Friday, November 9, 2007

Update!




I got an update today from my most wonderful case manager. I really like her-she is always so friendly and so helpful and understanding even when I ask her a million questions. Since our dossier has been in country 2 weeks today, I was wondering if she thought we'd travel this year. I really didn't think we would, but I need to make plans as it's our year to visit my families abode in Dallas for Christmas. We go to Dallas every other year since my inlaws live here in Florida. It's so much fun as everyone comes home (I have 4 other siblings, besides me) and all the cousins are about the same age so everyone has so much fun. I was told that we would not go until next year, so I can book our holiday flights. That is actually great with me, as I would rather go home and spend the holidays with my family because they are so fun. But, I'm also worried about that bill that's rumored to pass that would limit the age of adoptive parents to 50, since my hubby is already 51, but he looks 25 and is smokin hot! No one seems to know for sure about this bill, but I am noticing that agencies are all changing their websites to the max age of 50. However, a post came accross the yahoo boards that stated , and I quote
"The draft code on marriage and family was published in September. It was only
submitted to the government a few weeks ago. It still has to pass both the lower and upper chambers of parliament and signed into law. Even if this legislation were on the fast track, it would take at least 6-8 months to pass. My only caveat is that the current law could be quickly amended to impose some further restrictions, but I have heard of no effort to do that. I think that those prospective adoptive parents who are older than 50 who are already in the process of adopting from Kazakhstan
and who expect to be able to bring their children home within the
next 6 months should not be affected by the new legislation."

That made me feel better too.

Interestingly enough, in my yoga class, a girl next to me, who was my partner during some partner poses in REVOLVED triangle (my least favorite pose) asked me if I knew this gal, and I said, No. She said, well, are you a runner? I said, yup, and she said, have you adopted a child? I said, not yet, but I am adopting a child, and she said, from a foreign country, and I said, yes, Kazakhstan..why? This other lady had told this girl about me (I was talking about it another yoga class) and this lady today has been dealing with infertility. Her eyes got all watery and she almost made me cry. We are going to lunch next week after yoga to talk about it. I talked to her after class for awhile. I just think it's so awesome how God works, he is letting me introduce another couple into the wonderful world of adoption. I told her it's a secret underground club of blogs and such and what a fabulous journey it's been.
She was so nice and she's a really good yogi too. It's also interesting that the whole reason I started yoga almost a year ago was that I was taking a break from running (dr's orders) and doing yoga to "chill out" to try to get pregnant. In that time, my heart led me to adoption, and I still love yoga, and even thought I am running again, I am DEFINTELY chilled out. Yoga really did change my life, and it all started with the quest for a child. It's hard to not have faith in God when he keeps showing me all these wonderful ways to enhance my life.

Sorry for the ramble--I'm just happy and I love it when I see God at work in my life!

17 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron and Julie said...

Aaron & Julie said...

What an awesome post!
I'm supposed to be getting work done and I took a side trip to your blog. Now I have to work thru tears :)

Isn't it amazing how God can work thru our lives when we let him?

It is great that you were able to get some answers on your dossier's status. We will pray for the age limit bill to not pass this year. Stay positive - it is not something we can control.......

Karen said...

I love yoga too but haven't done it in soooo long. It would be an awesome way to realign my breathing with my intention. You got me thinkin'...

Anonymous said...

Susan, as always, your attitude is so inspiring. It is great to be on this journey at the same time as you. Celebrating so many great family events while in Dalls will make for a wonderful holiday. Hopefully the LOI will follow soon thereafter!

Jennifer said...

Wow, how awesome! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I love watching how God works in our lives. It is so amazing and humbling- though not always fun when I'm "in the moment." :-)

Chris & Christy said...

You are so right, God does work in mysterious ways. I too have met w/ 2 families to talk w/ them about my experiences thus far with my adoption, they too are dealing with infertility. God brings us together, or should I say that God brings us to our journey of adoption and thus that journey brings us together with other families. Okay so God does it all! :)

Christy

Patrick & Eileen said...

Susan,
You update moved me too. We know the struggles of infertility. It was something we mourned about before we came to our decision for adoption. It was something that took me a little longer to get over than Pat. This too shall pass!

Since we've started adoption our hearts have lifted. Bottom line, we just want to be parents and this was meant to be.

As was the fact that this woman was meant to find you!! What a great attitude you have and it can only be very helpful to her!

Eileen

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan I am finally able to get on to the blogs and post!!!! I know you know how frustrating it is when you can't get on or post either one. I am caught up now on most of the happenings. Exciting that your papers are in country!! Yeah!!!! God does work in many different ways and it is always exciting to see what's in store next :). Gena Lloyd, you know Berik's mom, hope you didn't forget :)

marsrob said...

You are incredible. Do not apologize - this was NO ramble...you are being so kind to that woman. And let me tell you that she has LOTS of courage to even share about the infertility stuff. I wouldn't talk about it with ANYONE for YEARS. When you meet with her, tell her you know someone who struggled with infertility like crazy for years and years and is now adopting and she can email me and I am happy to offer support.
And, that is great news about the law taking a long time to go through...AND, that is SO neat that you have a family holiday season to look forward to! Your baby is going to be brought into a wonderful family - and that is just great. Thanks for sharing!

marsrob said...

As I wrote that last post (and this one too), Marshall is in his LAST yoga class before we go! He has the same feelings about yoga that you do.

Angela said...

I was thinking about you and Karen when I read the post about the proposed law limiting age taking longer than December to go into effect - WOOHOO! Great news. And, it is so awesome of you to support someone who is going through infertility. There is little that is more painful and SO isolating.

Thad and Ann said...

I have tears from the Yoga story, you are such a sweetie! How wonderful to be able to share your story & what a courageus lady she was to ask you about adoption.

Gretchen said...

What a terrific post! It is amazing when you can help open people's heart to adoption. It's such an a wonderful experience, one I would never trade for anything. I love little Serik more than I ever could have imagined.

Hope you get to travel soon next year. Glad you get to visit the folks. Sounds like a fun time.

I always wanted to try yoga, but never got around to it. Guess you recommend it!

Regina said...

"Secret, underground club of blogs..."

LOL about that one. :-)

I must say you have really inspired me to get back into yoga! I dabbled in it for a while by taking a beginner series class, and I loved it.

Your story is so moving and wonderful! So many people are afraid of adoption, and you can absolutely change someone's life with your "testimony" about it. And just imagine when we actually complete the process and can really become advocates from the full circle perspective, like many of the other wonderful comment-posters here.

So many hearts are ready to be opened. It just takes one person encouraging them.

marsrob said...

Hey there!

Just a quick note to say we are thinking of you even as we travel and go meet our baby. Cannot wait to hear your updates, so please keep us posted, ok?

Happy everything!

J & M

marsrob said...

Hey there!

Just a quick note to say we are thinking of you even as we travel and go meet our baby. Cannot wait to hear your updates, so please keep us posted, ok?

Happy everything!

J & M

Jennifer said...

Whoa!! Speaking of "smokin' hot" I just saw the picture of the three of you that blogger uses in the comment section. The pic that was taken while on vacation for your sister's wedding. You are one smokin' hot lady! :-) Maybe I ought to take up running and yoga if that's what it does for a person.