Tuesday, July 10, 2007

First Blog ever--all for Baby Kaz!

This is my first BLOG ever!!! We have decided to do a blog to update our family and friends on our journey to meet our newest family member-we are going all the way to Kazakhstan to meet her! We are on our way-our first required parenting class is Saturday 7/14, and our home study is scheduled for 7/21! Joe put our pool fence back up a couple weeks ago in preparation. Sean and I visited the library last Friday and checked out 28 books between us! It's Sean's fault for showing me the adoption section!!

We are very excited and anxious to meet Baby Kaz. We are still deciding on names-but everyone seems to really like "Kaz" as a nickname. :) We are not sure when we'll be traveling to go get her, but we hope early 2008. We are requesting an infant girl, and Kazakhstan allows adoptions of infants at 7 months old. I am busy getting all our required paperwork together, and doing a lot of research. Kazakstan is quick to send you an invitation to travel once they receive your dossier. Our agency tells us it's 1-4 months after they receive it, you travel. In fact, one couple that is over there now traveled only 5 1/2 weeks after they submitted their dossier! My goal is to get everything signed sealed and delivered by the end of August. However, some of it is beyond my control, so we'll see. Patience and flexiblity are key-so I am keeping up with my yoga, and running early in the morning to manage any anxiety. :)
I have found the adoptive community to be incredibly supportive and helpful. The people I have met remind me of the running community. Everyone is eager to help and share information which makes this whole process seem less daunting.

Timeline:

5/9 Signed contract with adoption agency
5/15 Mailed home study application to our social worker
6/5 Sent off application for I-600a (Petition to the Dept of Homeland security to adopt an Orphan Overseas)
7/14 Required parenting class
7/21 Home Study
7/29 Finger Print appointment for the USCIS (Important part of our I-600a)

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Congratulations on creating your first blog and your first post. I am so excited that we are going through this crazy journey together. IT will be great that our daughters will be able to visit and keep in touch with their heritage. Sandi