Monday, December 10, 2007

School+Shopping+Season=Slacker

Hello! I am have been a real blog "slacker" and I apologize! However, with regards to Baby Kaz, we have no new updates. We're still at the MFA, entering week 8 this week. I think we hit the holiday rush of dossier's at the ole MFA. I fully did not expect to hear anything until the end of January, but then Catalina posted that her dossier moved to the MOE last week, and hers hit Kaz the same week as ours. However, that doesn't really mean anything because everyone's timing is different. I must take care to remember that this is God's timing, not our timing. :)

When we "officially" started the adoption process and signed on with our agency, I remember asking the question..."Do you think we could travel by Christmas?" and they said, possibly, but "one must be flexible and patient in international adoption." As time went on and I collected my paperwork, I made my self imposed deadlines, but soon learned that while dossier collection was IN my control, receipt of my I-171H was not! So, right then, I realized that Christmas in Kaz was most likely not my reality. However, as the weeks rolled by, I realized that I really would like to spend Christmas here in the states, with my family. As much as I may complain about my Florida weather, and going to the beach after Christmas decorating yesterday, I have super thin blood and I would be freezing in Kaz this time of year. Even if we travel in March, it's still snowing in Kaz, which is plenty cold for this southern gal.

In the meantime, 4th grade has been keeping us most busy. I had heard from fellow parents that 4th grade was a big change, but I am now experiencing it for myself. The work is much harder, and the homework takes longer, and the projects require much more thought and preparation. Getting our work done while still playing sports and getting ready for the holiday has been a test in time management and patience. :) I have also realized that taking Sean out of school for 8 + weeks would really be a struggle for him. Thus, the 2 trip option that is being advised by our agency is really a best case scenario for us. We have also been super busy putting the house back together after installing the wood floors in our 4 bedrooms, and getting ORGANIZED and trying to get somewhat "baby proofed". We have this awesome coffee table with baskets underneath that we got when SEan was a baby. It will full of JUNK and small things that baby could put in her mouth. Sean was busy cleaning those out. It feels good to get organized. We are the biggest pack rat family EVER. We finally decorated for Chrsitmas yesterday, and went to the beach when we got done. Sean was skim boarding in the water, which was freezing, but not to him!! I have also been busy trying to start Christmas shoppping too. So, see, I have been doing lots of stuff, just slacking on my blogging because I have NO NEWS TO TELL!

The question of the day by everyone is "When are you going"? to which I reply, maybe end of Febuary or March, but WE DON'T KNOW. Then people say, Oh, I'm so sorry, I know you wanted to be there by now, and I have to reset their expectation and say NO, I am fine with not being there now, it's not our time. :)

One of my best friends has an adorable son of 15 months. He is now a fully mobile toddler and I had forgotten how BUSY they are. Mommy Maria never gets to sit down! I sometimes wonder what I've gotten myself into. :) Sean, however, is adorable with MacCaiden and is just enthralled with my friends babies. It's really cute. I think he is going to be such a good big brother, until, of course, Baby Kaz goes into his room and grabs all his stuff. :)



The wood floors are in and they look great. Baby Kaz has a room now!! I dont have a mattress for the crib yet, or bookshelves, for the 2 huge boxes of books that were handed down by her big brother. I also took a picture of her closet.




It's a shame she doesn't have anything. We could also bring home a boy, so if so, the baby house is going to get a lot of really cute girl clothes. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't purchased any clothes, but I did, and what's done is done. In reading blogs and advice, the best advice I took was to have NO preconceived notions of your child, gender, or age. I thought that way at first, but then though, oh , we'll get a girl and I went a little psycho. Oh well!!!

Miles follows me around everywhere, so he is in the picture too. :) You will notice my lovely boxes in the background-those hold books .I haven't found a bookshelf I like yet.




Have a very Merry Christmas everyone and keep blogging!!! Just because I am a slacker does not excuse you guys. :) I so enjoy reading the blogs, but I just don't have any updates on baby Kaz just yet. :)

27 comments:

Chris & Christy said...

I absolutely adore your quilt! Who in the world made that? Beautiful! I had to laugh at the closet, it is plum full just like the baby's closet at my house. I too would agree on the buying clothes thing - it is easy to go overboard and we don't know sizes or anything yet. Oops! I laughed to my sister the other day that if I came home with a little boy, we might be a bit screwed. :)

As for the 4th grade stuff, that is my absolute favorite grade!! I used to teach 4th grade and I loved those kids; at that age they can really understand good humor, and it is absolutely astonishing what they learn that young. Crazy! Every day before class I had to re-teach myself the stuff that I was to teach to the kids the next day. Our secret! :)

Happiest Holidays,
Christy

Sandi said...

Yeah finally an update. The floors look great and baby kaz's room really looks good.

Now get that Christmas shopping done or Santa is not going to be happy. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sandi

Monica said...

I just loved seeing the pics of your baby's room and your slackerness confessions!

I too have already bought too much clothing and I don't even have an application in to an agency yet! Ha! What I am mostly doing though is trading in out-grown BOY clothes at a local consignment shop for beautiful barely worn GIRL clothes. You only get about 1/2 as much when you trade them in like that so in a way it IS helping me declutter and make room for baby.

Oh and your dog is a cutie too!

And OFCOURSE you will travel in god's perfect timing. It really won't be long now till you'll know EXACTLY when you will travel.

If you want to see a CUTE baby and read of very exciting travel coming up soon go read my friend Amy's blog. There's a link at the top right on my page.
:)
Monica

Kelly and Sne said...

That is a beautiful quilt! And a lovely room too! I am in the same boat - we are going gender unspecified but figure that we have a 70% chance of a boy so have boy-looking clothes (though I did try to avoid the race cars). If we end up with a girl she's going to look like a tomboy for a while!

I also share your timing philosophy - on the one hand I'm anxious to 'get this show on the road' on the other I'd much rather wait until sometime after January to be better prepared and miss the brunt of winter.

Kelly

Matthew Ruley said...

She's BACK! I kept checking in and was disappointed every day! BUT the babyroom is GORGEOUS and that quilt is fabulous- you could coordinate a business around that. Floors are great and puppie is a cutie too.

I just cant wait for you to get your LOI and to travel so I can vicariously travel through you! I'm so excited my Kaz baby has a local Kaz baby to have a playdate with!

sabarter said...

Oh, I am just so sad that you got to go to the beach after decorating.lol It has been a miserable week here with the weather. Glad you are back. Hope you have great news soon.

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you blogged again! Even though you've been posting comments elsewhere, I've missed you!

I love the crib. It's very pretty. And I think Baby Kaz has more clothes than I do! :-)

I tell ya, I can't even comprehend the beach this time of year. We hit 20 degrees today and I thought, "Woo hoo! It's finally starting to warm up." Sad huh?

God's timing is perfect. It's not always when I want it, but I can't picture Gigi with any other family. They just couldn't possibly love her as much as we do! He certainly meant the 3 of us for each other.

Gretchen said...

Finally an update even though nothing new to report. The baby's room looks great. Don't worry, you will fond the energy once the baby comes. Serik is completely mobile on his own now and definitely keeps me on my toes. :)

Have a wonderful Christmas! Hope you hear something soon.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Susan, You've been missed! Well, I have seen your name here and there when you leave comments on other's blogs....but it's nice to see an update from you.

I love the baby's room & your pup! That quilt, I remember the first time I saw it...it's beautiful. We have quite a few clothes as well. It's just *hard* not getting something! Especially when we see sales :)

I'm with you on the timing. It's nice to be in the U.S. for Christmas - even though we'll still be in the snow (just not as cold as Kaz). Our time will come!

I'm happy to see you post today - it was a nice surprise.

Eileen

Catalina said...

Hi Susan,
I was wondering how are you doing, I did not hear anything from you for so long time. Your baby will come at the right time - I know it sounds ridiculously easy to say!
I actually started my adoption December last year and my homestudy lasted for almost 6 months - I thought it will last forever. You are right, every agency is different.
I keep bugging my social worker once a week, if she doesn`t call or email me). They don`t have any news for me, but they are looking for available children. Most likely we will go to Arkalyk (near Qostanay), but nothing is official as for now. She said that things are moving very slow bcs of the Holidays.
However, she mentionned that usually after beginning of January, many children will come out from database and will be available for adoption, so lets enjoy the Holidays and pray the waiting time will be short for all of us.

As for shopping, when I was about to start thinking about it, I got the news that my father died, I went back to Romania and I was not in the mood for those kind of things anymore.
We should probably start again to think about it but I just don`t dare to think is going to happen soon. We just dont want to get dissapointed. By the way, I am so confused now, did you guys need a psych exam for medical forms? We were not asked to do this, and now I read in other blogs that other families had to do it.

I love the Kaz theme of your baby room (its going to work for either baby boy or girl). And your dog, is the cutest :).
Happy Holidays,
Catalina

Unknown said...

What a closet full!!! I went overboard too. I always bought a little bigger than I thought we would need at first because I thought it would be better to have too big than too small. That worked out well for us. Dmitrii was in a 12mo when he came home and is now in 18mo which is what I bought. When he first came home he got a ton of clothes as gifts and that covered him for the size 12mo phase.

I saw your original post about the quilt and have thought of it several times since. She could really make a ton of money making those and selling them. Kaz items are SO hard to find and that quilt is beautiful. I know plenty of people (me included) who would buy one.

Regina said...

Thanks for the update! We missed you!

The floors are BEAUTIFUL! I see your Zoobie Elephant in the picture!!! So cute. We almost got that one instead of the lion. ;-)

I think it hit 82 degrees in Charleston today -- a record high! My blood is think too, so the spring in Kaz is looking better and better!

marsrob said...

Great to hear from you and you have the best attitude. Also, we LOVE your comments and we cannot tell you enough how much we have appreciated your encouragement and thoughts along the way. Thinking of you!

Laura said...

Glad to read an update! What a beautiful quilt! Something your child will always cherish! The room looks great! You will have the cutest dressed child for sure! Hoping your holidays are wonderful and that you hear some good news soon!

Angela said...

The room is beautiful. Congratulations on getting all of that done. I feel a bit daunted!

I can't imagine what it is like to have a child in 4th grade (involved projects?!). Luca has one night of homework in Pre-K and there are some weeks when I can barely get that in.

Glad all is well. I also share your attitude about the wait. Sometimes I feel a little anxious and my imagination runs wild, but I am good waiting for a while for our little "Saskia".

Matthew Ruley said...

Just posted this on Shannon's blog:

St Judes Hospital has a program where you get a free baby seat, you go to a program with the child, they measure the child, the fire dept installs the seat for you, and you drive away! Just borrow a babyseat until then. I think that's what we're going to do, especially since we don't know the weight/age.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Yeah, you finally blogged something! I guess you could say the same for me. I will try to accomplish that this weekend. The room looks really good and the bed is absolutely beautiful!! I had already seen the quilt, what a treasure! They really did a good job! Happy shopping and happy holidays to you and yours! Gena Lloyd PS--You dog is super cute!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Like everyone else, I absolutely LOVE the quilt! So so so beautiful! And as you saw on my blog, I completely agree with you 100%. Everything happens for a reason. You will travel when your little kiddo is ready for you to come bring her home. The good news on the clothes situation is that they dress the baby boys in pink here, so if you end up with a boy, he'll fit right in (at least while you're in Kaz!)
Happy Holidays :-)

Thad and Ann said...

The floors look so nice & the nursery is pretty too, I love the closet of clothes, it would be hard to not buy anything for a girl, there is just so much cute stuff out there. :) Sean sounds like a great kid, how fun that he plays with little kids. I love the quilt, so beautiful!
Merry Christmas!
Ann

Chris Sapp said...

Beautiful room fit for a princess or prince :-) If the maker of the quilt would like to sell them, count me in, too!!!! I did a ton of shopping in preparation for my babies. I was just cleaning the storage room and looking through all of the BAGS and BAGS of clothing for the little girl we anticipated on bringing home age 5. In just a couple years Natalia will be set. Buying things made me feel closer to them. It helped me pass the time. I don't regret going full force with everything knowing that I might lose those kids. I lost them, but I am happy that I loved with everything I had those 9 months waiting. I wouldn't change it. So...I guess what I'm saying is don't feel bad about filling up that closet :-) God is taking care of you and your child.

demarest6 said...

I'm with you 4th grade is too much!!! Reading your blog makes me almost want to update mine. lol Susan you are the picture perfect mom, your patience will serve you and Baby Kaz well. The Lord wants the very best for you, he knows your hearts desire, and will give you joy abundantly. Merry Christmas

Lynette said...

You have such a great attitude, Susan. Baby Kaz is one lucky little kid! She is sure to be spoiled rotten. :)

Matthew Ruley said...

I have a feeling you're going to hear something soon. Like as soon as the offices open mid- Jan. Sometimes you don't hear when the dossier makes it to the MoE. Is there a particular region you want to go to?

Aaron and Julie said...

Finally - pics of the floors! THey are so awesome as is the furniture! Love it!

Have a Merry Christmas with your family in Dallas :)

Thank you so much for your friendship and encouragement - you are awesome.

And - you will get an awesome 'call' at the time baby kaz is ready for you :)

John & Jenny Morgan said...

We, too, would like to thank you for the encouraging comments on our blog. We looked forward to reading your comments every day. Now that we're home, we need to catch up on your blog.

By the way, I also prematurely bought a bunch of girl clothes. Good thing it worked out, else my boy would've been very, um, pretty. "They" say that real men wear pink, right?

Merry Christmas!
John, Jenny, and Roxana

John & Jenny Morgan said...

We, too, would like to thank you for the encouraging comments on our blog. We looked forward to reading your comments every day. Now that we're home, we need to catch up on your blog.

By the way, I also prematurely bought a bunch of girl clothes. Good thing it worked out, else my boy would've been very, um, pretty. "They" say that real men wear pink, right?

Merry Christmas!
John, Jenny, and Roxana

Matthew Ruley said...

Merry Christmas!