Sunday, October 14, 2007

Books recommended by "Moi"

I don't really have an Baby Kaz news to report, except I spent all day last Monday running around like a maniac trying to get some updated documents for our dossier. Apparently, nothing can be older than 4 months when your dossier hits the embassy. That makes timing tricky-and when your i-171h takes FOREVER to come, it can cause some expiration to other documents. SO, I had to find a way to get new apostilled copies of our marriage license and previous divorces done in less than a week. Since the office of vital stats resides in Jacksonville and I don't have the luxury of time to drive 4 hours (4 hours ONE WAY, 8 hours round trip) to get them, I found a wonderful adoptive mom whose business it is to get those documents for you. She then fed ex'd them to another adoptive mom in Tallahasee which is where we Floridians must go for apostilling. I was so happy to have found these wonderful ladies and I had my documents by Thursday all ready to go.
So, now the new documents join my other documents and travel to the embassy this week-hopefully before anything else expires. We were told it's a 4-6 month wait once our dossier is in country before we go meet our daughter. However-we must remain flexible and patient in international adoption. So, I am telling everyone we hope to go by March.

Another couple who is using our same agency and same caseworker was just told they are traveling IN ONE WEEK, and their dossier has only been in country for only a month! It's so crazy how it works. I think we'll go later, rather than sooner, and I am fine with that. I am amazingly calm about it. I'm not sure why-as that is not my nature. It must be the yoga, or maybe taking my Sunday school lessons to heart, or maybe my calm husband, or probably a combination of the three.

I am busy with teaching Sunday school, being a fashion diva at Steinmart, 4th grade attitude, running, and reading.

I would love to recommend a couple great books-found at my local library.



The first one is by Theresa Reid-Two Little Girls, a Memoir of adoption.
It is SO good, a true story about a family's experience adopting from Russia and the Ukraine. They got a referal for Kostani, Kazakhstan,but i'll let you read the book.




The second one is just hilarious. It's called Momzilla's-by Jill Kargman. It's about a family who moves to NYC from California and the mom is surrounded by these crazy Momzilla's who pay zillions of dollars for 2 year old preschool. I was seriously laughing out loud. The author reminds me of Sophie Kinsella (author of the Shopaholic books) if you've ever read those. They are great!!!

12 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah! I'm so glad to See a new post! Glad you are doing well and I will look into those books. Yes the whole process is kinda crazy and irrational, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I DEVOUR the Shopaholic books and haven't had time to thank you for the Momzilla tip ;-)

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Great attitude! I am trying to do the same. "Two Little Girls" looks very good - a constructuve way to bide the time.

Gretchen said...

Glad for the new post. You know I'm a blog stalker too! Will have to check out those books. They look good.

marsrob said...

That is SO cool that those adoptive moms have created a business in Florida to help parents-to-be get their paperwork done. Wow. That is so great! Thanks for the recommendations too...although my ability to focus on reading right now is quite diminished. I am an avid reader, but I find that my attention span is quite short these days. I can barely focus on getting through my favorite sections in the NY Times! Good for you for doing yoga, reading etc. So healthy!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Here I am again, looking at blogs as you wisely advised against since we have much to do. I cannot believe we're traveling so soon either (well, it's been a year and a half since we started the process, but you know what I mean)! I hope to hear news that you're on your way soon, too!

Sonya said...

Thanks for the book suggestions! I will have to check those out.

Your patience is amazing. With all the delays and waiting...mine is being tested! I just keep trying to keep my eye on that final goal though...having my baby in my arms!

Sonya

Chris & Christy said...

I loved that book too, the 'Two Little Girls' book. I actually bought it thinking that it would be a nice departure from all of the attachments books I was reading a couple months back, a light hearted / heart warming story of adoption......um, not so much, very real, a bit raw as I remember, but super good! :) I continue to follow along on your journey too!

Christy

Karen said...

Thanks for your message on my blog. Once I hear back from my agency (about the Parlimetary bill) I'll let you know. And please let me know what your agency says too.

We'll all hang in there together.

Karen
karen_pere@yahoo.com

marsrob said...

I saw your post about crying today for 10 minutes and we just want you to know we are holding you in our hearts. Let's hope that the info about rules changing is wrong....thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Been thinking of you for the last 24 hours. Hang in there. Remember, there were "rumors" in Guatemala for 1-2 years before things really started to move towards change. You could be settled at home and moving towards preschool long before any "bill" goes into action. I'm sending many, many positive vibes to both you and KaBob!

Karen.