Thursday, January 27, 2011

The family that runs together...






Sean wanted to get in shape and lose some weight before football starts (practice starts Sunday 1/30. For about 3 weeks, Sean and I (and Leeza, in the BOB stroller) have been running for 15 minutes every day after school. Sean HATES to run. I told him it would get easier, but the first couple of weeks were tough. He was not what I'd call a "happy runner" and he didn't talk at all. Leeza and I would talk, but Sean would only "grunt" responses. One day last week, we changed our route a little bit and I didn't tell Sean our time. We ran for 16:40. He wasn't a grumpy runner, but i would not move him to the happy category either. However, I could tell it was getting easier and he was proud when I told him he ran 1:40 longer than he'd been running. We took a couple days off this week due to inclimate weather and Sean's splitting headache, but the last 2 days, we've gone. Yesterday, Sean ran 16 minutes and was pretty happy. Today-he TALKED and LAUGHED with me the whole time, and his breathing was very controlled. I was SO PROUD OF HIM! We ran for 16:40 and I would venture to say it was "fairly" effortless. Sean seemed to enjoy it.

Leeza is our little cheerleader telling us "Sean, you're almost done" and when we're done, she says "Way to Sean, good job running"

Then today, when we got home, Leeza said she wanted to go running. I get the dog, and off we go. She is running down the street with her crocs and her jeans and she ran for 14 minutes! I was seriously impressed with her endurance. She talked the whole time. Toward the end, she talked about how starving she was and how I didn't feed her lunch (and I reminded her she had 2 waffles) and then she said she wanted hot cocoa. She only stopped a couple times to look at some footprints in the concrete sidewalk and got really mad if Miles tried to keep pace with her and yelled that SHE WAS THE LINE LEADER.

I love my kids. :)

3 comments:

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

they are hilarious! and good for you and sean, susan! that is so great!!! leeza is just a hoot!! :) keep on keepin on!

Carolyn Tarpey said...

Way to go Sean, you must be so proud of yourself! Running is hard and good for you for sticking it out and now you are going for 16 minutes and laughing your way through it! I am sure it helps having to amazing cheerleaders supporting you on!!

Keep up the great work :)

Kelly and Sne said...

Good for you! I hope that your recent injury doesn't thwart your running for very long. Maybe Leeza can push you in the stroller for awhile!