Monday, January 19, 2009

Well, Hello Chubby!!




Leeza, Miles, Sean and I went for a walk this morning around our neighborhood. It was a gorgeous 70 degrees with a nice breeze...a wonderful morning to be out and about. One of our neighbors, an older man who always rides his bike, said Hello, then asked if he could "take a look at our new addition." I see him often, but usually I just say Hello and keep walking so I guess that is why he wanted to get a "sneak peak" at the lil girl from Kazakhstan.
He greets her and says "Well, Hello Chubby!!"



Now, as a girl myself, that comment got my dander up a little bit. I know that my daughter has some "beefy legs" (but we prefer to call her "athletic") and actually, I really do ENJOY having a daughter with some substance to her, who happily eats my cooking and gets excited at every meal, especially after having Sean, who had "chicken legs" and was really a scrawny kid until he was about 5.
However, being a girl who is constantly at battle with her own self image and always worried about her weight, I found myself resenting his comment. I know I need to just "let it go", as he is a very sweet man who I know meant nothing mean spirted about it. His next sentence was, "How old is she, about 6 months?" I told him, oh no, she is 16 months. He said, "oh, that tells you how long it's been since I've had lil kids in the house". He then said, "so, is she walking around then?" I laughed and said, "more like RUNNING around" and he said that must be how I stay so thin. :)

Obviously, he is a nice man and it bugs me that I am so sensitive about it. I guess it's just my "protective mother bear claws" coming out. :)
Sean said, "well,Mom, her legs are Huge!" Thanks Sean-you're a nice big brother.




Home 12 weeks (as of tomorrow)!




Tomorrow marks 3 months of us being home with Leeza. We have settled into a nice routine, and I'm quickly forgetting what life was like before she came along! My days of yoga are long gone, but are about to replaced with new, fun things like our first "Kindermusic" class tomorrow, and "Toddler tumbling" we want to try next week.

Leeza's newest thing is bringing us her pink potty. We think she is starting to figure out when she has to go potty. Of course, we have plenty of "false alarms", but she does go about 80% of the time, so I think those are pretty good stats for a 16 month old kiddo.

She is becoming more and more independent, and her newest thing is that she won't let me feed her anymore. She will let me feed her a couple bites, but then SHE WANTS TO DO IT. She ends up grabbing fistfuls of food and using the wrong end of the spoon, and usually half way thru she hands me back her spoon or fork for some help. She also has to have a washcloth on her tray because she stops to wipe her mouth after each bite. It's so funny-she is really "girly". :)
She continues to be a "hearty eater" and I have stepped it up and started cooking more because of her ravenous lil appetite. Sean likes very little that I cook, but Leeza LOVES IT ALL! She is a refreshing change in that aspect. :)

She is a big chatty Kathy, and talks ALL the time, and loves to get her purse, hike it up on her shoulder,and cradle her cell phone in the nook of her neck and chat away. I can't imagine where she learned that...

She also loves to wag her pointer finger and say "ne ne ne" (no no no!). It's really funny. We are a big American Idol family and Leeza was sitting next to Joe on the couch. When all the judges told some wanna be singer "No", Leeza is wagging her finger at the TV "Ne Ne Ne"


She also loves shoes..and had a hissy fit the other day because she wanted to wear 3 shoes at one time, but alas, she only has 2 feet.

Her and Miles are great buddies. He tolerates her climbing all over him, but she rewards him for his patience by sneaking him food. She goes into the pantry and carries out the wheat thins. She kept asking for them over and over. I was starting to wonder how she was eating them so fast, when I realized she was going behind the counter and feeding them to Miles. I locked Miles up in our room, but 5 minutes later, he's out again because Leeza went and let him out.






I am continually amazed at how smart lil ones are and how much they understand. Leeza LOVES the bathtub, and "swims" in the tub now. I cannot wait to start her in swimming lessons. I tell her to float on her back, and she does it. I tell her to flip over on her tubby and kick, and she does, complete with putting her face in the water. I have no idea where she learned it either...kids are so amazing!

Leeza is physically strong (she has really strong abs!), and she also has quite the strong lil personality. I would defintely describe her as sassy, but I also admire her determination. She is a lil spitfire! I think we will probably have our hands full, but that's ok. She's a joy to have around, despite the occasional tantrum when she doesn't get what she wants. :)



Leeza clearly adores Sean. When we went to get her up this morning, her whole face lil up when she saw her brother there. Usually, on weekdays, it's only boring mommy and her buddy Miles, but Sean is off today for Martin Luther King day. I will close with a video of "a shoot out"


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute, and she's not chubby she's healthy ;-) I guess chubby is good when you're 16 months old but not so good when you're... uh.. 29 like we are.

Kelly and Sne said...

It sounds like "chubby" is getting ready for a growth spurt! Miras eats the same way - it is cute but kind of frustrating at the same time. And sure does make a mess.

Remember that chubby on a baby is cute. Anywa, it sounds like your neighbor redeemed himself with his compliment at the end!

And your dog has a lot of patience. Miras has been trying to ride ours lately. One just lies there. But the other gave him a low growl. Fortunately Miras recognized the gravity of the situation (she would never bite him) and came running, crying to me.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I guess if the guy thought she was only six months old, it's no surprise that he thought she was big! Leeza's a perfectly healthy and adorable 16 month old. What's she going to do without her momma's cooking in the "big house"?

Kim said...

That is pretty funny. The little old man obviously has the beginnings of dementia if he thinks Leeza is chubby. :)

I am a little jealous of your 70 degree whether this week. I have been daydreaming of Aruba and the nice warm breeze.

Talk to you later!

Tracy said...

I love babies with a little meat on their bones... She is beautiful and you know it!

Loved the video also....

Tracy

Karen said...

I think he was paying you a compliment—back in the day, a chubby baby was considered healthy. I know it's hard not to be sensitive—I personally take everything everyone says to heart, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Leeza is gorgeous, no two ways about it.

Tricia said...

Her little legs are so adorable! Be glad that she is a good eater :) I need some of your recipes to see if Rustam will start eating better. He is more interested in running around, so he spits everything out and swipes it off the table to the dog. Frustrating. He is also saying No, no, no! I think he hears it a hundred times per day. LOL. I love how girlie Leeza is, she definitely gets it from her mama.

Joby and Marla said...

Leeza is just perfect!!!!

I do think the neighbor was trying to give Leeza a compliment because all the older people in my village think chubby for a baby is healthy.

I wish we were in Florida right now. 70 degree sounds wonderful! We came back from Kaz only to find it much colder than normal on the OBX & 2 days ago we had about 4 inches of snow. It rarely ever snows here & this year I have seen enough snow. We had to pretend to be excited for Kylie & Joby even helped her make a snowman.

marsrob said...

That whole commenting on kids' weight thing bugs me too. I know he meant no harm, but things like that drive me nuts. And even though he was giving you a compliment, why do people constantly focus on weight? Too chubby! Nice and thin! It is a constant thing! Anyways, she's adorable and cannot believe it has been 3 months. INCREDIBLE!

Regina said...

Babies are SUPPOSED to be chubby! She is perfect! I actually wish Milo was a little chubbier, but it's just not his body type. He probably was when he was Leeza's age. Looks like you are having fun and loving life. So cool that you spent time with Shannon and Alexa ... wow she is changing fast too!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I love that video. So funny how she puts her hands up on the sliding door. I bet there is never a dull moment in the Serra house. Sometimes I wonder if Rylie would have more fun at home with a sibling, but when I ask her if she wants a baby, she says "no baby. mommy, daddy, rylie, done. No baby." :-)
And Leeza is so not chubby. People tell me that all the time about Rylie- wow, she looks like a good eater, she's a big girl, blah blah blah. Sometimes I want to correct them and be like- actually, she is in the 20th percentile for weight, and she is the pickiest eater I have ever met, but I just let it go. Remember as much as Leeza learned to gab on the phone with her purse on her shoulder from you, she'll learn lots of other stuff too :-)

And as for your question the other day... I haven't started my long walks yet. I need to find the time, and soon, because before I know it the 100+ degree temps in the summer will be here. I need a walking buddy- besides Rylie :-)

Sam said...

SHes healthy! and shes very cute

Patrick & Eileen said...

Susan,
Leeza is just too darn CUTE!!

Men at times really put their foot in their mouth but I think he was trying to be nice :)

I'm jealous of your weather. It's cold here and could possibly snow today (hope it doesn't)....then tomorrow it could be rain/sleet. Yuck!

I've never heard of Kindermusic - boy I'm out of the loop. Cool that Leeza has fun things to do. I'll have to see what we have here.

Great update and wonderful photos :)

Eileen

Matthew Ruley said...

MAN look at her go! She is speedy!

There is NOTHING wrong with having chubby cheeks! Having a sweet round face is wonderful. I concur with Shannon.

Thanks for the update. I needed my Leeza moment. I feel much better!

Sarah and Andy said...

Susan, You don't know how many times people have commented on Addie's 'chubbiness' and it makes me so mad! Addie is a big eater, she has been since we got home, and people always make a big issue out of that too. She's always on the go and she's growing for godsake. Anyway, I LOVE your update, I hadn't checked in ages, so thanks for making me smile! Leeza is gorgeous.

Julian and Sara said...

Susan, your poetry comment today has me laughing!! I love it!!

Ah yes, the whole weight thing rears its ugly head. As mothers of daughters, it seems especially sensitive. I just hope to be able to teach a healthy attitude toward food, nutrition and body image. What a juggling act in today's society!!