Monday, June 2, 2008

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign.....


Remember that song from the Five Man Electric Band?

The chorus is :
Sign, Sign, Everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign....

And the last verse:
And the sign said, Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all,
I didn't have a penny to pay, so I got me a pen and paper and I made up my own lil sign
I said thank you Lord, for thinking about me, I've alive and doing fine..



I had a very interesting experience in Orlando this weekend and then again teaching Sunday school on Sunday, and it was quite apparent that the big man upstairs is trying to tell me something. :) I wanted to share it on my blog because I know that Baby Kaz will like this story one day and I know that my friends out there will appreciate it too.

The last day of school was Thursday, 5/29 and it ended at 12:30. I picked up my rising 5th grader and we drove to Orlando. A group of several mom's and kids headed to the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando where we had killer Florida resident rates and purchased Univeral Studios season passes. Yes, I was a trader to Disney, but we had a really good time. The hotel was amazing-with a huge 12,000 square foot pool with a huge water slide. It was within walking distance of "Citywalk" which is tons of shops and restaurans as well as entrance to Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. There was probably a group of about 10 moms and kids from Sean's school, but really we mainly "hung out" with 2 other mom's and their children. On Friday, after lunch, everyone wanted to head to the pool and hang out. Another boy and I who love rollercoaters chose to stay at the park and meet the group later. So, Sharon and I did the coasters while Sean went back with the other mom's and his buddies.
We got back about 5:45. The reason I tell this is because it's all about timing in this cool set of circumstances. Anyway, keep in mind there are MANY resorts in Orlando (and I am a DISNEY REGULAR ANYWAY!!)and 3 huge hotels that are Univseral resorts, and the pool area at Hard Rock is HUGE!! I found our group, and was talking to them. Earlier, at lunch, a couple mom's were asking me what Kazakhstani babies look like. I was trying to find Sean in the pool and I look up and this cute lil baby girl and her mom are in the water. I look at my freinds and point out the lil girl and explain that SHE is what a Kazakhstani baby looks like. I went over and started talking to her her mom and she asked if I had a child in the pool. I explained that my son was 10, and she commented that it must be nice to have a 10 year old that you don't have to watch every second. I agreed, but said that we were hoping to adopt a baby girl about her daughter's age so I noticed the baby right away. She said "Oh, well, Avery is adopted and just came home about a month ago!" I said, "Where did you adopt her from?" And, YOU GUESSED IT! The reason I totally KNEW BEFORE I even asked, she was a KAZAKHSTANI BABY GIRL!!! Isn't that crazy? They were such a nice couple. She introduced me to her husband and her son, who was about 4, and also adopted from Kaz about 3 years ago. He was from Taldy-Korgan (his name is Connor) and Avery was adopted from Astana. They got over there right before it closed.

Of course, all the mom's FREAKED out and said that was a "Sign" and that I was going to get 'THE CALL' in a couple weeks. I DO think it was a sign that we are on the right path, but not that we're going to get a call this week. I don't think we're going this summer, and I am totally at peace with that. We have a wonderful summer planned and I am enjoying Sean while it's just "us" while I can. I was kinda bummed because I didn't get the parents name or anything. I just knew they were from West Palm Beach. Well,keep singing that "sign" song cuz things just get freakier.

The next morning, I went downstairs to get us a starbucks coffee before we went down to breakfast. I was in line to pay, and guess who gets in line behind me. Yupperdoodles--my Kazakhstani friend Avery and her dad. I said Hello and he asked if I had a piece of paper and gave me their blog address. Now, for me to run into them AGAIN, in this HUGE hotel, at the SAME TIME, when we weren't even going to go in this lil shop before breakast, is just way more than "just a coincidence".

Then, in case I wasn't sure about what these signs meant, on Sunday, at Sunday school, where I teach K-3 EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY, our lesson was on the Holy Spirit.
The holy spirit is God working inside our heart. :)
We did this experiment with a bottle of water, and you add sugar and yeast. It makes carbon dioxide and you put a balloon over the bottle and it blows up the balloon. You can't always "see" the holy spirit but you KNOW he's there, just like the air in the balloon. Well, it takes awhile for the experiment to work. We had another project to work on so I put mine to the side, thinking it just didn't work.
I am so NOT patient, and it's something I am working on. I have really chilled out though in the last couple of years but I still have a ways to go.
I was going around getting the next project started when I look over at my balloon and it's BLOWING UP! The Holy Spirit is ALIVE AND WELL !

So, what I took from this is that we ARE on the right path. Our daughter is in Kazaksthan, but, I need to continue to be patient. God is with us. :)




So, on the eve of my 42nd birthday, I will trust in the man, with the plan, and I will be patient. I will enjoy my summer with my son and my husband, and redo my dossier-so that when the time is right, we'll go get her! The only update I have is that we were told we will NOT be going back to Astana-so we'll be going to Kostanai.
I think it will be awhile as there are several families waiting. We'll just make 2 or maybe 3 trips, it will be fine.

I am excited to follow Chris and Tricia's journey to Kostanai, and a big WELCOME HOME TO Alexa and Shannon, and Alyona and Andrey and Matt and Suzanne!

26 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

I love your story! How very cool - signs are awesome when we recognize them at times when we so need them.

We shared our story at church this past weekend - a little intimitading since there are 3 services and probably 2500 people . One of our points was "God's timing is perfect, even when we don't think it is."

Aaron and Julie said...

P.S. Happy Birthday :)

Sandi said...

I love that song and the story. It is truly about signs and in believing.

Your time will come when your daughter is ready to meet her family and until then I am so happy you have some great plans for the summer and hopefully we will all get together for a small Florida Reunion.

Happy Birthday my friend.

sandi

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Great post, as usual, girlfriend. You are on the right path -- process-wise, and spirituality-wise. And, when it does happen, you will surely receive another sign that tells you that the timing and circumstances are exactly right for you and your family.

What .... No roller coaster report?! :-)

Angela said...

Very cool! I love the story and the connections are amazing!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST CHEERLEADER I KNOW! I am a better person because I know you!

Kelly and Sne said...

Yep, that sounds like a big sign that we'll soon be reading about your journey to Kaz for your daughter on your blog. I can't wait, personally! In the meantime, where you went in Orlando sounds like a kid's paradise... I wonder how old Miras needs to be to enjoy that sort of thing (oh, and Disneyland too).

And a happy birthday to you! 42 isn't so bad - I've survived nearly a year at it! Remember, 40 is the new 30!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

You said in your post that you're not patient, but it sounds like you're more patient than you think you are. I hope that you won't have to wait too much longer, but I am glad you are finding peace and comfort through these days of waiting. It's interesting that you ran into a family (twice!) who adopted a Kazakh daughter as you soon will.

Hope your birthday is happy!

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday!!

I'm all about signs. They keep hope alive and burning, keep us going when things get too burdensome, and give us back excitement and the energy to keep going.

Sounds like you had the magical number of 3 signs too! Perfect!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Yes, I remember that song and it's now in my head :)

What a story and you're right your daughter will love it. I can't wait until it's your time to go to Kaz.

Happy Birthday to you! I love how Kelly wrote that 40 is the new 30. If that is the case then I'm 35 :)

Take care - watch for those signs!
Eileen

Kim said...

Happy Birthday! What a great story. You are right, the man has a plan! He will lead you to your daughter!

Anonymous said...

I agree...no coincidences; you were supposed to meet. Great story, and it sounds like you have good stuff happening for your summer! Happy Birthday....I heard 40 was the new 20, so there you go!!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Maybe you'll get to use those boots after all, both hers and yours. Neat story! Keep up the faith and it will work out! Gena

Catalina said...

I also believe in signs and certainly your story is a sign. Hope you had a Happy Birthday! May your wish come true very soon!!

Tracy said...

WOW... isn't it wonderful how God speaks to us. We know it is Him... I am glad that you are at peace with everything. We do have to leave things in His hands. Good job!!!

Happy Birthday too!!
Tracy

Alysa said...

Very cool story! I never thought about "signs" until about 15 years ago. Now I pay more attention. (and 40 had BETTER be the new 30!)

Sounds like a wonderful summer is in store and your little girl will arrive when she is meant to.

And I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday!

marsrob said...

WOW THAT IS A COOL STORY!!! Awesome!!!

Happy 42nd bday by the way!!! YAY!!!

kitzkazventure said...

Great Story! God does show us the way to our children....it is such a miracle and such an amazing journey in His timing. Blessing to you for being such a good "waiter". Happy Birthday too!
ky karen

Regina said...

Hello my friend, cheerleader, dreamweaver and chaperone-extraordinarre!

I am playing blog catchup today and wanted to say hi and thank you for your comments and sweet e-mails during our first trip to Kaz. It was a very crazy time for us and every time we logged on to read all the love and support out there it gave us the boost that we needed. So sorry we didn't have the time/internet access to write back to anyone. It took all we had to just get the posts up while we were there.

I hope you had a fantastic birthday! I know that your signs will soo point the way to your little one. I have to tell you that despite the unusual amount of craziness that we have experienced so far, I would happily do it again if it led to our little Milo. He is awesome and we can't wait to get his little hiney home.

Love,
Regina

P.S. That dream you had about him was sooo weird! Did you have any more?

Anonymous said...

We're so happy to be home, and Alexa can't wait to meet you. I like the signs, I think the world is full of them, just can't wait for the "go" sign for you ;-)
Shannon

Karen said...

You are so in-touch with your feelings. It'll be fun to watch you in Kaz—you'll be seeing images in the bread and goodness knows what kind of wild dreams you'll be having after a steady diet of potatoes, carrots and turnips. (Hee-hee)

Julian and Sara said...

Happy Birthday to you... If I remember correctly, it is today right? Get out there with your birthday gift and photograph some of those signs! ;)

Seriously, it was a cool story and it seems obvious that those are true signs.

Tricia said...

Susan,
Those kinds of synchronicities never cease to amaze me. They are definitely signs! I got chills reading that. It is a small world after all isn't it. I think that you will like Kostanai after the intial shock to the system of travel and change and chaos. The Delphin house is great, so it will be worth your wait (not that Astana is bad, but I know about Kostanai now). I really wish you would get invited soon so that you would be here with us. You can always take those other trips another time :) It makes it fun to have other Americans here for the comradery. I'm wishing wishing for you. But if it doesn't happen until fall, you will have an awesome summer. Tricia

Kelly and Sne said...

Susan, Just wanted to reply to the comment on our blog (thanks!). We found the infant vitamins at the local SuperTarget (or any drug store). We got Enfamil's Poly-vi-sol with Iron. I think the iron is important unless you are using a formula fortified with iron. Plus our boy is slightly anemic which is common in asians. The Univ. of Washington adoption center has some great articles on vitamins and transitional feeding adopted kids. Also, if you haven't yet selected an IA Dr., they were also very good at turning around our blind evaluation in less than 12 hours as we needed them to (and even gave us a private phone number to have them paged if we wanted to speak with them).

Trudi said...

Clear signs. No doubt about it. It is the way the angels let you know that all is well. And it is.

The Cook said...

definately a sign...I know this will happen...I am praying it will be soon.

Joyce said...

Dear Susan,
I so believe that even though we are not to directly ask for God to give us signs....that we are just to know that if we ask, we will receive,....I believe that He gives us signs. I am reading this after I saw Sean's wonderful announcement, but I do believe that God was talking directly to you on those three days.
Many best wishes, and know that I am thinking of you.
Blessings,
Kaz Grandmama Joyce