Christy said...

Toot? That is too funny! I would say that~! But I do hear you on the 4th grade curriculum, I used to teach 4th grade and it was crazy what I was teaching. I basically had to re-learn everything before I taught it to the kids, it is hard stuff, adding / multiplying fractions - ugh!

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

As a sixth grade teacher of Social studies...I firmly believe the best education a child can receive is a hands on...been there, seen that, type of education. If kids can travel anywhere they will remember the experience for ever...especially if it's to meet their siblings! Good luck in that decision because I know it's got to be a tough one.
Jill

Regina said...

I really wonder how hard it will be for me to be a "serious mom" as you put it.

Frank and I love to get silly, goofy and giggly with kids. Will we be able to resist bursting out laughing in situations when we're supposed to be the mature adults???

Oh, and by the way I think that taking your son out of school to go on this adventure is one of the BEST educational experiences he could possibly have. Don't worry...he will be wiser because of it. He can catch up on his schoolwork in no time. ;-)

Regina

Anonymous said...

I think running like a rockstar will help pass the time. Since evrything now is mostly out of your hands, you need something to put back in them. BTW, My mathematical skills pretty much stall out on a 4th grade level, maybe I can help Bubba? Love you and see you soon!!

Chris Sapp said...

I am a teacher and I understand your worry about pulling him from school for so long. However, I can't help but think abut all of the lessons, life lessons, he will get by having the experience. They are one of a kind and invaluable.