Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinnin......{very long post}



Remember that song back from 1993 by Tommy Roe? ( I did not know who sung it, I looked it up) but it went..."I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning, Like a whirlpool it never ends, and it's your girl making it spin, you're making me dizzy"

That is how I've felt since we got our elusive LOI on Monday. It's such a surreal feeling. The one piece of paper that you've been waiting and waiting and waiting for FINALLY COMES, and after you scream of excitement and call your family and close friends and announce it on your blog, then ...EMOTIONAL PARALYIS sets in. I didn't expect to feel like I did. I was totally and completed FREAKED OUT. I wanted to dig a deep hole in the sand on the beach, never to emerge again. My stomach was a mess, I had no appetite, and when I did eat, my stomach would hurt until I threw down some Pepcid. I walked my dog, and couldn't remember if I had gone down the street already or not, as my mind was so pre-occupied. I think we went longer than we usually do because I was having to tug Miles along (he is my 100 lb labradoodle) and he panted for like 2 hours when we got back. Joe asked what I did to him and if I made him run a marathon. :)


It was so surreal looking at this document, that I can't understand, and all I can read is my name and my address. Joe asked me if I was sure it wasn't a contract to have us killed, since we don't know what it says. LOL. Thank goodness for my husband. He is always so calm and positive and his dry sense of humor just makes me laugh. I am SO GLAD I have him. God really knew what he was doing when he put us together.

I have now settled down (somewhat) but my stomach is still not normal. In fact, I am callling this new diet the 'LOI DIET' because FINALLY I am able to lose a few lbs that I have been trying to lose now for awhile.

After Tuesday, my day of "emotional paralysis", I got to work on Wednesday and started trying to organize my chaotic thoughts. By Friday afternoon, my new dossier was done! I just have to have it finish being notarized and apostilled, but we are waiting for the notary at Joe's work to get her new stamp and she is going to notarize it for us. That was a huge weight off my back. I got confirmation from the USCIC that they rec'd my request for new fingerprints (They don't expire until end of October, but I am paranoid and would rather be safe than sorry). My social worker is on vacation until July 2nd but hopefully she can update our homestudy is a jiffy.
I started to organize all my "tips" that i've received over the last year in a notebook. I started to feel a lil better.

When I first started the adoption journey, I was so excited and nervous. However, you are so busy with everything and collecting documents and figuring everything out. Then, it's finally done, and you wait. You go thru the steps of translation, embassy arrival, region assignment, etc. And you wait, and you wait, and you wait. Then, I started to wonder, if this is really real. Is it really going to happen? I prayed a lot, and started seeing signs, that to me, was God telling me that yes, you are on the right path. I can't even tell you the incredible experiences I had even this week, as I have been "emotionally paralyzed", and how the people I have met seem to have been strategically placed in my life to remind me once again...TO HAVE FAITH! I have cried so many times I've lost count.

I have answered the same questions, over and over.
No, we don't know the child are are going to meet. No, we don't know the gender, or age, or sex. We really don't know anything. We know that we "requested" a little girl, under the age of one, but we don't know if a little girl is waiting for us.

My HILARIOUS husband was sharing our news with the ladies in his office. One lady said we'd have to get on it to get the nursery together. Joe said, "Oh, no, that's been done for a year. My wife is obessive". She said, well, you will need clothes and toys for the baby too, and Joe said, "oh no, we don't even know for sure the age or the gender of this child, but Susan has a wardrobe for a girl aged newborn to 14, and we can't recycle Sean's toys, so she had to buy all new ones"
I do NOT have a wardrobe for size newborn to age 14, BUT, I do have 6 months to 24 months. Sorry dude--a year of waiting makes a girl anxious!!

I think back to when I met my husband.




We met at work, and I had talked to him on the phone, (he has A fabulous deep voice!!)but had never met him 'In real life" . A friend introduced us, and then called me to ask if I was dating anyone exclusively. I was NOT interested in Joe. He was "TOO OLD" and he had "too much baggage" and I had been thru a divorce and didn't need that. Well, he was persistent, and asked me out 4 times. I kept hearing from everyone who knew him how WONDERFUL he was and what a great guy he was. FINALLY, He asked me out on a Monday, for a Saturday night. (His previous dates were turned down, because he'd ask out on a Friday, for a Saturday. Reason being he was a single dad to 2 kids, aged 12 and 15,and he never knew until the last minute if he had a free evening). He called me on Friday, for a "pre-date" date, before our real date. I did actually, have plans, but i cancelled them. Our pre-date "date" went very well, and "broke the ice". Our first date was awesome. And, you know the rest of the story. We dated for 3 years, and have been married for 11. His "baggage" is now almost 26 and 28. :)
I didn't "expect" to ever marry a man who was 10 1/2 years older than I was, much less, with 2 teenage kids!!!! Was it always easy? No!! Was it worth every thing we've gone thru, even thru rebellious teen years? YES! Although, sometimes, I wasn't so sure!!!

It looks like we will be leaving for Kaz on July 31st or so. I'm still looking into flight arrangements. We cannot arrive in Kaz prior to August 1st, so we won't be meeting our kiddo until Monday, August 3rd. We are planning on at least
2 trips. Sean, Joe and I will go on trip one, and stay thru pre-court (which seems to average a week after bonding). Court typically is at least 30 days after the end of bonding. Joe and I will go back for court. It's undecided at this point whether we will both stay the remaining 3 ish weeks, or if I will stay and Joe will leave, or if we'll both leave and just come back to take Baby Kaz home. We'll just have to see how it goes. Sean starts school August 20th, so hopefully he will miss very little school, and will still get to see Kazakhstan and hopefully meet Baby Kaz. I am still waiting to hear if Sean is allowed in the baby house. Sometimes kids are not, but I also know we'll be taking baby Kaz outside, so maybe Sean is allowed outside. There is so much that is unknown-but we'll just have to "go with the flow" so they say.

I will close this very very long post with what keeps me hangin in there, and keeps my "eye on the prize" and my heart from seizing in fear of the unknown. I have met these families before they had their "Baby Kaz's" and it's proof that it is REAL and what a blessing these kids are.

I have read for 2 months about Alyona, Andrey, and Alexa. They are all adorable, sweet, healthy, smart, gorgeous kiddo's!! It was such a pleasure to meet these REAL LIVE KAZ KIDS in the flesh!!



The Group shot..Alexa was not happy because Shannon took her away from playing. Alexa is an adorable happy happy girl and she loved flirting with Joe!
Shannon is a very relaxed and happy Mommy too. It was so great seeing them together!!!





















Alyona huggin on Sean. Alyona is a TRUE diva in every sense of the word. She is smart, very polite, very sweet, and VERY INTO princessess. She was hilarious. She was very proud to show me her room. She fits right into this family of performers. Her English is VERY impressive.
















Andrey is "all boy" and is a lil peanut with a ton of energy. He is very sweet and very very cute. He loves his "machina" (car) that we brought him. Sean was busy playing with the kids. On the way home, he declared, he was "exhausted". JUST WAIT SEAN, JUST WAIT!
Sean didn't believe that he was so active when he was 3.


The song that I will be hangin on to from now until we leave is George Michael's tune "Faith"....I've got to have FAITH FAITH FAITH!! BABY!!!

19 comments:

Tricia said...

That is so cool that you got to meet all of the Kaz kids in person. Pretty soon there will be another kiddo in the picture! I am glad that you are feeling better. But just wait for the Kaz diet :) You might lose a few more pounds (although I don't think we will now that we found some sweets that we like). Your doggie is so cute and your hubby is funny. Nice to read your story. There are many more good times ahead.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Well all your feelings are valid, so you are not crazy! How exciting! Can't wait to follow along. Good pics of the "S's" and their family and kiddos. Gena

Anonymous said...

That was a blast, and it cracked me up how Alyona loved Sean. Sean's got a girlfriend........ ;-)
Shannon

Jennifer said...

What a great post Susan. Great, great, great! I love that Alyona was hanging on to Sean. Very cute! He's going to be such a good big brother.

I have to really admire your perspective on "we asked for one set of parameters, but we're open to most combinations of parameters." I think you and Joe are so cool!!

The kids are darling. You are so blessed to have such wonderful realtionships with Kaz families around you. There are actually quite a few families in the Cities here, but for some reason, none of us have tried to get together. Rather sad actually. You are so lucky!

Thanks for the story of how you and Joe met. I had wondered, but never thought to ask. It was all in the voice! :-)

Hope you have a great and productive week! I'm sure the next 4 weeks will go by in a blur!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

It appears you all had a small Kazapalooza of your own there in Florida. Hopefully all three families will come up to Nashville next summer for Kaza-2.

Susan it is such a thrill to see you finally getting so close to your moment. You have been so patient and so incredibly supportive to so many families through the Kaz process, and I hope that you feel showered by the love and support we all send your way now as you, Joe, and Sean prepare. Take Care.

Angela said...

Ah, yes, the moment after the reality that you are indeed traveling to meet your child! I remember that feeling. As prepared as you you think you are, you find out how quickly you aren't prepared and all the anxiety, excitement, nervousness jumps in. You will have those moments off and on throughout this journey. Just keep the pepcid close by and take lots of deep breaths! I'm absolutely thrilled that things are moving along and can't wait to follow along as you find Baby Kaz.

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

I am so happy and so excited!

And, rebellious years? Pshhh!! You so crazy; I was awesome!

As I said before, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Love you bunches....Don't forget my Birthday before you go, haha.

Monica said...

So excited for you that you get to travel during the summer as you were hoping and Sean can go atleast on one trip and not miss school. I am totally expecting to feel exactly like you when we someday get that close to meting our new baby. Heck I get almost that nervous and stressed just getting dossier papers notarized... haha! Hang in there and just enjoy because you are SO close to the REAL journey and we're all out here to support you, pray with you and wishing you a quick, easy and joyful experience meeting your new child!
:)
Monica

Alysa said...

Hey, I'm on the same diet you are! Well, slight variation. Mine is the LOI-is-supposed-to-be-here-within-2-weeks-then-have-to-leave-in-3-days diet. And you don't need to lose an ounce, for crying out loud. One hot mama already!

I totally get your panic and all the emotions you are going through. You are very lucky to have Joe to support you -- thanks for sharing your story.

You will get through this (and hopefully with your stomach lining still intact) and will get on that plane on go find your child! You already have the faith. It is working for you.

Take care and big e-hugs!

The Cook said...

I am soo happy for you. I can't wait to read all about your princess.

dnd82001 said...

I think it is so cool that you got to meet all the the Florida Kaz kids. Very very cool!!

I'm sure all your feelings are normal for this situation and probably my dear only the tip of the iceberg since I am guessing the first couple of days in country are quite crazy with all types of unknowns - but no worries you are prepared, over ready and certainly up to meeting your precious child & yes your faith has much to do with getting you to this point!!

Stay well & stay calm - it will be fine!!

Darlene

Karen said...

The comment Joe made about the LOI cracked me up.

Dizzy—I know exactly how you feel (and sadly I do remember who sang that song) I was spinning around in circles. I had a hard time putting together the travel documents (even though I just put together 33 documents for a dossier). Once I got to Kaz, I felt even more paralyzed. I couldn't make the simplest decisions. I felt lost if Bob was out of reach. Very strange feelings for a person who had lived on her own for 12 years. So I totally understand.

I felt sad reading Jennifer's comments about us Minnesota Kaz mama's (being one of them)—I need to get my butt in gear and plan something!!!! You Tampa mamas are an inspiration and I'm sorry Seren wasn't there with Sarrett to celebrate all the homecomings. Maybe next time.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

It's great that you got to meet your friends' Kaz kids. Y'all have a nice little group there in Florida! Your little one will soon join the crowd.

You should be able to take Sean with you to the baby house in Kostanai. The families we met in Kaz took their kids with them for visitation.

It's so exciting that you're making flight arrangements! You'll be heading out before you know it.

marsrob said...

Oh SUSAN!! This is the most incredible post I have read ever in so long!!! It has been a while since I have checked blogs - we were away - and WOW! I sure missed A LOT!!! FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATS on the LOI!!! HOLY MOLY! Your description of the emotions...perfect. I started losing weight immediately on the day we got our LOI! I couldn't stomach anything! Anyways, we are OVERJOYED for you! Truly!!!

And how awesome to have M& S's kids and Shannon's too! Great photos - fun and joyous! Cannot wait to follow you through Kaz and beyond!

This is AWESOME!!!

With love!

Jennifer & Marshall (& AILA)

Gretchen said...

It sure is a roller coaster ride. You won't settle down again until baby Kaz is at home with you! We both lost weight while in Kaz. Between the stress, change in diet, and walking everywhere it certainly affected us. You'll have a great time though. We are here for you if you need anything!!! I'm so excited for you!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Great pics of your Sunday together. I love that Alyona was hugging Sean! So cute.
All beautiful children, and there is one more waiting in Kostanai for your next gathering.
As you know, we are so thrilled for you three. Finally, your moment is just around the corner!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you...I am keeping everything crossed for nothing but smooth sailing here on out. P.S. great pictures:)

Chris & Christy said...

Oh my gosh, what an awesome time! To have other Kaz families so close is such a blessing. I can't wait until my nanny and her hubby adopt from Kaz (did you know that? They just sent in their application to LMI and have already been approved!!!) it will be so amazing for Z to have that friend that just gets it. I am SO glad that you all have each other. Hopefully we can come see you all in the next year or so. :)

Christy

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I way too excited for you. I am sorry I missed Kaz Saturday - we were in Colorado. I really wanted to see everyone. It looks like you had fun and I bet all the kids loved Sean.