Monday, September 20, 2010

My Tempermental Ballerina






I enrolled Leeza in "Creative Movement"....a class designed for girls 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 to help "get them ready" for a "real" ballet class. I was glad we found it because I know my lil Leeza, and she would not conform to a strict kind of ballet class.

Her first class was actually the same day as her birthday party (September 4th) and she woke up late, and "off we rushed" to ballet. She actually did fairly well, considering it was her first time and we were rushed. Way to go mom..overshedule your not even turned 3 year old yet. :) But, hey-it's how we roll and Leeza is a the kind of child who does like to be kept busy and needs to be kept active.

She wore her darling personalized birthday leotard she got from Sadie. :) She was, however, the only kid not wearing tights, or a little ballerina skirt. No worries, we fixed that for the next class. She does really HATE wearing tights though, which was a bit of a battle.







So, we skipped one week because we had Disney on Ice to go see, so we went this past Saturday. I had her all dolled up looking the part, even with a darling ballerina clippy. My lord she looked gorgeous. :)








However, "pretty is, as pretty does" and even though she was all excited...she walked in with an attitude bigger than herself and GROWLED at everyone. I was HORRIFIED. I pulled her out and we had a chat...NO SPRINKLE COOKIE, AND GIGI is NOT going to paint your nails and your toes cuz that's NOT how a princess acts. She insisted on going back in. I could only watch for 5 minutes because she was still doing the arms crossed attitude thing. All the other lil girls were being adorable.

I had to stop watching and go hide in the corner of shame. I felt sure we'd be kicked out. I was sad, because I think it would be fun to have a lil ballerina daughter. I mean, doesn't she know, this is ME living vicariously thru her? I SUCKED at ballet..had zero coordination, didn't know my right foot from my left, and BEGGED MY MOM TO LET ME QUIT!

Another dad was watching and came back to tell me that she was doing fine and having fun. I still had my doubts. Class ended (it's only an agonizing 30 minutes, thank God!) and Ms. Stephanie told me "she turned it around.".

Based on what I know about Leeza, is she DOES take a few times to "warm up" to a new routine and a new thing. I get that, I really do, but it's really hard to watch your princess daughter that you cherish and love SO MUCH act like a real lil biotch and growl at other children. Oh well, I guess that this is the price I must pay for all the joy I get from dressing her up and braiding her hair. I have to say Sean was WAY easier as a toddler. :) and I expect he's just a way easier kid in general, but he doesn't look as cute in a ballerina skirt. :)




After dance, we had to run to Publix. There was a VERY long line and when we finally get up to check out, Leeza is helping me get the groceries out and the cashier commented "Wow, you've got a very well behaved and polite lil girl there".

I about busted a gut. :)

Oh Tempermental ballerina...I love you so much. If you're like this at 3, how are we going to survive when you're 12 and we get hit with hormones? :)

No comments: