Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Going back to Kaz!!!



Looking at this sad picture of my sweet Leeza Grace fills me with so many emotions. It's hard to fathom that the smiley, happy, spunky lil 28 month old that is with us now is the same child as the one we met almost a year and a half ago.





The differences between Leeza then and Leeza now are too many to count. The little girl who I just didn't think "was cuddly", now is openly affectionate and holds my face in her hands and gives me kisses, and is quick to kiss any "boo boo's" that mommy gets. It's something that is sweet, but not that big of a deal for most kids. However, for kids who spend their first 11 months in a baby house with no family to show them what love is, it's something that warms my heart EVERY DAY Leeza is home.

When Two Hearts for Hope announced the mission trip, I REALLY wanted to go. I just didn't think it was possible. I had no idea who would watch Leeza for a week, as Joe's work schedule is too intense for him to take a week off and take her to all her activities. :) However, the more days that went by, the more it kept coming into my thoughts. I was on a run with my BFF Jill, who started encouraging me to go. I emailed Kim and Stacy, to find out details,and found out they only had a few spots left, and then it was full. I called my BFF Laura, to tell her about it, and she volunteered to watch Leeza while I was gone. I just felt like God was telling me.."YES! YOU NEED TO GO!"


The more I thought about it, the more I also realized I wanted to take Sean. He loved his time in Kazakhstan, and he was really amazing with the kids. I told him about it, and he was so excited. I made Joe his favorite dinner,and presented our case. :) He gave us his blessing, and wished us good luck in our fundraising. :)

Due to laptop/printer/Vista issues, I had Joe print out the Mission trip application paperwork at his office, and we swung by to get them. Jillian had read over them and asked if she could go too! SO, NOW! ALL 3 OF US ARE GOING!



I am REALLY proud of Jillian. This is certainly NOT a vacation. We will be building a playground in Almaty (digging holes, using saws (yes, scary!), and visiting the special needs orphanages. I know it's going to be heart wrenching, and most certainly, LIFE CHANGING.

When I was asked to serve as a board member of Two Hearts for Hope, I was honored. Certainly, they are "my charity" and I support them financially as much as I can. However, I knew I wanted to do more, a lot more. I know that this is my chance!

I hope this is the first of several trips we'll be able to take to give back. The children that we left behind will never be forgotten. I have witnessed first hand the difference that love and a family makes for these children. If Leeza's paperwork hadn't been in order, she would be one of the ones left behind.

If you'd like to make a difference, please visit www.twoheartsforhope.org! All donations are appreciated and will make a huge impact on the lives of these precious precious kiddo's!

3 comments:

Henry's mom said...

Oh Susan... your post made me cry! I am so proud of you, Sean and Jillian for going back to Kaz to help in anyway you can. I too, wish I could go back but my boss said no. I took a week off last May to help my friend Lea bring home Dylan ( you will meet both of them in June) and she said, don't ask to go back with my friend Amanda to help bring home her child this spring. So, there you have it. Hopefully in a few years I can too help with Two Hearts.

Wonderful post... still crying!

xxxooo

Jstar said...

Awesome! What an amazing, fantastic family adventure, working side-by-side to love on the least of these.

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

completely and fully awesome...
and, so, ok -- SN orphanage -- what do you need? what can i send you?? i wish I could go too but LM has not been home nearly as long as Leeza and he's not quite ready to lose mommy to her humanitarian heart.. You rock. Email me and tell me please what I can send you to take!! equipment/etc i can see what i can dig up...