Monday, June 23, 2008

Wow!!!




I had mentioned in my previous post about how some pretty WAY COOL things had been happening to me in the last week. People that I hadn't met before I had had come into my life, all with incredible stories of faith. As I've learned over the past year, adoption is ALL ABOUT FAITH!

Tonight was no different. In fact, It was so cool that I had to devote a post about it because I know Baby Kaz is going to think it's pretty cool too.

Sean is off to church camp until Saturday. I put him on the bus at church around 12:45 today. He went last year for the first time and absolutely LOVED IT! Last year I was crying when he left..this year I was excited for him. I spent the afternoon getting some shots at Passport Health Clinic and getting some medication for Traveler's diaharrea. ick-o-rama.

My sweet hubby called me and asked if I wanted to meet his boss and his wife for dinner at their favorite Italian joint. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I was all for it! We have been there with them before, and they always have the same waiter. He knows them, they know him, and they are regulars and have been for the past 2 years. Tonight, however, their waiter was on out for his birthday.

The waitress is at our table pouring wine and I am eating bread and said to the table "Shleep e Masla" which is my version of "bread and butter" in Russian. The waitress perked up said "what did you say?
I said, "Shlep e Masla" is Russian for bread and butter. She kinda look at me and I said "Do you speak Russian?" She said yes, and corrected me cuz you say the Shlep with that weird Russian throat gurgle thing.

Turns out, she is from Ubeksistan and she is very homesick for her mom that she hasn't seen for 6 years. She is saving money to go home to visit. She is going to USF and working at this restarant. She said her heart stopped when she heard me speaking Russian as she had been so homesick! So, I got show off "Ya gavaroo neemomoga par russki" (I only speak a little Russian) and I said spacceba (thank you) and Pajulsta (please) and spaquina noche (good night)

We traded emails and phone numbers. Her name is Alesia and I Have a new Russian tutor!
I really want to learn some basic Russian and she really needs some cashola for a plane ticket home. What a {win-win}!

What are the odds...we get invited out at the last minute, Sean is at camp, the "regular" waiter is out for his birthday, and she walks up just in time to hear my butcher "Shcleep e Masla?"

Another way cool thing--I had plans to go to Arkansas next week to visit my sister and then to California to visit my aunt and my Grandma was flying in from Arizona.
This was prior to the big "LOI" for August 1st.
I called my sister today to say I didn't think I could handle the California trip. I was too stressed and had too much to get done. She called me back later (she is going to California too, with her 2 boys, age 6 and 3) and suggested we blow off Arkansas, and cut the California trip short to go with her. We really need to see my Grandma while we can. I call Joe to ask him if he'd mind cancelling Arkansas, and he told me he was just about to call ME to tell me he'd have to join us way later in the week as work was insane.
Great suggestion by my sister-I had not even considered that.
Then-I get home,and have my new appointment from the USCIS for fingerprints for July 3rd. We would have been out of town for that appointment but now we're not.

I gotta have Faith Faith Faith, I gotta have Faith Faith Faith!

28 comments:

Catalina said...

Congratulations for the LOI. Looks like many people are getting their invitation (I know of 2 families from my agency who got their LOI and one is already in the country)I loved your previous post and pictures, I can feel all your happiness and excitement. I think you will be a very cool mom (also russian speaking) !!!!!! Can`t wait to see the baby!

kitzkazventure said...

Such special signs from above, no doubt! I love finding Russian speaking people and saying something out of the blue! Since we are in a Univ. town, we have befriended several Kazakh students....love them and they appreciate us loving their country so much! Great combination....although Nick avoids them like the plague when they speak Kazakh!

Karen said...

Everything is falling into place nicely. And, as they say, there are no accidents. Now you can relax, learn Russian, visit your grandma and get all the paperwork done without stressing out. Perfect.

Alysa said...

The signs abound. Truly amazing. Send a couple my way, will ya? ;)

Sounds like you have a good plan to get yourself ready for travel, including a little R&R with Grandma.

Keep up the faith and you'll be meeting your little Kaz baby before you know it.

marsrob said...

That is SO awesome about the Russian tutor!!! WAY COOL!!!! FAITH FAITH FAITH!!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Is cashola one of your new Russian terms? Seriously- that is so great. Completely a win-win situation for both you and Alesia.
This process is crazy- definitely have to have faith!

Regina said...

Life sure is serendipitous, ain't it? What a awesome story! We met a woman this weekend who lived in Kaz for 10 years. We got a few pointers from her on our mangled Russian. :-)

Did you ever think back in the 80's when that George Michael song came out that you'd be clinging to it for purposes such as these???

I love that you got to hook up with Matt, Suz and Shannon and their beautiful children! What a wonderful thing to see you all together. It's just the coolest!

Following your trip in the beginning of August will certainly help me through our wait for our 3rd trip. I can't wait to see you with Baby Kaz in your lap!!!

Sandi said...

Those are definitely all signs. How cool that you met someone who can give you some russian lessons. I think it is great that everything is working out, god has a plan.

Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Sandi

Jennifer said...

Absolutely!

What a totally cool happening. Seriously- what are the odds?! Definitely a God thing. So will this mean that Baby Kaz will be speaking Russian? :-) Hmm...

I am so glad things are falling together so perfectly for you. Talk about peace! Or at least less stress. :-)

Kim said...

Oh that's great. You will love knowing Russian and being able to communicate a little. It surely helps!

Chris & Christy said...

That is so awesome that you have a new tutor. I cannot imagine being away from my family for 6 years - holy cow that is crazy sad! Good job on the Russian too, you will be SO happy that you took the time to learn even the most basic words!!!! Kudos Susan! :)

You will appreciate this: I found my church this past week. I am pumped! I have been searching, not too hard, but searching nonetheless, and as fate would have it I met a gentleman at the Mall that introduced me to the premise of his church. I checked out their website, very progressive, and was completely hooked! All week I was looking forward to going to church, similar to the excitement you feel when you are anticipating a weekend party. So not me! I went on Sunday with Z, and loved it!!! I am so darn happy! I needed this in my world! Fate!

Christy

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

I have a picture of Georgie clipped to my cubicle at work and everyone makes fun of me for it.

I like your friends better; haha!!

Glad things are falling in place, and into the correct place nonethelss.

I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Way cool. And July 3 is my birthday so that should be good luck for you ;-) (And no wait, since everyone will probably be out of town!)
Shannon

Patrick & Eileen said...

Susan,
You sure do find a lot of different signs wherever you go! My goodness :) Very cool that you will have someone to bounce your Russian off of - helpful too.

I ditto what Alysa said...send some *good* signs our way will ya!!!

Have fun today,
Eileen

Laura said...

It is so neat how things really do fall in place and come together! You sure have had some neat stories to share since you got your LOI! Hoping time moves quickly and can't wait to follow along!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...

Susan, You are off to a great start with your Russian. I can tell you what has been helpful for us here, too. What a great story. Synchronicity at its finest. There has to be a higher power working on all of those paths.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

потрясающий!

Aaron and Julie said...

you are right - you do have some very cool things going on !!! I just got caught up a little bit. Love it all!

Gretchen said...

Things do have a way of working themselves out. :) Cool story.

Tracy said...

I am so excited for you. I loved reading your last two posts. The excitment and joy in your voice was wonderful to hear. All your waiting is paying off. You will be meeting your little one so soon. How awesome. Keep the faith that things will continue to go smoothly.
Tracy

Kelly and Sne said...

Sounds like the planets are aligning fo you!

Angela said...

At last, everything is falling into place!

In a few days you will be able to say - "We are going to Kazakhstan THIS month!"

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Just catching up on my blog reading, and I am so glad that things continue to move along for you. July will speed by, but you will be totally ready and you are all going to have a great trip. My Russian tutor was a college student from Lithuania who spoke four languages -- I loved learning from her, because we tailored the lessons to words and phrases that I would most likely need - including lots of loving things to say to a little baby! Good luck with your tutoring!

All is great here at home. So, so great.

We cannot wait to cheer you along!!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! Your posts are always so upbeat, it makes me a believer!:) Have fun with your grandma!

Unknown said...

Looks like your Russian is better than mine. I thought "gavaru" was "gabadu". Yikes! Time to start working on this a little harder. (-:

See you in Kaz (fingers crossed)!

Sarah and Andy said...

Wow! July 31 will be here before you know it! Please call me or email me if you want to chat although it sounds like you are definitely ready. Can't wait to follow your journey. I can't really put into words what it feels like 1 year later...it seems like someone else's journey!

Monica said...

Okay it's JULY now Susan... what are you busy? are you packing already? I hope things are going well for you and you are getting super excited to travel soon. Update us on what's going on with you and your fam.
Best wishes!!!
Monica