Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to the land of Kaz..Project Playground but so much more...







We have been home for a week, time enough to get over jet lag, love up on my sweet Leeza, and get adjusted to life at home again. I don't know if i can adequately portray what this trip meant to me, but while sweet Leeza sleeps in this morning, I will try.

First of all, I am forever indebted to all the people who supported us on this journey. I ended up baking almost 300 Cakes for a 'Kaz' and over 30 loves of banana bread, for those who wanted to go 'bananas' for a 'kaz', and sales from those cakes, plus donations, not only went to get us to Kazakhstan , but also enabled me to shop for bumbo's and baby toys to take with us. I was harshly criticized by another adoptive mom who misconstrued my fundraising efforts and asked me why i was asking for donations 'in the name of the Kaz kids' when I could buy my own plane ticket and the money could go for the kids. Thanks to everyone's support, we were able to fly myself, Sean, and Jillian..who, by the way, were amazing and awesome contributors to our team and I could not have been a prouder mommy...AND afford to bring donations as well. Had it not been for my amazing friend Laura and her family, who loved Leeza for us while we were gone, I would not have been able to go period. And, of course, my solid as a rock husband Joe, who has been dealing with the health decline of his parents, who graciously supported us on this venture too. It defintely takes a village, and I am so thankful to everyone who helped make this trip possible for us.






While this trip was NOT a vacation, because of the incredible legwork done by our noble leaders, Ms. America ..Stacy, and Ms.Organized Johnny on the spot, Kim, everything was SO organized and thought out, we had A BLAST. The trip was heartbreaking on many levels, as we all fell in love with the kids of all ages, but so joyous in other ways, as we connected to the kids and to each other. It was very clear to see that GOD was at work in all of our hearts on this trip. There is simply no other explanation.







The REACH team we worked with in Kaz was incredible. They set the foundation for the playground before we arrived, as the ribbon cutting ceremony was scheduled for Friday, and the weather forecast called for lots of rain. However, we got really lucky and only had one cloudy day, plus ALL THIS EXTRA HELP from the older boys at the children's home, so yeah, we knocked the playground out in 2 days, and were done by Tuesday afternoon. That enabled us to spend Wednesday thru Saturday with the kids, which was a gift for us and for them. It felt amazing to be part of something that was bigger than ourselves.

We had name tags in Russian, so all the kids knew our name. Sean was VERY POPULAR. He has a real gift with children of all ages, and was often seen with 'his posse' of boys, playing soccer, or just chatting. Jillian was also very popular, with the boys and the girls, who I think viewed her as a cool older sister, which, well, she is just that. Our team just welcomed Sean and Jillian, which just melted my heart. That sounds so hokey, I know, but it was so nice to see the way our team melded together. We all stayed in a house together, and with jet lag, and a tight schedule, it would have been understandable if we had all drove each other crazy. In fact, there was nothing of the sort. Everyone had unique gifts to bring to the table and combined with our amazing REACH TEAM, we were an unstoppable force.













While our team was awesome, and the playground will most defintely be enjoyed by the kids, what haunts me the most is all these precious precious children who don't have families, and some that never will, due to paperwork issues, and the like. It just breaks your heart. We spent 2 days at the babyhouse in Karakestek, where Stacy is adopting her 2nd child from, and where Ann, Gretchen and Kim all adopted their children from. It is an hour outside Almaty, and is a 'poor' babyhouse. Christy, Sean and I spent a couple hours in the room with the toddlers from ages 1 to 2, I think. The majority of these precious children were so scared of us at first, understandably, and were self soothing with rocking and one was banging his head against the wall. IT BROKE MY HEART. Leeza rocked at first too, and I remember it so vividly, because my eyes welled up with tears and i just scooped her up and held her so tight. Everytime I think of it, I CRY...even now as i write this. I can't help but think of Leeza now....a happy, bubbly, loving and affectionate child, and how it's so unfair that these children may never have the same opportunity.







There was a lil boy who was very wary of us, and wouldn't let us come near him. He was so precious and watched us closely though. In the end, it was Sean who connected with him.


These sweet babies LOVED their bumbo's and new crib toys, all purchased with proceeds from CAKES FOR A KAZ.













I can pretty much guarantee you that this will not be our last mission trip to Kazakhstan. If doors continue to be opened, then I think that the Serra family will do our best to do our part. I want Leeza to be as proud as where she came from us we are. I worry about her processing her information as she gets older, and it hurts my heart to think of her hurting, but if it wasn't for adoption, we would not know her, or all of the other immeasurable blessings that have come from 'Our adventures to meet Baby Kaz'.

Thank you GOD for the blessing of Leeza, and everyone you have brought into our lives because of her. We are lucky indeed.




6 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

What an experience you (all) had there. Thanks for the tour of Almaty. Zoe enjoyed seeing all the pictures, too. And she even recognized the apple on top of Kok Tobe.

Kelly and Sne said...

how fortunate that you were able to go and take Sean and Jillian to share the experience with them. We hope to take our Kaz children back there someday and you've inspired us to do it in the context of service rather than as tourists. It must have been such a different perspective being there and not adopting. Glad you were able to give so much to these children. I didn't realize that Karakastek was so poor. I guess that the kids in Semey are fortunate that, while they are short of resources, they are long on love and the kids are pretty well fed and cared for. But it's not the same as having a family to love on them daily so we just can't wait to get back there and meet our Little. In fact, our Little is going to need surgery (should have happened already) so I really don't understand why they are dragging their feet with our LOI. I also don't understand why they make the process so long and complex and therefore expensive. As otherwise, we'd probably be back for a third. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos - they make my heart ache for Kaz too!

John & Jenny Morgan said...

You're an inspiration.

Aaron and Julie said...

I'm getting caught up on everyone's travels back to Kaz. You were all awesome - your poured out your time, your hearts, your emotions, your love. I love the photos. Love you all!

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

I am in awe of you Susan. Lots of people talk about doing good, some even write a check or two but you, YOU are a DOER! One who directly makes a difference in a child's life. The world is a better place because of you.

AND the fact that both your older kids went along, working side by side with you, is a testimony to what an inspiring mother you are.

dnd82001 said...

Wow truly an amazing journey......

Your family's blessing to the children of Kaz is a beautful gift!

Thank you for all that you have done & will continue to do!!

Darlene