Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Random acts of Kindness abound


According to Wikepedia, a random act of kindness is defined as " a purportedly selfless act performed by person or persons wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual or in some cases, even an animal. There will generally be no reason other than to make people smile :) or be happier. Either sponteneous or planned in advance, "RAok's" are encouraged by various communities. An oft sided example of a random act of kindness is, when paying the toll at the toll booth on a highway, is to pay for the car behind you as well."

I found it appropriate to share what a very nice friend is doing for me, since all my "friends" in the blogging community practice random acts of kindness daily in all the prayers and encouragement we give each other. I feel so incredibly blessed to have "met" so many truly wonderful, caring people on this journey!

Anyway, on my run with my fabulous running buddies this morning, I was lamenting on how I was going to be able to pull Thanksgiving dinner off this year. For the past few years, we've always gone to Joe's cousin's for the holiday, who lives only 5 minutes away and is a FABULOUS cook! I have slid by on bringing veggies and my famous weight watcher "Pumpkin cupcakes". This year, however, Joe's cousin is going to a family reunion of sorts with her husband's family. DARN THE LUCK! However, I have done Thanksgiving before and Joe does a mean turkey, so I was not too stressed. Now-that is not worth lamenting over, I know. BUT, there is more to the story. We have been wanting to replace our carpet (the bedrooms and excercise room) with wood floors for awhile now. We got a quote, and it was like 3x more than we expected. October came and went, and we had been too busy to go the store and try to find something we liked that was more affordable. Our procrastinating paid off-as they had gotten a great deal on a shipment of wood--Brazilan cherry--and it was within our budget (sorta). Great news--they started YESTERDAY! I was clearly NOT thinking how much work this would entail for us as well. We spent the weekend getting EVERYTHING off the floor and Joe disassembled furniture. It's all stacked around our house-on the lanai, in the garage, EVERYWHERE. We slept the last 2 nights on our mattress on the floor in our room. It's like camping-Sean thinks it's groovy fun. Anyway-they said they could get done in 2 days. Now, it's 4 bedrooms and an excercise room--and the rooms are not really that small. Yesterday, they got Sean's room done. Granted, they had to spend the morning ripping out carpet, and really only had the afternoon to get Sean's room done, but still, there is NO WAY they will get done today. So, Not only am I not really a cook (but I can follow a receipe and I am on weight watchers so I can make some good weight watchers thanksgiving things) but my house is a DISASTER AREA! wow, that was a long lament. Anyway-that was what i was telling my fabulous running buddies this morning at 5 am. One lady, who I've only met recently, said, "Oh, I MAKE volumes of stuff!" How many people are you having? She SERIOUSLY invited me over to come get some of her HOMEMADE butternut squash soup, some homemade cranberry sauce, and she said she was making stuffing today. She offered to make ME extra stuffing! I could not believe she was even serious. She told me to call her before 11 because she was going to Panera to get bread for the stuffing and she needed to know if she needed to get more. I was flabbergasted that this very sweet woman, that I only recently met, is offering to help JULIA CHILD my Thanksgiving!! Now, this is the same lady, that a couple months ago after the rumors of the "age bill" that would limit adoptive parents to age to 50 first surfaced, and i was lamenting about it on our run, who wrote me a note of encouragement about the adoption process and how everything would work out.
Melinda is OBVIOUSLY a very very nice lady and I am just so very blessed to have wonderful people in my life who practice random acts of kindness as a daily ritual.
Now, I don't need the stuffing after all, as Joe's cousin Elaine is bringing turkey and stuffing (yay!!) and we're not having dinner until after 5, so I am feeling so much better. I can get up, go run the 5k and 10K Turkey Trot, then come home and whip up some fabulous weight watchers sweet taters and green beans and get the house together. Plus, my hubby,although an "old man" at almost 52, is a TASK MASTER and he works so hard and fast. He even painted the guest room this weekeend as well as everything else he did.

I would like to take this time to thank all of my new blogger buddies for being such an awesome and amazing support network and for your candor and ability to speak from the heart. I can't imagine going thru this journey without all of you. Let's all be grateful for our MANY blessings and practice random acts of kindness EVERYDAY!

Love you all!!

16 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Isnt that very sweet? some people can be very nice, and you are one of them! Thank you for your comments on my blog. Really needed them last night. Trying to get over it today. Anyway, I think you need to share the sweet potato dish and pumpkin cupcake recepies! We're having company here on Thanksgiving so I'm making dinner. Don't tell but it will be instant potatoes, sweet potatoes from a can, Stove top stuffing and we're getting a precooked ham! hahahahaha!

Jennifer said...

Love you too Susan! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And oh yeah, BC flooring is awesome!! We have it too (3/4 inch solid) and it is amazing stuff. Absolutely gorgeous and takes the pounding of our three giant babies (all 3 of my dogs idividually weigh more than I do!) and their talon claws. The floor still looks as good as the day we installed it- over 2 years ago now. Baby Kaz will be able to bang her toys to her heart's content and not even make a ding, much less a scratch.

Regina said...

"HOMEMADE butternut squash soup"

That phrase just made me weak in the knees. Good thing I'm sitting down!

I've also been thinking a lot about how happy and thankful I am that we bloggers have found each other. What a wonderful and very real support network. I can't wait to one day meet everyone in person -- whether at Kazapalooza or some other fun event.

Hugs to you,
Regina

marsrob said...

Thinking of you....you are WONDERFUL!!!

J & M

Angela said...

How very sweet! You are so amazingly optimistic and supportive and funny. I would be lost without you and all of the other great bloggers I have met. I marvel at what incredible parents you will all be/are.

So, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I spent today assembling (AND SENDING) that dossier and cooking, cooking AND cooking.

marsrob said...

Hey Susan!

Just wanted to wish you and your whole family a wonderful Thanksgiving...We are very thankful we have connected with you. You are really amazing!

Thinking of you in Kaz!

J & M

Karen said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Joe and Sean.

A cool thing happened to me yesterday. I met a client's wife (Luba) who happens to be from Semey. I told her about the bill in Parliament and I pulled up the website that had all the details but it was in Russian. She told me she'd read it and get to back to me. Also she's going to talk to her mom (who is an accountant in Almaty so she's in the know when it comes to laws) and will also let me know what she has to say.

I feel so blessed, there are so many nice people everywhere.

Gretchen said...

We love you too! What a nice friend to help you out so much. I hope you plan on posting a pic of the floors. They sound wonderful. It will be so nice to get it finished. I know what it's like to have a house turned upside down with remodeling. Picture wedding gifts catching water in the middle of the night after a tornado came through with guests coming to stay. The roof was trashed and so was half of the house. My what a mess! Good idea to get things done before Kazbaby gets here.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Wow sounds like Thanksgiving was great!! Yeah and how about sharing the cupcake recipe. We could use something yummy and low fat! Your floors sound awesome as I know the BC is very pretty. Gena

John & Jenny Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John & Jenny Morgan said...

We appreciate you! Your kindness and humor brighten our days.

Love,
Jenny

P.S I'm a little (or maybe a lot!)OCD and couldn't let everyone see the misspelled word on my first post. My brain is going numb after having spent the last five weeks on vacation!

Susan's Awesome Step Daughter said...

You forgot your amazing step-daughter cleaning and muscling those heavy Baby Kaz boxes out of the living room with your taskmaster, haha!

Thanksgiving was great and I think we should have it at our house every other year. It was nice to eat in my nighty pants!!!

I know Dad won't ask me for help, but if you think he needs anymore, please let me know.

Love you and see you in another week!

The Cook said...

It is so true. Blogga mommies are the best. You are one of those people who are kind. I really appreciate all your support and comments. I can't wait until you over there with baby Kaz. CAN't WAIT!!!!

JennStar said...

Oh, I hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving and that your floors look amazing!!!

Chris & Christy said...

Shhhheeesh Susan, you and Sandi are really slackin on your bloggin. :)

Christy

demarest6 said...

You are the most amazing person on the planet!! I love reading your blog and hope that one day, with your coaching of course, that I will post with such humor, insight, love, warmth, and intellect. I love your honesty, you put your heart right out there, and it is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I am beyond blessed to have you as a friend. I can't wait make incredible life long memories with you and your family. Lovin you more everyday!